Who's ready for The Masters in November? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who's ready for The Masters in November?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by pilotoCS, Nov 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think so or maybe so, I like him. I know some players don't like him. He's 100% focused and competitive, but that's no different than 90% of the other guys out there. The main reason players giving him flak now is for his equipment, yet he hasn't done anything illegal, he just pushes the limits.

I think this week good example of what you can expect from Bryson. He'll either dominate the tournament or might miss the cut. He'll be the longest driver by 20 yards and he'll take more chances than anyone else, it will pay off or sometimes he'll miss the cut. That's what I saw from him this week, a couple bad drives and then he lost confidence in the rest of his game too, his short irons and chipping were bad yesterday.

Husker likes this.
  2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It's kind of funny how the media all-but mailed him the green jacket last Wednesday...

rob lay and Husker like this.
  3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    He is now saying he doesn't feel well.

4. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I'd feel sick too, if I played like he is...
    I guess we should not make fun of him, he'd kill any of us on the course, but then again, he should, any pro should.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he's been playing better on the weekend, I think too much pressure as the favorite, he played like crap, blamed it on being sick, now playing better pressure is off.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I love rooting against DJ and Tiger!

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I really don't have any favorites in the direct hunt. I do like Rory, Rahm, and JT in the Top 10.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Tiger just had a 10 on a par 3!

9. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Pressure? When Spieth was the overwhelming fav he won it, and of course Tiger as well, some can handle it, some can't.

I think DJ is a prick so I don't root for him, but I also think Tiger has come back to earth and is more 'fun'.
    But can you imagine being Tiger, and anointed as the second coming of God?
    HE didn't ask for that, it was all the media like it usually is, and he fell into that trap early on.
    And all the zillion dollar sponsors you MUST deal with?
    Tournaments he probably didn't want to enter but his sponsors dictated that he do so, it all adds up.

rob lay likes this.
  10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    As a parent of a former competitive junior golfer, I can tell you that there are more brats (turds, douchebags, whatever) in this sport than possibly any other sport. A lot of these guys have never carried out their own trash. Parents wiping their butt. There's a huge entitlement factor among many of them, and they often have zero sense of the real world around them. They do have a God-given talent to hit a golf ball for certain. You have to have it to play pro, period. No amount of practice will get you to the Masters if you don't have "it", and a whole hell of a lot of "it". These guys aren't 1 percenters. In terms of serious golfers, they are "one in a million" ers. That being said, a bunch of them are total pricks.

When my son played his last competitive round, it was a sigh of relief for me. It has been 4 years now, and I don't know that I will ever play golf again.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was around the tournament junior golf thing until I was 17, I had similar experience. Although I'm looking at picking up golf again, I've only played about 10 rounds in 30 years.

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    About the only good thing about junior golf was, unlike other youth sports, there was zero politics, and it doesn't matter who your momma is. Your score is your score. Refreshing.

rob lay likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You've got to give Tiger credit for not folding up after shooting a 10 on number 12. He birdied the next hole and then the last four in a row, making for 5 birdies in the last 6 holes, which got him back under par for the tournament! In fact, I saw that that was the best combined score he had ever had on holes 13-18 in any round he had played at Augusta. That took a lot of intestinal fortitude!

wax and rob lay like this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow that sounds pretty depressing ... I’d love to put my kids into some light competitive golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I’m sorry. There are such things and it can actually be fun. I am sure that the there is a youth tour in your area sponsored by a section of the PGA that is low key. If the kids are young enough, often a parent can caddy. I think I was jaded by years of grind. I’m not sure whether it was the kiss of death but my son had some talent, so when he was 9-10-11 he won half of the tournaments he entered. That set us on a dizzying course of constantly chasing better equipment, lessons from gurus, practicing with snow still on the ground, etc.

Hopefully your kids don’t have any talent and they can just enjoy a few years of it, if that makes sense!

plastique999 likes this.
  16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So regarding the masters...obviously Augusta National is not a November championship course. Lots of Bermuda, soft and slow(er) greens, etc.

Yes, DJ shot a 20 under, but he’s not shooting that at an April Masters - Augusta doesn’t let those scores happen in normal years.

So do you consider this an asterisk * year for the Masters? In 2035 do we say “John Doe just completed the lowest 4 round, non-COVID Masters.” ??

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    2020 as a year is a *. :D Dallas Stars were in the Stanley Cup and played great, yet hardly anyone noticed. :)

Husker likes this.
  18. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    But.... Augusta last weekend was the same for everyone, they all had the same opportunities, one did better than the rest,
    no matter the weather or the surroundings.

pilotoCS likes this.
  19. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Random thoughts worth exactly what you are paying for them: 1. The media love the big hitters because the fans love to see guys hit it long, The odds-makers had DeChambeau the clear favorite; the media just piled on. David Duval brought the automaton to golf, DJ has perfected it. I guess he needs to mellow out after all that effort expended screwing his fellow competitors' wives. The Club leadership has pushed AN about as far as it can for distance. They have more room behind 8 tee and 13 tee but I think they are reluctant to add length after the last go to "Tiger-Proof" the course. There never has been much penal rough in the April version. As I said, without wind and hard and fast conditions, I believe 20 under will be the winning score in future. Golf is the true individual competitive sport that measures every aspect of your performance (no judges, you call the rules on yourself). I have known several guys who could shoot 3, 4 or 5 under consistently on our home club course from the tips, but couldn't make the cut on Florida satellite tours. The level of practice, commitment and MONEY needed to succeed (let alone the talent demanded) in golf is daunting. DeChambeau has embraced a unique, scientific approach to the game. His club shafts are all the same length. He calculates putts and shots with applied physics. His body building routine, along with diet and science was a drastic change. He swings as hard at the ball as anybody I've ever seen. He's not the warmest guy in the world, but who do prefer? Patrick Reed? I also give Tiger a lot of credit. He NEVER gives up and when he stinks, he takes it like a man.

plastique999, pilotoCS and rob lay like this.
  20. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yeah, folks were comparing Patrick Reed's antics in college to a certain Cam Newton's...
    I knew Wayne Gretzky pretty-much did an intervention with Dustin a few years ago, when he
    disappeared off the tour for quite a long time.

rob lay likes this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hey but LA got 2 wins COVID year !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I’ll go out on a limb and say we will never again see a winning score of even -15 at Augusta. Winter conditions neutered the course.

24. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Does this have any credibility?
    And Steelton Keith saying he screwed his competitor's wives....?? Don't care either way, just hadn't heard.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    without a doubt. 2 wives and then DJ was forced by PGA to take time off because of the drug tests.