Why and How to clean your fuel injectors | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why and How to clean your fuel injectors

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, May 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    LMAO thats funny! Arizona autohaus has them by the ship load.

2. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #77 st@ven, Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
    might be true but following the lead or looking with keyword injector or fuel injector does not give any,
    maybe they sell them by the ship load as well :) :) :)

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  4. royriccomini

royriccomini Rookie

Feb 10, 2010
    Saratoga Ca USA
    Full Name:
    Roy Riccomini
    I was wondering what is the thread size and pitch of the injector. I don't have time to buy the puller from Verell. I need to get the car back on the road in two days, so I have to make my own.

Thanks in advance for the info...this is a great site!
    Roy

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    V -- Can you double-check that? I've got the CIS injector thread as M12 x 1.5P....

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    OOPS!
    You're right, it's M12x1.5,
    I use a M10x1.5 bolt for the injector puller & forgot which was which.

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I have just read this entire thread, and since most of it is 2 years old, I have a question:
    Are the part numbers and sources still valid for a Mondial 3.2?
    Thanks.
    PS: I have 81,500 miles on my car, and it still has the original injectors. I'd be willing to bet they weren't individually cleaned on any of my 15,000 mile services.

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Following prior posts, I have found injectors for $21.77 each, but the bushings are $268.51 each??????? Any other ideas, please?

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The bushing 113309 is reuseable (unless broken) -- see this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274112

No changes to any of the Bosch CIS stuff in the last few years -- so Bosch PNs in this thread are still valid.

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
  12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Hmmm...just found this thread. I am in the process of trying to clean the injectors on a 911 turbo. It uses the same injectors as shown in this thread...I was so excited when someone posted a link to new ones for $20!!!!

But alas, the turbo ones have a small threaded portion on the other side too, but are otherwise identical. 20$ for the ferrari part. $100 for the porsche part.

See...ferrari prices can be less than porsche prices :).

gcumbey likes this.
  13. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I have a '85 308 QV. As I was re-furbishing the Plenum and Throttle Body, and had to undo the Fuel Line / Injector connections to get to the Plenum Nuts on the underside, I thought about getting the Injectors Cleaned and Serviced at the same time. The were not leaking and were working well, but I have considered taking them off. I noticed that the Injectors on my car seem to be held in by a Spring Clip that slots into a Groove in the Injector Hole. I have seen no mention of that sort of a Injector Retention Spring Clip in the thread...? So what type of Injectors do I have and is it worthwhile taking them out now? Thanks guy's, as always, a lot of helpful people on this site.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The circlip holds the 113309 bushing into the intake manifold (it does not directly hold the injector) -- the injector is held into the bushing by the "donut" o-ring.

15. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    So to remove the Injector, I must remove the circlip, and then how do I get the injector out? Do I need a tool like Verrell's? Is there some kind of a locknut to hold the (long) Injector in. Is there a schematic of the end of the Fuel Line, Injector, Bushes, etc..

16. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Basically it will just pull out, there is nothing holding it in apart from the O ring. You need to be careful of the bushing though - its made of a hard /brittle plastic & if you don't pull the injector straight up cleanly then you risk breaking/cracking/damaging it.

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    More precisely, several automakers including BMW, formally challenged the gasoline producers to develop gasolines which met what the automakers called "Top Tier" detergent specifications. Chevron was first across the finish line with patented Techron.

Home | Top Tier Gas

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Here's a cross-section figure of another K-Jet injector+bushing+donut+o-ring+circlip like yours:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you do a search on the "113309" F part number you should get a lot of prior threads on this subject (but don't ever buy a 113309 -- get the white aftermarket 400i bushing)

19. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I did not have to do this to remove my '84 plenum. And they must be the same.

All you have to do is to get a Snap On open end wrench that is open on both sides and
    has the same sizes on both sides but which are at different angles. Then you make a
    fairly large mirror so you can see what you are doing on that almost inaccessible engine
    front (towards the car front). Then you turn a bolt about 15^0 at which point the
    small wrench hits something. Then you swap ends and find one of the two orientations that
    allows you to turn another 15^0. Then iterate for about 15 minutes and you get one
    bolt off. So after a couple of hours you get all the bolts off. Then you change the
    coolant hoses underneath because otherwise one will blow up in a year or two.

20. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Karl, I'd be happy to loan you a fuel injector puller if you need one. Just let me know and I can send one your way and you can send it back when you're done. Alternatively, if you'd like to keep one in your tool box I have some extras available for sale: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/509578-3x8-mondial-fuel-injector-puller.html. The video in the link shows how the injectors just pop right out. The video is of a 328 injector/manifold set up but it is the same for an 85 308 QV. While you can't see it in the video, the circlips are still in place and you don't need to remove those to get the injector out. As previously mentioned, the circlip holds injector the bushing into the manifold while the injector is held into the bushing by the O-ring.

Also let me know if you need help cleaning your injectors. I have helped several Fchatters rehab their original steel injectors with great results.

21. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I am sending you a PM. Thanks Ettore!

22. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Price has now gone up to $31.42 @
    Does anyone know the Seal Part Number and which one is the best? Green, White, original Black..?

23. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Just bought a set of Bosch Injectors, Part No. 0437502047 from Import Parts Depot for $20.93 each and Free Shipping. They are the Brass type. It was going to cost me $20 each to have them cleaned, serviced and tested, so I figured this was a better way to go. Truth is they were working "fine", but after removing the Fuel Lines to get to the Plenum Nuts, and seeing how 3 of the lines were really tight, I decided to put in new Injectors! From most of the comments here, I am going to see a noticeable difference... right? New Injectors, new Green Seals from Red Parts at $3.00 a piece. New Injector Removal Tool from Ettore and a new VHT Red Wrinkle finished Plenum and Throttle Body. Wow! I am not going to know my Engine Compartment. Thank you everyone for your help!! This forum has been a life saver after I got the 308 QV. Like they say in Australia - "Ripper Mate!!!"

24. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Karl, don't throw those old steel injectors away. While the brass versions (-047) are definitely an acceptable replacement, there are some subtle differences from the original steel injectors (-010) which some argue can affect drivability. No question a new brass injector will operate better than 30+ year old steel injector. You can do a search to get the details of the pros/cons of the steel vs brass but at a minimum I would keep the steel ones as backups which could be cleaned and used later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

25. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Thanks Ettore, I decided on the new Brass Injectors because it was going to cost about the same as having my old steel injectors re-furbished. I appreciate your offer to service them, and may still take you up on it now that I have more time. Please PM me with your contact details so that I have a mailing address and a contact number. I will call you before I send them. Grazie!!!