Why aren't French cars being imported to the US? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why aren't French cars being imported to the US?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Dec 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Now, FIAT is trying.... again... (I'm not counting Jeep, etc.)

They've also sold a ton of cars here in the past...and recently...

2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    While on the topic of exciting cars that are well built today, what car or car manufacturer do you like? This is a genuine question.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The market nitch French cars would be competing in is already very well served and the competition is tough. It would be very expensive to return to the US market and no real demand for French vehicles by average car buyer. IMO they would flop big time. The Asian companies have the low to mid range vehicle dialed in and US auto makers seem to think the average buyer wants a truck or some kind of SUV since Ford is getting out of the sedan biz and GM seems to be following them. So why would the French auto makers think they could compete?

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The french used to have some unique products which appealed to a niche. Today all cars are of a common mold. The last french car I drove a renault scenic last year had yugo quality interior no power and nothing special. What is did have and what was superb was suspesion resolution. Great ride compliance and good handling. French cars were always good at this and the trait remains. The germans could learn more than a thing or two from the french when it comes to suspension dynamics, same for the japanese.

Basically a nissan is a french car with a better interior and crappier suspension.

The only French car with any real appeal is the new Alpine. They could probably sell a few thousand here through specialty stores.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are a number of very interesting options from both the USA and Europe. I don't care if you want performance, SUVs, trucks or sedans. I do like to buy American but currently I drive a Ford Lightning and the other half has an AMG E55.

I think the current German cars are pretty overated and if I was in the market would be looking at an American car.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I remember looking at the LeCar with its three bolt wheels and thinking that that’s too few...

Matt

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Owned an Eagle Medallion Wagon, a 504 Wagon, a LeCar with the fabric sunroof and two Citroen DS’(19 and 21). I enjoyed the French experience - leisurely acceleration, extreme comfort and suspensions to kill for. All were brimming with innovation, idiosyncrasies and a unique perspective. Now they’ve gone mainstream to survive and therefore it’d be redundant to import them when there are others who crush at cookie cutter.

8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Interesting. I don't see what I feel are too many options currently that offer a great value proposition. I find it hard to justify spending new car money. I leased an M3 with a 66% residual but I don't think I'd buy it and own it longer term.