Who's Bought A Ford GT? | FerrariChat

Who's Bought A Ford GT?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ghost, Jul 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Not hearing a lot of news on this board of people who have actually bought the car. Whether you played the premium game, or because your dealer did you right, if you have one, LET US KNOW!!

2. AJF1

AJF1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I know a guy who traded in his gallardo on friday for a red ford gt. Needless to say after 20 miles he his ready to sell it and buy a 430. I asked him why, his response was the car road to roughly and the doors made it almost impossible to get in and out of if you parked next to a curb or a tight parking space.

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    *rode to roughly

*******, took me like a minute to try and figure out what "road to roughly" meant.

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I tried to take the road to Roughly once, it was a reel payne.

5. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The speeling looked prefectly fine too me.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Local dealer has 3 GT's in his show room.

2 reds and 1 black

All priced at $235k

Doesn't look like any of them have ever been started up :)

7. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers

*rode too ruffly

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    *rhode two ruffley

9. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Since Ford GT's are now selling in the $170's (see http://www.FordGTprices.com), I think you'll be seeing those 3 GTs sitting in the showroom for quite some time.....

The GT actually rides pretty well, but those doors are a big problem.

10. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  12. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Has he already purchased a 430, or is he going for the premium secondary market cars once they hit?

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Congrats, besides being beautiful and fast as heck, what do you think?

15. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Your GT looks great. So what do you think of your GT? Are you happy with it?

16. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Tom,

I think I'm close to buying a low VIN white w/blue, although I may pass and wait for a later production. (post speedisleeve)

Did you sell a Stradale? Can the 2 cars be compared at all?

Do you know anything about the Borla exhaust?

Have you seen a recommended breakin procedure?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Mark McKenzie

17. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So far, so good, I have only driven it 400 miles. I was on vacation for the first two weeks of ownership. It's very fast to say the least, I'll be taking it to Summit Point (road course) in two weeks. The GT 40 is my favorite car, and this will be as close to owning one as I'll get. Its difficult to enter and exit the car, its very low and the roof/doors take some time getting use to. If you get the chance, grab a ride in one.

Tom

18. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Mark,

I would stay away from cars under vin #500, that seems to be when the recalls ended. PM me and I'll let you know where you can find more information.

I did sell the Stradale, both are great cars, but I haven't spent enough time time in the GT to make an accurate comparison yet.

The Borla exhaust will only be sold through Ford dealers, it has a "Ford racings number". It is suppossed to be released any day. My local dealer offers 20% of retail. Let me know if you need the part number.

The break-in procedure is typical, I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but 1,000 miles is the period.

Tom

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great to know Tom and congratulations. As indicated earlier, blue with white stripe is my favorite color combo. From an aesthetics standpoint, I know I'm going against the grain when I say I prefer the stock wheels to the BBS rims, but so be it (how much weight saving is there over the stock BTW) - :D

Congratulations once again. And most pics are always welcome!

When you think these bad boys sell for MSRP?

Also, are there big blind-spot issues?

20. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Already about 800 2005 Ford GT's are in stock at dealers across the country (there are over 200 listed on Autotrader.com alone!), I'll bet they will be below MSRP by the end of the year. There is tons of info on production numbers, sales numbers, and selling prices at http://www.FordGTprices.com

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    These cars look just fabulous, and the performance seems well worth the money. I don't think complaining about a stiff suspension is a legitimate criticism, given the nature of this car. I have not driven one (yet) but look forward to that much, if not more. (I guess I'd take mine in a dark color, sans stripe, but Tom, your car looks greaT!)

22. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm familar with the site, but I would take the pricing information with a huge grain of salt. You could report anything you like and they report it. I may have responded to you on another site, but I checked every ad on autotrader, and found only a handful of cars. Most ads are brokers, advertising the same cars that they don't actually have or own, that they think they can buy then sell it to you. Most Ford dealers didn't even have the cars that they are advertising. I even contacted Ford to try to find the 800 hundred cars you mention, of course they couldn't help. If there is 800 hundred cars out there, there are doing a great job of hiding them.

23. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    FordGTprices.com is a fact-based site, not a rumor-based one.

The Ford GT pricing information on that site is from eBay completed sales, complete with links to view them. Here's one at a Ford dealer that just sold for $167K. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561623947

The Ford GT production numbers on that site are from Automotive News, with link to same (http://www.autonews.com/files/prod.pdf shows 923 built to date this year), and they match Ford's stated intentions to build 1500 per year.

The sales numbers are from Ford's officially released monthly retail sales reports, complete with links. For example, this one http://media.ford.com/pdf/June2005sales.pdf shows GT sales in June of 150 cars, and 392 cars for all of 2005 (due to the recalls stopping sales for a few months earlier this year).

Almost every one of the 201 Ford GTs listed today on Autotrader is at an authorized Ford dealer. There's a link to those listings on this page:
    http://www.fordgtprices.com/pages/3/index.htm

It certainly appears that about 1400 Ford GTs have been built, and under 600 have been sold. Certainly some misguided dealers may be holding onto theirs "as an investment," but there are hundreds and hundreds of cars available.

Many in-stock GTs listed on eBay are ending without the bidding even hitting $170,000. If the current market value was higher, people would be buying those cars for resale.

If the cars were hard to find, the selling prices wouldn't have dropped $50,000 in the last three months.

Here's an in-stock car at a Ford dealer at no reserve with starting bid of $178K (probably won't get any bids):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4564093759

And here's another one at a Ford dealer at no reserve with starting bid of $175K (probably won't get any bids)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4565123555

I do agree that Ford is no help whatever if you're looking for a car.

None of this means the car is a failure. The prices dropping to MSRP as production increased was very predictable, and just means that Ford probably priced the car right.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    GT Fan reminds me of myself. :D

275 GTB/4 prices are falling!!! Hundreds of cars out there, sell now, they will be going for $200k shortly and I can buy one. :)