Why are handbooks always listed for $ $ $?? | FerrariChat

Why are handbooks always listed for $ $ $??

Discussion in '308/328' started by steven_ew, Mar 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s the rarity and the importance of having the original copies.

lm2504me likes this.
  3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The bigger question is why aren’t these still with the car? Never understood why these items would be removed and sold separately.

Rosey and pizzadude like this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Cars get destroyed
    Stuff gets separated by owners or heirs that don't understand the value
    Stuff gets stolen during services
    For a long time, these were just cars, and things like books and light bulb holders didn't matter.

alex and Rosey like this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't either. I've owned 3 cars since new - a Toyota, an Acura, a Hyundai. Guess where the owner's manual and jack kit were when I sold them?

6. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    But going back to the question, has any one actually paid this sort of money for one?

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    check out ebay prices for a 250 or 275gtb. and yes people pay.

mwr4440 likes this.
  8. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Yeh, sure, but those cars are worth a lot of money.

I’n just curious (no more; I don’t have one and won’t be buying one) if anyone would actually pay that for an old 308 handbook; or is it all wishful thinking on the parts of the sellers

9. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    The seller is taking offers, so the final price can be lower at the end. I'd like to find a nice set like that or the window sticker for my 77 GTB.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Price is low for the complete set probably reflecting that its for an i - pouches alone have traded for more

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am of the camp "don't give a ****" about the books. My 355 spider came without warranty card and original alarm code. Years later on this site, someone offered those (exact VIN for my car) up for sale. I bit the bullet and bought (smallish sum, not too outrageous), it turned out the alarm code did not work so I bought it for nothing.

I am back to the opinion ... "Don't give a ****"

steven_ew likes this.
  12. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Kind of like everything in the Ferrari world I'm learning.

I mean a rearview mirror for a 308 is 2 thousand dollars? Seriously?

People are crazy. I guess if you have a Pebble Beach car it's worth it?

I'll be trying to fix my rearview or getting a "non FerrarI' mirror I suppose.

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Yes I have paid much more than that for handbooks and tools for F-cars. I know it's crazy but I can only encourage you to buy these accessories as fast as you can. This stuff is only going in one direction and that is up in price and down in availability, so the sooner you buy the better. Many years ago I also didn't care so much about the books and tools, but I have since changed my mind and it has been costly to wait. I believe these accessories will make is easier to get a premium price for your car later on and it makes ownership more fun and complete especially when you grow up.....-:)

Best, Peter

Nuvolari likes this.
  14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have a complete set for a 288 GTO, someone said they are worth $50k or more to the owner of that car.

15. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Yes. I bought ( last this month ) several of them and sold few ( only to current owner of the car ).

I never talking about price about it because I don't want to give any information to "investor" who would like to do business with them. I bought my first one because I still looking for the original warranty book of my 328GTB #62285 and I thought to exchange with the good one if one day someone have mine. I also discover that some US owner bought a warranty book just for concours to win some points and don't care if the book is the right one ( with the right S/N ) and tears the first page to hide it !!!

Back to the question, how many $ could you spend to have THE right book of your car ? How many 3x8 don't have original pouch with all document ? A nice 308 pouch is not easy to find for example. A burgrundy 1989 328 pouch also. And THE warranty book of YOUR car could be somewhere.....or lost for ever

16. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    All interesting perspectives. I guess we are all in it for slightly different reasons. Personally; as you can guess from my post; I don’t see the point but I guess it’s down to affordability, would be nice to have if you can afford it. I wouldn’t mind having the original registration number for my car too

17. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    This happened as Ferrari have listed the mirror as fitting all 308 models, BB models, 288GTO and F40......
    Thankfully, I bought 6 in europe before the price went up. Got 2 left....

Imatk likes this.
  18. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Concourse or not, it's all about "completeness", originality, and they're great reading materials. If you buy and sell any type of car, answers to couple of telling questions are sometimes a reflection of how a car was cared for: Does it come with factory books and tools, and does it have two sets of keys?

To me, as far as price goes, if you own a 1980 GTS/Bi and want original books, then $1,400 USD a good deal. BUT, if you own s/n 31799, then $1,400 USD is a bargain (at ~3% of the value of the car/depending on the car)

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well there is the Ferrari stigma for sure and it is eBay. Baldwin oil filters for a 308 are $30 on eBay, $12 at the local auto parts store.

Imatk likes this.
  20. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Exactly! I've found other things like K-Jet parts on Ebay going for ridiculous sums of money when I can get the same part from Rock Auto for a fraction of the cost. To the degree that I had to make absolutely sure it was the same part... fuel accumulator comes to mind.

mwr4440 likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ever checked the prices for a "246 Dino" jack?
    Even a lowly 328 complete tool roll in pristine condition was $ 200 ten years ago.

Rgds

22. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Supply and demand. Same as with any market.

23. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's really not that awful . . . btw that Blaupunkt manual is very hard to find . . . I finally found one for my car after looking several months

24. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Your car (3x8) Didn't come from the Factory with a Blaupunkt.

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I wouldnt pay ANYTHING for that pouch.

It is DESTROYED. The clasp-strap was 'forcibly' removed.

PASS on that example.

I have been collecting* the pouches for many years. Some had some of the original paperwork in them and yet most were empty.

I have a real rarity, a BLACK one like the pic above and one or two with lighter tan leather as well. I have no idea what cars 'sported' these pouches as OEM.

I collect Gauges and Fuel Distributers and Injection Lines too, among other parts. I collect the blue vinyl dealer manuals as well. Probably have about 30+ original and authorized reprints. Just another 20+ yr old 'tick' I have.

I have one pouch that was a personal gift from Enzo to the man (RIP TC) I bought it from.

Anyway, The paperwork IF COMPLETE and in GOOD Condition, is probably worth somewhere near that much to somebody these days.

EMPTY, GOOD Condition Pouchs (this is NOT ONE of them) these daze seem to run in the (If you're lucky), $750+ ZONE.

The days of near pristine empty pouches in the $300-$400 Range are loooooooong gone.

SHOP AROUND. FOR A LOOOOONG TIME. And look World-Wide. You'll find parts for US cars across the globe. How they got there ... who knows?

Sooner or later, You will get lucky and find someone who doesn't 'know what they have' and you'll get a GREAT Price.

That is how I buy MOST of what I collect.

As an example, I picked-up a 308 clock for $175 a few months ago from an Exotic Car 'Breaker' in a nearby country. I find them today, often in a range of 150%-200%+ MORE.

* - Before you ask ..... I C-O-L-L-E-C-T. Sorry.