Why do wheel spinners tighten clockwise on the left? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why do wheel spinners tighten clockwise on the left?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by abstamaria, Jan 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Incorrect. Try the demo with the drill and nut. Acceleration and deceleration will most certainly spin the nut on or off.

Keith Darby likes this.
  2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Your explanation matches the technical explanations I read, including the formula in the link above, Andyww. Colin Chapman used a roll of tape and a cap to demonstrate.

Best,

Andy

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #53 andyww, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    The amount of inertia caused by the weight of the nut under acceleration and braking will have such a little effect it is negligible and does not apply here at all.

Just for fun I will explain it again as my original explanation above is not 100% accurate having read it again:

The weight of the car is bearing down on the wheel via the bottom of the nut (in the case of the Elan) on the taper. This means the nut is not absolutely concentric with the wheel. Its a tiny amount off owing to the vertical load.
    Owing to the taper, the fact they are not 100% concentric means the diameter of the wheel taper is slightly larger than the diameter of the nut taper at the point of contact.
    At the bottom of the nut, friction is high owing to the load, so the surface of the nut will move exactly with the surface of the wheel hole in a tangential direction.

So, we have one smaller ring attempting to drive a larger ring at its circumference. They move at the same linear speed at the circumference but because the larger ring has a larger circumference this will result in it trying to rotate at a slower rotational speed hence will try to unwind if threaded wrongly.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Try the demo. One way the nut will tighten. The other way the nut will come off. Just like our buddy the spinner. Have you ever spun a rim on a tire?

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    It will indeed, but thats not the cause of the spinner issue we are discussing. When you fit the spinner you wack it with a hammer to tighten it. The amount of force needed to loosen it is high. To replicate this in your demo, you would need to tighten the nut on the shaft. Now it doesnt move when you rotate the shaft. The amount of inertia is nowhere near enough.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    This thread is going down the airplane physics road.

I do know from personal experience that KO spinners tightly installed, (granted sans saftey pin that should have been there) on the incorrect sides of a mid 60's corvette will loosen and fall off... took me the better part of the day to find the spinner in the ditch :)

7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #57 finnerty, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Yes, it is, and for the same reason....... No one tends to listen to the opinions of the actual Physicists / Engineers.

Looking up "information" on the internet without having the required background of understanding behind the basic subject material is a loss leader.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Since we now agree that a loose spinner will fall off when the hub spins in the same direction then that's a good enough reason to tighten in the opposite direction. I don't think they are all that tight to begin with. If the rim is not perfectly flush to the hub during tightening then it doesn't matter how tight you get it. It will be loose when you pull out and that's where the demo comes in. I don't think it needs to be any harder than that.

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    What l did before asking the question here was to read as much as I could, as I didn't want to do the lazy thing and just ask. Much of the information is on the web (the only book I have that dealt with it is ''Lotus Engineering.), and that' is not a bad thing. It turned out that the intuitive answer l first had - similar to some expressed here - was probably inccorrect. If both Rudge-Whitworth and Colin Chapman are right, then loose splihes, nuts unscrewing on a drill are incorrect, since they will apply to only one.

Unfortunately, it is physics at work. Not necessarily airplane physics, as the theory has been in use in bicycles. It was probably helpful that Rudge-Whitworth was a bicycle manufacturer before they developed the KO wheel In 1907.

Since posting this, I had discussions with friends who are engineers from both sides of the pond. Some didn't have a cIue and speculated, but two (one from MlT and another from Leeds) knew immediately - mechanical precession.

It is not an easy concept and counter-intuitive. l think it is clearer to me now, and understand why Borranis, D-Type, Elan, Austin-Healey wheel KOs and bicycle pedals tighten the way they do. l still don't know why F40, Formula One, and some Porsche center nuts tighten the way they do, but then they need locks to keep their wheels on.

10. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Its not complex physics, just basic mechanics. Same as in a gearbox, a smaller wheel (spinner) driving a larger wheel (inside of the wheel hole) on its circumference, (as gears in a gearbox) the larger wheel will turn more slowly. In this case the driving wheel is inside the driven wheel but the principle is the same.

The only aspect which is difficult in this situation is the acceptance that the spinner and wheel tapers, at the point of contact, are different diameters. The diameters are only a few thou different, owing to the weight of the car applied vertically on the wheel but thats enough to give a cumulative effect.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks for the explanation, Andyww.

Best,

Andy

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Speaking as someone who has had a Ferrari wheel fall off while driving (although mine was a standard bolt-on wheel), I highly recommend properly knocking on your knock offs! ;D :D

13. Brian49D

Brian49D Rookie

Oct 27, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Andy,

It's an old post but I want to point out that using Precession process to explain the spinner thread should work, just like it works for the bicycle pedals.

Consider the right side wheel with male taper spinner, with the wheel turning CW, the radial force (contact point between hub and spinner) turning CCW as wheel moving forward. Precession process says the inside tapered spinner tends to turn CW relative to the hub, hence RH spinner is used here and LH spinners for left wheels.

Now for female taper spinner on same right wheel. Radial force turning CCW as above with wheel moving forward. Precession says inside male taper hub tends to turn CW relative to the spinner, or spinner wants to turn CCW relative to the hub. So it needs LH spinner for right side wheels.

Brian

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Not to change subject. What were the Dunlop wheels on the D type made of? Aluminum? were they stamped and riveted or Forgings?

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Andy,
    I didn’t read this entire thread in detail but I have a Dino with knock offs and a friend with an early lotus referred me to this article when I was trying make sure I assembled the hubs on the correct side, Forgive me if already posted.
    I confirmed they self tighten when i forgot once ...

And, from an archived entry in the Lotus Elan forum: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-archive-f16/knock-off-direction-t9539.html

---------
    Rudge-type knock-ons use spline-drive and Lotus-type knock-ons used
    pin-drive... but that's incidental to the knock-on direction issue. Use
    "spline-drive" and "pin-drive" as identifiers, but don't confuse the
    drive methods as having anything to do with the knock-on direction. Rudge
    could just as well have used pin drive, and the knock-on direction would
    have still been the same.

The key issue is how the knock-on nut meets the wheel... regardless of the
    drive method. Whether the nut's mating face has a male taper and fits into
    the wheel or has a female taper and fits over the wheel. Pins and splines
    have nothing to do with it. It's whether the rotating motion is imparted
    internally or externally.

Chapman demonstrated the principle to his designers by placing two
    concentric rings on the table. He grabbed the inner ring and moved it in a
    circle (oscillating/ orbiting rather than spinning/ rotating) large enough
    to carry the outer ring with it. The outer ring turned/ rotated in the
    same direction. Then he grasp the outer ring and repeated the movement.
    The inner ring turned/ rotated in the opposite direction.

Another way to demonstrate Chapman's second trial (grasping the outer ring)
    is to put a washer or large coin in the bottom of a shallow can and swirl it
    around. The washer will orbit with the can... in the direction the can is
    swirled... but as it rolls around the inside of the can it's rolling
    "rotation" will be in the opposite direction. Swirl clockwise and the
    washer will orbit/swirl clockwise but roll/rotate counter-clockwise.

The coin-in-a-can demo happens at higher speed and is harder to follow than
    Chapman's rings-on-the-table demo. If you can't see it, paint a hash mark
    on the washer so your eye can pick up it's rotation more easily. Or just
    use Chapman's demo in the first place. It's better. He used it because
    it was easier for non-believers to see... and it illustrated both effects,
    driven by either the inner or outer ring.

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I believe the rim was extruded aluminum and the center also aluminum, probably cast (some sources say “pressed”).

18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Love threads like this that address basic questions and are met with such a clear response. Thank you, both to the original question poser and to Andy WW for his response. Some people really can look at an age old problem and find a new way to solve it. Chapman was a maestro with this.

At the risk of going down an unrelated path, a friend of mine had a "similar" quest: looking for a fastening ("nut and bolt") system that maintains its torque when subjected to vibration and heat. Thread locker, lock washers, nylocs all fail. The clever (to me anyway) solution is a traditionally threaded nut coupled with a special washer system that expands when subjected to reverse (unwinding) torque. If I can find a link I'll post it.

19. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Nordlock washer? They are clever. I used these on my Lotus Esprit exhaust manifold as the studs kept unscrewing. A nut which locked onto the stud was no use but these lock the nut/stud onto the flange of the manifold.

20. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yes, that's it. For those that don't know the method, here's a link:

21. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    As a memory aide think of a stripper: " Down in front take it off !" In other words strike the knock off down towards the front of the car to remove. If they were not installed this way they WILL come off on their own. I once owned a Jaguar XKE and rebuilt the front suspension. I inadvertently installed the hubs on the wrong sides. Within 200 miles the right front wheel came off. Not a good day !

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Because the British just like to invent words like "Undo". :)

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Meh..it is what it is. Just tighten the wheel as instructed and you won't have issues. If i over thought every engineering decision i deal with i would be in the looney bin.

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Great video, pma 1010. Scary too.

Andy