Why Chrysler is utterly doomed | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why Chrysler is utterly doomed

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Oct 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Add Mercedes to the list. My '98 SLK (sold) had door panels that came unglued and red plastic on the center console and door pulls that flaked off. Not sure if they still use that material in the 2005- SLK.

Maybe it was M-B during the Chrysler years, cutting costs, etc.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    BMW switched to a new layered coating sometime in the early 2000s. This is what you see.

Case in point my 99 3 series doesn't have any with 190,000 miles.

3. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Yes, the Malibu might be very high in the quality category, but its damn ugly. Why can't us Americans design something as nice as the Japanese? (Sporty, luxurious, refined) ??

4. Fnix

Fnix Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    It has to do with the Plastic in all the vehicles now days. Open the hood of a new truck and the whole engine including the engine block seems to be made of plastic that melts.

My 1987 dodge is all cast iron and the only thing that is plastic in the engine is the fluid containers and some hosing. And the only things I've had problems with are things that were plastic.

5. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    What has the Japanese built thats so awsome over the last couple of years?

I try to like their designs only to find myself bored and going back to the american market.

6. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Japanese build a fine car, Lexus is the best. However, I don't like the way any of them look. The S2000 is not awful, but I doubt many lust over one. The last good looking Japanese product was the old 300ZX.

7. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I know my wife's Miata has an interior that I am sure is made out of old computer housings. Cheap, hard plastifor the lower dash Tupperware for the center dash and console, and the same cheap, cardboard covered by vinyl door panels that could have come from a 1950's VW. Oh, but with "leather" seats... nice hard saddle leather!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

8. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Come on man....I'm American/Canadian and am proud of our products, but you have to admit that the Japanese build some DAMN fine vehicles.........such as the Inifiniti G37 Coupe? Nissan 350 Z ? Subaru Impreza WRX STI ? Lexus LS 450 ?

All very affordable and very high in performance, with quality and looks to match.

9. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    OK. Here we go. First vehicle: '03 Toyota Highlander, 87K miles. Replaced AC relay ($60). No other problems. No brake replacement. Normal maintenance. '03 MB E320. 49.5K miles. Transmission leak. Total radio failure. Three recalls, mostly brakes. careful maintenance. Total rear brake failure including rotors at 49.5K miles while front brakes are fine. Never saw this on any other car we have ever owned. 90% highway miles. Result. Wife gets two choices. Avalon or Lexus. MB? NO! BMW? Over my dead body. Do as you like.

10. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Those cars are very nice but don't impress me one bit, they cost alot and to me they just don't deliever enough. I would rather won a base C5, Fbody, Mustang, GTO, Kapa platform than any of those cars.

What happed to the days of the sportscars, RX-7, Supra, 300ZX, 3000GT, older escplise and talons where those cars looked very sporty and where damn quick for those days now they offer to much of dads sedan now adays. The new Lancer is so far the only thing that has left me impressed with the paddle shifter, the WRX is now ruined with its new look and now it looks more like a mini tribeca than a WRX. 350 Has been a wild cat from day one with me its like it like but when I see a 300ZX I hate it because its not the 300ZX. Lexus hasn't done anything for me since the SC300 and SC430 models but don't get me wrong the LS450 is nice and all but I can't imagine paying the doh for one. Quality they have non doubt I will agree 100% on that theres nothing more that depresses me and thats sitting in a new GM car with plastic wraped around me. Performance could be better with those car for the price, the 350Z could use alittle more kick, WRX and Lancers have always had decent performance but I think they should take it to the next level and challenge the Camaro,charger and new challeneger. G35's are the watered down Skyline of the states and I love Skylines but those cars are very pricey I have yet to find even a used one for less than 25k! here.

And who can forget about the Sicons :D those boxes are cool and I will own one soon.

I just think some of those cars are lacking a small ingredents before becoming great.

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    10+

Those days had my attention I can remember sitting at the local toyota dealership as a child behind the wheel of a MK4 Supra for hours at a time and the 300ZX was a great looking car as well as a performer same goes for the RX-7 and 3000GT, Talon even though that was american. i hate how now Japanese cars aren't as sporty looking as before now in my gen we get sedans and its like WTF???!.

Japan needs to look at its successfully sellers from the late 80's into the early 90's like the 300ZX and Supras. Something diffrent, competitive and yet quick and attractive. That new Skyline has something going I just wish they wouldn't have approached from a performance standpoint because you know once it falls into the hands of a tuner it doesn't matter what it runs at the N-ring those things will be like the new Supra making a 1000hp with mods. they should have left it a subpar 40k and you know everybody is going to tune theirs.

12. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Those were some nice cars back in the 90's......(300 ZX, SC430, etc...)I used to have an Acura Legend LS Coupe, 2 dr with 6 spd tran. Awesome car! Sad to sell it a few years back.

It seems the 'coupe' styles have made a comeback in recent years.

13. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    The Eagle Talons is EXACTLY the same car as a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

14. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Yes, they both rust and fall apart at EXACTLY the same time!

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Speaking of Lexus, what's up with that new 8-speed auto tranny? What in God's name is an 8-speed needed in a Lexus?

16. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mainly to make commercials telling people that MB and BMW don't have one.

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    They should try mentioning in the commercials that the body panels were also ripped from other cars, as well as the interiors.

18. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Heck, Mike. Who cares about commercials. What I care about is rear brakes and rotors that fail at 49,000 miles while the front set is fine. That, with 95% highway driving! At least they washed the car.

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, your experience with the E-class certainly leaves much to be desired. It must have been quite comforting to know that your car would be clean if the brakes failed again on your way home. I wouldn't have let Summer keep her CLK if it did something like that either.

20. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    Oh wow.. I'm sorry to hear that.. I have an 07 SLK... no problems with the doors so far... I do have a light scratch on the passenger door, probably from someone who parked too close, and hit my door with his/hers.

~shahedc

21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I know that.. Just like the 3000GT and the stealth where the same thing.

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Yeah thats great just make them the way they once where and I would be in some japanese showroom floors checking out what they got. So far I do like the newer lancers ;) but hate the new WRX. :(

23. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
  24. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Good article.

First I would like to say that Chrysler is in a very tough position right now, they will be flamed whether they go with 'plan A' or 'plan B' regardless.

The automotive sector, and manufacturing sector in N.A. are shrinking rapidly, and our corporations must shrink in order to adapt. Gone are the days of big, bloated wasteful factories which spew as much air pollution out of the factory as they do scrap on wheels.

They need to get tight, organized and slash their brands and models, and slowly re-build the brands but on a smaller scale. There is simply no room left for for the big 3, its become almost a 'beat them or join' them scenario, and after years of failing to beat the Japanese, they must join them in adopting their designs and manufacturing techniques.

25. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I believe Viper will live on regardless.

Ford has gone through some tough times and they still got Mustang, Chevy has also gone through some tough times and they still have the Corvette so I can't see why dodge would cut the Viper from its roster. They need it and if not I promise they will go under.