Why do people raise their engine hoods - looks/heat/both? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why do people raise their engine hoods - looks/heat/both?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TimF40, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I have heard from an owner that his rear bumper was melted off, and yes, it was a US specification car and not a grey market coversion. He had to have heat shields made for the Countach.

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I always pop mine when I pull into the garage primarily as a reminder to plug in the battery tender after it cool down a bit.
    Plus I just love the way it raises itself when its hot. :)

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Tim, I would say almost all the guys in the club open them to let the heat out after a spirited drive. I also open it after I pull into the garage.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

*****Bert,I had to ask....did you start with repairing that small paint peel,and end up going completely into a 288? (HeeHeeHee!!!:) )

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I raise the hood on my 250GTO so I can see the engine, never had a temperature problem, which is lucky as there is a lot of plastic that could melt. Not all my other models have opening bonnets ... :(

Pete

6. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Ha! I thought it was primarily for people to go ooohing and ahhhhing over how cool the engine looks. :) Guess I've been wrong all along.

7. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It is also a great idea to cool your car down by driving at moderate speeds just prior to re-stabling. This will allow heat to equalize in components and reduce overall temp. Everytime I take her out for a hard drive I drive her resonably for at least 10 minutes to cool'er down. Like the old saying "rode hard and put away wet" not a good idea.

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Exactly how it happened! Funny thing is, after 20 months I still haven't reached that spot because I didn't remove the hood yet :)