Why Chrysler is utterly doomed | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why Chrysler is utterly doomed

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Oct 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth

I think it was silver or grey. Watch for him to show up in a Challenger next year. hehe

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    From CBS radio and NY Times today: Chrysler is dropping the Pacifica, PT Cruiser convertible, Crossfire and Dodge Magnum (the 'phat' station wagon?) Rust in peace.

However we will see a hybrid version of the Dodge Durango. That should turn the company around :)rolleyes:) as customers get to buy something nondescript that looks like a gas guzzler yet has a complicated drivetrain that doesn't have the torque of a real towing vehicle.

They also announced the elimination of 11,000 jobs on top of the 13,000 already cut in Delaware. Gettelfinger now looks like more of an idiot than usual as he dupes the Chrysler workforce into thinking everything's going to be OK.

3. Fnix

Fnix Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Thats pretty much every vehicle they made. And the PT Cruiser is/was a big money maker for them.

4. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Nardelli has a Marine work ethic. He doesn't like red tape. So, I predict that he will reshape the way Chrysler brings new models to market. Cerebus must have picked him to install order.

5. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They just pulled the plug on those MB-derived models today.

Let's hope so, although I think Chrysler also needs some inspired thinking when it comes to cars.

6. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Doesn't the R&D come via F1?

Dola, Ghosn has done a good job with turning around Nissan. Hopefully Chrysler can do it too.

7. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I never understood what the problem with Nardelli at Home Depot. Didn't he increase a lot of measuring sticks? One thing about Nardelli is that he is better suited for a manufacturing-type situation than retail. His compensation package was ludicrous.

As for Mullaly, wasn't his bonus based on what he would have received from Boeing if he had stay in his position?

8. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    MahGawd - I thought they had dropped the Pacifica and Crossfire several years ago!

I sometimes wonder how many more months the Viper has to go.

9. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I think they'll keep the Viper around. In their situation, a halo car can only help. Now if their product planners can stay away from further answering questions nobody was asking in the first place. LOL!

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    From MSNBC: By 2009, 1 in 3 Chrysler employees will be fired. Sales are down over 12%...

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Thats just the problem GM keeps going around the issue thinking that Corvette powered cars are the way to go, don't get me wrong I like the camaro but its not a firebird! what about the T/A lovers? i don't see anything linedup for us. The G8 is ok but shouldn't be pontiacs flagship, I would love to see them bring back the T/A and the fiero based on the opel speedster. The Vette always promisses great performance but I still doubt it cause it always lacks sex appeal it looks so plain parked next to a modren day supercar even a new C6 Z06 looks plain parked next to a countach or a Viper GTS.

What about Buick? they are slowly dieing away, if GM brings back the Grand National 3.8 turbocharged I promisse their sales would go up.

They are going the right way but they keep blowing the chance to smash toyota with these little halfed a$$ cars, Bring something back that will help the camaro, get the chevelle, Nova! something!.

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    God forbid the Viper goes basicly the company goes thats equvilant to GM droping the Corvette or ford droping Mustang, even if it doesn't sell much it would be very stupid if they tryed that. Almost like that Pats losing Tom Brady, you don't want to lose your franishe QB thats going to keep you competitive.

Those designs should have been droped along time ago, Iam still wondering why they still have the dodge caliber in production, that needs to go!.

13. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't think a really really really really fast Buick is going to make a dent in the market. American cars are not underpowered. They just have no remaining cachet and lack the style of their European and - now - some of their Asian competition.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They're still cleaning up from the launch party. Give it a couple of months.

15. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    1+

They do need to work on the styling especially with the Corvettes. I think they are one step away from perfection all they need is to work on the quailty and sex appeal and that car would be perfect. They really need something thats going to grab the attention of potentual buyers.

16. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Would they bring back the neon? :D hopefully that Dodge Demon is in the sights to compete with the Solisctisc and Sky, MX5.

17. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    You guys act like the general consumer is out there buying enthusiast vehicles. Most people buy the bland stuff. People who *really* are into cars and performance is a relatively small group.

18. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Bland-but-respectable is usually a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. Given $20K to spend on a car, the Civic is a great package for a young professional. I had 3 of them.

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pantera, you're targeting niche vehicles (Nova, TA, GN, etc). Niche vehicles are nice, but they don't keep a company profitable. Cars like the G8 and Impala are the potential breadwinners for GM, and need to be hits. I believe that GM has done a great job with these two models, which may eventually create enough excess cash to spin out some of the fun stuff that you mentioned.

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    As i read these posts i see the theme that (you) Americans continue to talk about...performance, and styling.

THe reason why the big 3 have issues is not the styling....its not the performance....its the RELIABLITY. The cars they make are just junk....i cant put my finger on it.... i took a Caddy CTS out..400Hp and 65K CDN the car goes like stink...but it feels cheap...the car feels like it will fall apart at about 50,000kms. I dotn know if its the shorter screws they use to keep these things together or what...but that is the down fall of the big 3...pure and simple.

My Lexus GS 400 has 155,000kms on it, and drives just like it did in 99...yes, the paint has a million stone chips...and i have milk stains in the back seats from my kids that ownt go away....but aside from doing a belt service at 125,000 and brakes, and tires...the car has cost me "ZERO"...i change the oil every 5,000kms, the rad and tranny get flushed every 75,000kms. It has never left me, and all my internal toys work, radio, window lifts, heated seats...the materials in the car do not look like 155,000Kms car.

Once the big 3 can wake up and build there cars to last and wait 10-15 yrs to get the word out on the street again, then maybe, just maybe they will get me and other buyers back....until then...i could care less how much of an incentive they give to buy the car, or design change, or Hp they add.....it still will break down hard at 50,000kms...and pretty much die off at 100,000kms.

Too bad they wont listen to a real consumer.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When they get a bit older they will go away, run off and get married. Just be patient. :)

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    yeah, im not looking forward to that day...i love it right where they are ;)

23. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    +1

GM, Chrysler and Ford need to focus on building a "Toyota Camry" of America, (ie a breadwinner which is consistently at the top ratings in quality, performance and reliability, and a top seller).

Ford is bringing back the Taurus, (a good choice).

Chrylser has the 300 C, but it looks like it is running out of steam and a redesign is required ASAP.

GM has Cadillac, Buick....too many middle of the road models and nothing which stands forward.

24. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I still disagree with the liability factor of american cars. At least Chevrolet's. My parents have owned several vehicles from the Big 3. They kept coming back to GM because they experienced the least problems with them.

Every Chevy they've owned they've sold with 150,000+ miles. Our current '99 Tahoe has 180K+. Still running strong. Last we heard our 1987 Chevy Astro van had over 300K. The only issue was the a/c went out. That would be the second time. Only went out once with ours.

Now their 2001 Tahoe has had a few issues, but I think it's because for the first few years it wasn't driven a lot. It would sit for weeks at a time. It seems to do a lot better now that it's driven everyday.

It's still a hit or miss imo. You could get a Toyota/Honda that's bad. Same with any other brand. And I'm not saying anyone here, but I've met people who talk mad ****, yet they have no personal experience with the brand.

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Impala yes, G8 no that could be cancer for pontiac.

They need something thats going to attract younger buyers because GM keeps making "Retirement" like vehicles and with those other cars that I mentioned if they where to hit the showroom floor atleast they would be back to being competitive.

Profitable is the key but they need something thats going to attract buyers from each sibliing as well as something for the younger crowd.