Why are you paying extra 40% for a GT V12 to a mid engine V8 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why are you paying extra 40% for a GT V12 to a mid engine V8 ?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by jcl50, Aug 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    It’s a great car and all, but having seen the production line, there are, I believe nine stations. I do not believe one technician follows the line down performing different jobs at each station.

2. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That smile says it all!
    'Nuf said.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I was just referring to the V12 engine, not the whole car. One technician assembles the engine (the parts are made by different technicians, obviously). Not that it makes a difference, it is just an entertaining tidbit.

4. LittleLittleTiger

Jun 11, 2018
    UK
    What is your interior coulour?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    To the OP drive a V12 you will then know why the V12 engine is so revered. I have driven both Lusso V12 and T in the same conditions. The V12 is the one to have. The extra cost is the cost of having that heartbeat of anticipation when you approach her knowing what screams she can make and then when you park and walk away you look back admiring her curves and remembering the scream of that glorious engine.

The T is more than capable in terms of performance but she does not send that thrill down your spine that only a V12 can make when on full song.

LittleLittleTiger likes this.
  6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The extra cost is the cost of having that heartbeat of anticipation when you approach her knowing what screams she can make and then when you park and walk away you look back admiring her curves and remembering the scream of that glorious engine.

Can somebody get Dr Freud on the phone ? :)

7. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Basically it's because Ferrari knows they CAN get a premium for the V12 specced cars, as evidenced in the above responses.

Is it physically $60K more car than a V8? Of course not!

Marketing 101. Plus supply and demand.

8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Cuoio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
  10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Dolceexte likes this.
  11. LittleLittleTiger

Jun 11, 2018
    UK
    Thanks. I have berge, looks same. what a beautiful girl.

12. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Absolutely right! My little girl is the same!

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although I agree, I'd personally go with the V12 because... V12!

Nevertheless, the last time I checked with a friend, at least here in southern Europe, the GTC4Lusso V8 is outselling the V12 big, big time. I mean, big.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Why is a question I get asked often when it comes to car. I have often answered this way. "If you have to ask why, you don't get it and never will no matter how I try to explain it". This is not meant to insult anyone. I have neighbors who like clockwork leave for their Jersey shore houses every Friday and return on Sunday. I just don't get it (and probably never will), though this winter I will be buying one of those shore houses (for girlfriend to use) myself.

15. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Very true, While we love our V12s, the market is telling us that there are plenty of people who prefer a V8 at least with the current price difference. My dealer tells me that in the UK less than 1 in 10 GTC4Lussos sold is a V12.

Even though the Lusso V8 was marketed as a taxation related (4 litre tax in countries such as China), the Ferrari marketing people have done their home work and launched it worldwide rather than offering it just in those countries as they did with the 208 turbo back in the early 80s when Italy had a 2 litre tax. Those cars were only sold in Italy (and New Zealand).

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thank you! My one year + old is almost ready for her front facing car seat next to her....at a recent car show and the car seat put a smile on everyone’s face....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jumpinjohn likes this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Your question is kind of like asking why pay for a fancy watch when a smart watch costs 1/20th the price and does so much more. Ferrari makes the best engines period. Their V8 is fantastic. But the V12 is THE Ferrari engine.

jumpinjohn likes this.
  18. jcl50

jcl50 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Thats correct the V12 is the real Ferrari engine, but while paying the premium we also get the trade off of front engine vs mid engine ... so I ask this question.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its really just a matter of what you want. I think the V12 is the iconic Ferrari engine, but if you look at history you will see they've made all sorts of engines, all at least very good and some truly excellent. I think you have to compare the two cars in question to know the answer. With the cars before the 488 and 812, I would say the V8 are more playful, the V12 a bit more "GT". But the 488 can do "GT" very well, and the 812 can do playful very well. So my preference would be for the V12. You really feel the engine as being the "heart" and "soul" of the car. And yes, it builds into that knowing each engine is hand made by 1 engineer and the V12s have their dedicated line and it is a little bit more special.

If you are comparing the V12 v V8 for the GTC4, I would pick the V12, but then there is the issue of price and also where you live and how you will drive it. The V8 might make more sense. Where I live, and how I will drive it, the V12 makes more sense. And thats before we get into my preference for the V12.

bobbyd likes this.
  20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Very true. I thought I would really miss the 488 when we traded for the 812. I don’t really. All depends on what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I’d be really surprised if 9 out of 10 Lusso in the U.K. are V8. I would guess closer to 50:50.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well... The Columbo-designed V-12 is THE Ferrari Engine.

So says this old fart who is old enough to remember and to have owned one!

:)

Matt

635CSI and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Totally agree! And there is nothing like driving one of those. Yet, despite the differences, the V12s of today really feel like they have commonality to the V12s of the past, even if they are designed by different people, different eras. If you really love all the mechanical sensations and love being closer to the action, there is nothing better than a classic Ferrari V12.

Smiles likes this.
  24. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    You and me both. I double checked with a German dealer and while he didn't give a number, he said that a big majority were V8. He said the V12s were mainly bought by those actually using the 4wd for skiing etc. And there was me thinking it was all about the V12. He also said there were no plans to discontinue the V12 Lusso despite rumours.

25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Well, I’m part of the 1-out-of-10 and mine most likely won’t be going skiing. At least not intentionally... I must admit, the 4x4 does have an appeal though. Using a Ferrari whenever you want to is part of the compelling appeal of the Lusso.

deltona likes this.