Why buy a vintage Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why buy a vintage Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Texas Forever, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    this is a great thread!

I would add that you should not be afraid to work on your car. If you do not work on cars at a basic level, then you will probalby find more frustration than joy in your ownership. The beauty of these old cars is that you DON'T need a diagnostic computer to reset the CPU, blah, blah, blah.

This may seem bizarre, but I actually am a little excited when something breaks (something less than an exploding engine) - it's an opportunity to get under the Beast's skin and she how she ticks. Just this past Friday, I started getting a wicked pull to the right coming off the brakes. Sure enough, I had a partially frozen caliper - front calipers and hoses are off, pistons and seals coming from Geoff Ohland by Wednesday, and will be on the road w/ 3 friends in the car for a trip to Reading PA for the Concours on Sunday morning.

I agree with the post re: starting the car is an event. I always love giving a new person a ride - watching their faces as I go through the anachronistic 7-step starting process . . . And I can honestly say that I have NEVER pumped gas into the car without a stranger coming up and ask about/slobber on the car.

And the driving experience? forget about it. Once the temps are off the bottom peg, there is absolutely nothing like the sound of ripping up the revs past 5000 to the next shift. The car is so feminine and masculine at the same time - it is absolutely beautiful to look at, but an undeniable brute when revved at a stoplight.

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

A vintage Ferrari sorts was a blend of two personal desires...a Ferrari and an older car that I could learn and work on.

I was hooked on cars long before Ferraris. However, I read the R&T review of the 275 GTS*4 NART Spyder when the issue was released (why, yes I am an old fart, why do you ask?). While I had read about Ferraris before, the statement from that article still resonates with me... "the most satisfying sports car in the world". While I'll never own a NART Spyder, I knew then that I would own a Ferrari some day. While the newer cars are better in most dimensions (comfort, performance, reliability), you can't work on them without significant training and even then, the only option is usually replacement of this module or that. On the C4, I can tinker with carbs, change the ignition system, replace odds and ends that have worn out. Keeps me off the streets...sometimes literally! Gradually, I can even progress to more complex maintenance, e.g. valve adjustment.

Another option that meets my interests would be a newer Ferrari and an old Mustang, E-body Mopar, BMW 3CS, etc. And I would seriously consider this, too.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Erik,
    What color was that 275 gtb/4 your fil had?

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

What makes these cars so great is very abstract. I hate to sound like swooning ******, but lets face it, its the Spirit of the Prancing Horse.

5. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I've driven modern ferraris and I loved them-a black 355 spider would be great. But there is something really great about holding that big wooden wheel and hearing the roar of a big V12 rocket you down the road. Since you really can't use a modern ferrari to its full potential off the track without going to jail (at least in the police state of maryland), a vintage one gives visceral thrills at a slightly slower speed.

The other important issue is most of the 60s and 70s ferraris are done with their depreciation. I can't afford to buy a 360 and lose 40K driving it around for a year.

6. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    All well said! My 328 (not vintage) is great because you can still stress the car and not wind up in jail. I drove a 360 thought it was way too easy to drive- not much of a challenge. I love to imagine the stories these old car could tell you. I love patina. Over-restoration drives me nuts. I have never driven or been in a vintage Ferrari, but I know I'll love it. I have a deposit on a series 2 330 GT 2+2 so I'll find out soon!!!

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Chuck, can you elaborate a bit more here? Was driving the GTC a little less crisp? One thing that I found was that I'd have to get used to the bigger steering wheel and the need for more steering inputs. What I'm used to being able to do is to put the inside wheel right "There" on a curve, with "There" is a spot no more than 5" wide. The vintage cars that I have driven seemed to be bit more vague. I'm guessing that this would be more of a transititional issue that goes away over time.

Thx, Dale

8. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    My FIL's Alloy 275GTB/4 was red with black interior. He bought it from Chinetti in about 1969 and sold it in the mid 80's.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I don't have a lot to add to this great thread, but I thought I'd address the three questions Dr. Tax asked. (They come from different posts in this thread, but for simplicity's sake I combined them here.)

Dr. Tax, what Ferrari are you considering? Or, what Ferraris of the period are you familiar with? What’s you point of reference?

A T-spec 911 is a great car. An S is even better. But if you felt overwhelmed by its visceral essence, you may actually overdose on a similar Ferrari. That—along with lower production numbers—is why a single Ferrari is worth a handful of similar Porsches.

There’s nothing vague—and nothing that’s not crisp—about vintage Ferrari steering. My 330 GT has power steering, and I’ve described it before as a revelation. I think that all modern steering should be so good. You can place any tire exactly where you want it, and there’s no need for excessive steering wheel shuffling. It’s one of a number of things that make the Ferrari so much better than any of its contemporaries.

Finally, I don’t think too much of the concours crowd, which is why I like your forum signature so much!

--Matt

10. 67GTC

67GTC Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westchester, CA
    No, I've got to agree with Matt - the driving and cornering is precise, once you find the limits of the car. My recent drive was a learning experience in this regard. I overcooked a couple of turns, but had a great time by the end of the day using the throttle to drift the car through the curves. The car feels very planted as long as you don't over-drive the capabilities of the tires. The vintage tires certainly play a role, and the rubber needs to be relatively fresh. My XWX's are 4 years old and seem fine. Another aspect of the driving experience for me is that the car seems to "shrink" as you go faster. Low speed driving makes the car seem larger than it is, but as speed increases the car feels tossable and light on its feet.

Keep it coming, this is a great thread!

Chuck

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In the transaxle cars, a GTC or a Daytona. In the live axles, a 330 2+2+ Series II. I have asked this question before and never got much of an answer so I'll ask again, is a transaxle worth $40k when you are driving?

I wasn't overdosing, I don't think. I was actually comparing it to the Maranello. Both demand a lot of attention while driving, but the older Porsche demanded a higher level of attention.

Again, I'm comparing it to the Maranello which is effortlessly crisp. In the Maranello, all you have to do is think and the car turns. The older Ferraris that I have driven required a deliberate toss of the wheel. It may not be fair to compare two Ferraris that are 30 years apart. But in financial terms, you can buy a great Maranello for the price of a good Daytona.

You see, I'm a driver. I am not a lover, not of cars anyway. I am already in the process of mothballing my 1970 Triumph Bonneville. So whenever I want to sip on an adult beverage and glaze on a beautiful machine, there you go. But when I want to drive, I want to drive. I'm just trying to decide if a vintage Ferrari would be a better drive than my Maranello.

As always, your's and anybody else's thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Dr "Got my motor running" Tax

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    if driving is the single criteria than do NOT swap the maranello for a vintage version, indepndent rear suspension, or not. It would not be nearly as telepathic, precise, consistent, or capable. When you drive one, the years of progress become obvious.
    It is just some of us have anachronistic tendencies and yearnings.
    The solution?
    A 550/575 ---AND---- a Daytona (or GTC-Phil Hill's favorite).

I am hoping to replace my Alfa Spider with a 348 Spider/coupe in order to keep the 250 GTE better company. I wander how much attic crap I would have to pawn to the ebay clowns to achieve this goal...?

thx
    luke

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can I hire you as a consultant to explain all this to my wife/CEO? I'm afraid that I have burned too many bridges in the past, e.g., don't even think about using the "it's an investment" angle. The best I have come up with so far is to say that it is cheaper than gold.

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Dale: I use " it's cheaper than drugs" which seems to fly. I used to use "cheaper than horse" but she wanted to try horses so I dropped that one.They eay whether you use them or not.

15. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Not to pry, but we need to understand your better half a little to craft an appropriate strategy here.

If you gave her $100k to spend on her idea of a "toy", what would it be?

Example: if she wants to remodel, the response is "we can eat in a Ferrari, but we can't drive a new kitchen"

16. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I use:
    "cheaper than crack or......a mistress" argument. Of course, she knows that I am not yet at a level of income to be able to afford a mistress, but I do get addicted to things easily.
    There is always the "ask for forgiveness" instead of "ask for permission" route, but this might lead to a very expensive car in the end (and her lawyers would own it).

In the long run, I just buy cheap and seek out 2+2s, taking the pleasure in doing some sorting myself. With the 4 seaters, you get 90 percent of the fun and cachet, but 30 percent of the cost (don't quote me on that). The 308GT4 and the 250 GTE provided plenty of grins, as did an E-type 2+2, a Mustang Fastback GT, Porsche 911 C4, etc., etc.

BTW, CEO is not the proper term, it is CFO, Chief Family Officer. Or, "she who must be obeyed" in the vernacular.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    She sez that she would first buy a pump shotgun. She would then hide the money and blow away anybody, including me, who got near her stash.

Dr "Desperate" Tax

18. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

OK, then it's "look, we buy this vintage Ferrari (since you can't stick a new Ferrari in the garage, eh) plus the shotgun and stick it in the garage forever." THEN, tell her "well, if it was a simple stash of cash, we would know it's OK, but you can't tell that with a car" Start it up...just maybe she'll get hooked?!

19. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Dale,

Just give it up. You must be the wrong person for the Vintage route, otherwise you would have gotten one already (but you still get to drive my car). I suggest you ADD an Elise to your stable. Much cheaper as a combination in the long run, and you might just get out of the combo what you "need" (including a removable roof AND an airco).

Also, adding the Lotus might do less damage on the home front.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    In my opinion, it's not worth it for the transaxle alone.

The rear suspension on the 330 GT 2+2 is an odd solution that uses both leaf springs and coilovers to locate the live rear axle. It's traditional Ferrari, and it works really, really well.

At the limit, you're going to know that you're driving a live axle car. Then again, that live axle gives you a much more gradual limit, which lets you enjoy exploring that limit a bit more often.

Personally, I chose a 330 2+2+ Series II because I thought it was an outstanding value. It's also very easy to resell if you think you've made a mistake. And it's one of the few Ferraris that are appreciating at a significant rate, according to the Ferrari Market letter.

It also makes a great stepping stone to whatever your older, more expensive dreamcar Ferrari is: a Daytona perhaps, or a 275 GTB/4? For me, it's a Pininfarina Cabriolet II.

Good luck in your search, DrTax!

--Matt

21. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    I concur relative to performance: a 330 GT or GTC is not a slug. At the local track my 330 GT was ignored by a 355 driver (one of the instructors) until they were both on the track together. When we came off, he came by and said with some surprise "You were almost keeping up with me!" Would have come closer with performance tires and antilock brakes.
    (In the interest of full disclosure it was not me driving, but a friend who has a SCCA license.).
    But look under a Classic 60s Ferrari. The basic setup looks a lot like the factory racers of the era, which handled well enough to win a few races. I am sure the modern feel is different now, but when pushed, the vintage Ferrari handles pretty well. And a good running 330 V-12 speaks for itself!

Cheers
    Warren

gi

22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Don't look now dude, but your car is 47 years old!

23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I have always liked these types of threads and follow them. But, aside from the charm and mystique that only the older car can offer, the older car actually breaks down, so you get to use your head and your Snap-ons to fix it. Then, if you cannot fix it, you get to talk to people, write to peole and all that. Who cares about going fast in comfort on the freeway? My new Subaru can offer me that.

john

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well said.

An old Ferrari is nice because it gives a vintage car experience that can still easily keep up with modern traffic.

(And I like how Warren resurrected a ten-year-old thread!) :)

Matt

25. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    Your phrase "easily keep up with modern traffic." is the most practical way of comparing the performance of modern vs. vintage cars, if we are talking about actually putting them on the road. I can't think of anyplace I drive here in the east where a 150 mph vs a 200 mph top speed has any meaning. Probably very few tracks have a long enough straight to get near maximum speed. And with traffic and speed limits, even acceleration differences are of limited use. There are a lot of other reasons to prefer modern cars.
    The last car I drove for any distance near top speed was around the late 1940's - early 1950's when there were open roads with no speed limit, and 100 mph was really fast. (imagine doing that on cotton cord bias ply tires)

BTW Matt - what thread did I resurrect?

Cheers
    Warren