Who's Bought A Ford GT? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Who's Bought A Ford GT?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ghost, Jul 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hatchback

hatchback Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Personally when I saw that the Ford GT was going to be a stylistic copy of the original GT40, I lost interest in the car. It's a manufacturer's replica -- a new car designed for (and marketed to) faded old men vainly trying to rejuvinate the fantasies of their lost youth. I don't live in the past so why should I buy a new replicar designed to live in the past? Yet when taken by itself, totally out of historical context, the car's performance is amazing, except for the supercharger, and its price/performance was amazing as well until the Z06 started shipping. Those living in the present would prefer a Noble M400, a Z06 (2005 LeMans winner!), an F430, or even a Carrera GT.

2. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Call NNO, there is an Enzo with the keys in it with no driver!

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    ...and its black too

4. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    But the new Porsche 997 being a "stylistic copy" of the original 1963 Porsche 901 is ok, right?

Oh, I forgot, anything the Europeans do is good, and anything Ford does is bad.

So when Ford is inspired by their historic LeMans-winning race cars (before you were born, I'm sure), that's unoriginal and shows a lack of new ideas. But when Porsche uses the same design themes for the 911-series for 40 years, and then even says the Boxster is inspired by the 550 (personally, I don't see it), that's inspired use of their racing heritage, and we should all turn towards Stuttgart and give blessings to the holy ones.

And yes, I'm one of those "faded old men" who has ordered a new aluminum-block, dry-sumped, 550 hp, aluminum chassis 205 mph Ford GT (that if you hadn't noticed, provides 95% of the performance of the Carrera GT at 33% the price), to "rejuvinate" the fantasies of my lost youth....

P.S. I've owned Porsches, too: Currently a 1987 944 Turbo Cup factory race car bought new from Porsche Motorsport North America, never raced (and for sale soon!), and previously a 1964 904, 1989 Carrera 4, 1984 911, 1982 911 (euro delivery, picked it up at the factory), and 1964 356C.

5. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

Most who have driven the Noble say it is a hug POS. The Z06 isn't that impressive either. Compare the C6 Z06 and the Ford GT and the GT stomps it in every department. The new Z is just that, a new Z.

6. hatchback

hatchback Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    I find it sad that Ford must settle for reminiscing about a 40 year old success rather than creating a new success today. Why didn't they devote their energies to winning LeMans or ALMS or F1? Is it beyond their ability? Or did they simply run out of good ideas and have to reuse their 40-year old ones? Too bad they can't recreate their old credit rating as easily as they recreated the GT40....

Anyway, it sounds like you agree with my main point, that the Ford GT is marketed to faded old men (who were born before Ford's historic LeMans victory) trying to rejuvinate the fantasies of their youth. Youthful men living in the present will want a taste of the Audi R8's total domination of modern endurance racing or maybe even the C5R/C6R ongoing LeMans successes.

P.S. I didn't say anything about Porsche in my post... Are you responding to a different argument than the one I'm making? Or do you hold Porsche in such high regard that their design decisions sanction Ford's?

7. hatchback

hatchback Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    GT Fan,

On different topic... I agree with you that the Ford GT when taken by itself -- out of marketing context and out of historical context -- is a special car, if only I could get past the replica taint.

Today I went for a Z06 test drive and on the way there all I could think was "LeMans winner" but when I actually sat in the car and saw how unlike a race car it was both inside and outside all I could think was "Vette". The worst was the cheezy plastic engine cover and the difficulty of heel-toeing the downshifts due to the pedal configuration.

Then I went for a Ford GT test drive just to be sure I wasn't making a mistake and on the way there I was thinking "replica" but when I looked at and sat in the car all I could think was "Wow! This car is amazing!". It's like an NSX with a supercharged V8. The only thing I didn't like was the door overhangs. Unfortunately we had heavy rains today and both dealers rescheduled the actual driving.

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    We all now your just jelous. if you havent noticed Ford puts a hugh effort in nascar and they do have 5 count em 5 cars in the race for the chase. Fords not worried about foreighn racing efforts theve been there won that. I would love to see the Ford GT absoutly walk on a Z06 at a track i know it will in a straight line.

GT Fan once you get your car and if you ever bring it up north to Toledo I would love a ride.

9. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    Yes, when you open the GT's door and get out, the overhang of the doortop is waiting for your neck. :( Be careful or be-headed. :)

10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  11. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    What do you type in if you want the Gulf colors?

12. hatchback

hatchback Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    You can see all the 2005 MY colors at
    http://www.fordgt.net/gt_color.html

It looks like they don't have the Gulf colors up yet.

13. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd like to see one with a nice fat single turbo in place of that blower.

I read in MT or somewhere that the supercharger on the GT saps over 100hp at redline. That's a lot of power to be giving up (even though blower more than makes up for it). A turbo wouldn't have as much parasitic drag.

14. SLF360

SLF360 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Guys,

I have the GT in midnight blue, standard wheels, and a Stradale in Red.... Love both of them, very different ride, and wouldn't want to miss either one...

I think for the money, it's a kill. Of course I paid over sticker, and all these fine ebay deals, well, good for them... But first of all, you need to find one as you like it! Or go to a dealer that has an allocation, and have him order the way you exactly like it. Which was what I ended up doing, because no way, would I want to have one in Red !

But you need to put the straight headers and the Borla on it, otherwise you think you have a hybrid with an electric engine aboard, coming from the 360CS with open valves...

15. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After reading over and over how quiet they were, I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the GT. I'm still planning to do the Borla, but it's not as urgent as I thought. I was hoping to do the tubular headers and muffler, but leave the cats, although it looks like there are 2 header choices they both completely eliminate the cats.

I found mine at a dealer for sticker, equipped just like I wanted, EXCEPT for the silly Subwoofered McIntosh Stereo!! It looks like 99% of the 05's came with the upgraded stereo, the Owner's Manual doesn't even address the standard stereo, but I have seen pictures of the base model, and you get a small storage compartment instead of the big woofer. To make matters even worse, for $4,000 and a rumored 80# weight penalty it doesn't even sound that great....

Other than my frustration with the stereo situation the car is fabulous beyond belief. I’m now trying to decide whether or not to do the roadster conversion…

16. SLF360

SLF360 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    I wouldn't do the GTX1 conversion. I have had 360, still have 360stradale but also a 360 spyder in the garage, and the loss of stiffness of the spyder vs the regular 360 is very noticeable. The GT was not even as much designed for the roadster version as the 360 where from start this was in the design brief, (but of course the GT with the typical doors weaker in the topstructure from start).

I would rather maxx the car with a smaller pulley and a custom tune, catless headers (unless you drive in California etc), and the lighter(!) and better sounding Borla..Then you get a real beast with close to 700HP on the wheels, and you'll be very happy with a good roof over your head and the extra stiffness..

slf360

17. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I wouldn't do the roadster conversion if I were you. Your car is gorgeous as it is.