Why are 488's Selling So Far Below Sticker So Fast? | FerrariChat

Why are 488's Selling So Far Below Sticker So Fast?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Admittedly Im more into older Ferraris, have a 575, but I remember back 10-15 years ago the 360/430 were selling for far over sticker for a long time. Yesterday I was at the ferrari dealer near me and they had a 2017 488 with 1000 miles for $35k under sticker. Is it bc they're making so many of them nowadays the premium isn't there? I was just shocked to see it so far below sticker so fast.

Afonsolaw and xfrgtr like this.
  2. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    More competition now with Mac and Porsche which has an impact.

I just took delivery on my new 2018 488 a few weeks ago. The car is epic. The 488 is far superior to the 430 and 458 (I owned both) in my opinion. Heavy MSRP 488's take a larger hit on resale so if the car's sticker was at 320-340k yes they are discounted a good amount. I kept mine at 282k MSRP and purchased just the essentials knowing I would get hit harder with depreciation if I optioned it to the max.

Afonsolaw and Shadowfax like this.
  3. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I agree with the post above but they are also making more 488s than older v8 models as far as I know

4. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Yes they are making more but it gave me the opportunity to finally get a new allocation which was a really enjoyable experience. In past years the 2 year waits made me jump to other brands..

saraojo and of2worlds like this.
  5. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    turbo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

iloveferrari and Finlander like this.
  6. wasax.rc

wasax.rc Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    Having just played around in this market, great question and I think it's a mixed bag of answers. Coupe discounts are much more substantial than spyders (not sure there is one on Spyders) Ferrari has openly said on conference calls it considers most of this model run will go to Spyder and my guess is some people took coupes out of necessity for other cars later vs. want and those are hitting the market now. I do also think there is some PAG and Lambo competition but the coupe/spyder thing is a big deal. I've also read (although totally anecdote here) that some owners have found the car to be more than they bargained for. Not sure about that one....I'm in a place where a Spyder doesn't make a lot of sense so the coupe is fantastic and the discount to sticker on a car with 300 miles drove me into the market.

7. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I doubt it’s the production. The additional production capacity is going to new markets that never existed before. 488’s are crashing into each other in China, when it would have been two bicycles crashing together 20 years ago. Theoretically, you shouldn’t be able to feel this increased production in existing markets like the US. And that’s what Ferrari is counting on.

It’s all the new competition and there certainly are a lot. That and the Spyder-GTB distribution others have mentioned above.

Makuono likes this.
  8. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    It’s all about option with regards to depreciation hits. I smartly optioned my 2016 GTB lightly prior to my spider build at MSRP at 275 (standard paint, LEDs, Carbon seats) and sold it for sticker with 2000miles on it the following summer when my spider arrived. 3 other folks did the same thing but had MSRPs for thier GTB in the 320-330 range and it was only when they dropped thier prices to around 275 that they moved.....

9. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Misleading. Maybe you should put “used” in your title. Then your question answers itself.

phrogs, Maciek, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  10. Heynowbababooey

Feb 17, 2018
    What are the smart options vs not smart options for newbies looking to spec their first Ferrari who want to minimize depreciation as much as possible when it comes time to sell?

11. HyperMac954

HyperMac954 Karting

Jul 2, 2012
    Ease up on that expensive CF. Don't do a 20K paint option.

12. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M

For me scuderia shields, electric seats, LED/carbon wheel were must haves for resale. 275 MSRP approx....

I added the suspension lifter for piece of mind, AFS lights which are required with the lifter , red stitching, and alcantara headliner to add some excitement to the build. 282 MSRP approx....

Car comes standard with nav and sat radio. Stock base radio sounds better in the 488 than the Hi Fi JBL sound in my 458 Italia did.

LVP488 and Shadowfax like this.
  13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The US market might have been different, but in Europe one has to look back at the early '90 to have used Ferrari selling for more than new prices for more than 6 months after model introduction.
    The 488 is more than 2 years old now, with no significant production backlog.
    In addition there are more overpriced options now (all cosmetic carbon), which have very low value on used cars - increasing depreciation.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

This is a good question if you're strictly thinking about depreciation. But, if you love the car and are really looking to own it for a long period of time, order all the options you desire. Who wants to have the unique opportunity of ordering a custom Ferrari and then cheat yourself from building it as you wish?

Clay512TR, Bhh, 3POINT8 and 2 others like this.
  15. Likely because the 488 isn't the greatest design, looks-wise. Turbo engine also for many is a drawback. CAR magazine just named the 458 the greatest Ferrari of all time. Not sure about that, but it sure makes a bit of a statement about the 488.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I have the feeling that the temporary bubble of 2014-2015 has distorted expectations regarding depreciation.
    Mid 2010 I could have bought a used 430 Scuderia 15% below its MSRP (instead I bought a used 599 GTB 30% below its MSRP).
    I do not think it tells anything about the intrinsic quality of the cars.

Napoli likes this.
  17. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agree. Never recover heavy option costs. Just saved 70K (AUD) on a heavily optioned DEC 16 488GTB with 2900km.
    Previously bought a second hand 430 with just about every option ticked 4 years old saved 330K!. That is massive depreciation! It then only lost 50K over the next 4 years I owned it.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Certainly hasn't happened over here. If you can buy em so cheap don't miss the opportunity. May well be just a temporary phase so take advantage of it while it lasts. Best not waste time overthinking it. ;)

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #19 Shadowfax, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Nothing out of the ordinary here. Having money to buy the car doesn't mean one can drive it. Probably more funny how they all want to be in Ferraris' rather than anything else. No crime in having taste.

20. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Agree

21. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric
    another silly thread.

Cigarzman, stavura and 100badboy100 like this.
  22. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Agreed with what others have said. Skip the CF.

23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Agreed.

As for optioning a car, unless you’re buying one to flip quickly, why would anyone shortchange their experience? Few have the opportunity to custom order a Ferrari. If you like certain options, order them.

24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Is that even possible? Didn't they make 15-20k 430 and 458 cars? How many of these are they gonna make?

25. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    My 2017, 1700 mile GTB sold this week for $263k. $300k sticker (shields, race seats, JBL, LED). The market is rough on the 488.

dustman and Afonsolaw like this.