Why do you have a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why do you have a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by audihenry, Apr 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have yeet to own one as well but have had the privlage of drivng a few of them.

Once you drive one, it all makes sence. You are oart of the car, you smile everywhere you go and it is hard to keep up with all the thumbs up and smiles you get. It is an awesome experiance that cannot be put into words. The sound, the handling, the style, simply unbelievable cars.

Disclaimer: Ferrari's will be come an addiction and take over part of your life. But is is an addiction I would never want to give up! Ferrari, go big or go home

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Because if there's one thing better than 400 supercharged horsepower, it's 400 normally aspirated horsepower.

3. Mobil1NSX

Mobil1NSX Rookie

Sep 2, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon York
    Funny, Just like "Spiderseeker" and "nitrousferrari", It was MAGNUM PI and Cannonball RUN that made the impression on me in 70's/80's.

I still TIVO the old magnums

I always loved sportscars and have had a bunch through the years but the Ferrari's seem to be the only ones that occupy longterm space in my home garage except for an old RUF slant nose turbo P car.

After growing up drooling over Ferrari's, watching Magnum and the Cannonball Run, it's kinda ironic that:

1. I Ended up with a 308QV, 328 and a Euro 308 (my dad left the Euro to me last year)

2. Came in 1st place in the real Cannonball Run (Car & Driver One Lap of America) in the SSGT1 class last year (2005)

I guess TV does have an impact on us when we are young :cool:

Now I'm old :cool:

Jon

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I own it so people can ask me why I own a Lamborghini while looking down at the script that says Ferrari

5. chrismarsh

chrismarsh Rookie

Aug 16, 2005
    detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris marsh
    When I was a kid in the 60's... big motorsports fan. When I was about ten my father used to say how can you sit there and watch those cars go round and round.

Started motorcycle racing in my late twenties, wanted to race cars but bikes are so much less expensive.

Now I'm to old to race (bikes) I was looking for a hobby I saw a 1970 MG for sale and I said to myself "that could be a good hobby I've always fancied 50's and 60's sports cars". I hopped on the internet and started my search for any sports car. I came accross a 1992 Testarossa where the asking price was $16K. now I said to myself "I tought Ferraris were much more expensive". Turned out to be a scam. But from that day on I knew I wanted a Ferrari. I've dreamed of one all my live but never considered I could afford one. But when I realized older ones have already depreciated all it costs is the parts and maintenance.

Working on my Ferrari has become my passion.

6. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    You forgot to mention that it also serves as an ideal accessory when photographing the Mrs. ;)

7. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    After driving one, how could you not own one?

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    So the 308 was actually in one piece some time in the past? ;)

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I was 15 I saw the movie "Grand Prix", and there was something about the Ferrari team that engendered a sense of passion not present elsewhere. Maybe it was summarized by what J.P. Sarti tells Louise in the Monza paddock the day before he is killed in the race. ("Manetta" is the name given in the movie to the character who was, in essence, Enzo Ferrari himself):

"You have to grasp the mind of Sr. Manetta, my darling. If a driver can be reached by those tactics, it means he probably will fear for his place on the team. That is exactly what Manetta wants, because that driver will try all the harder to win. He will perhaps take a risk which he would ordinarily avoid. And risks are always risks."

Maybe it was that, or the red color of the cars, or the unmatched sound of the V-12 engines, but I became a Ferrari fan instantaneously. Of course, that was the racing team; I knew nothing about the road cars at the time. But a year later, I subscribed to "Road & Track" to get their racing coverage, and naturally began to learn about the road cars.

But honestly, I never really wanted to own a Ferrari until the March 1976 issue of "R&T" arrived, with a road test of the beautiful 308 GTB. From that point onward I said to myself "someday I'll own a Ferrari". And while I was considering new cars when I said that, they've always been out of reach, pricewise.

Fortunately the 308 and 328 became fairly plentiful on the pre-owned market in the last few years, at relatively affordable prices, and I finally made good on my promise and bought a 328 GTS two years ago. While the car has at times brought much pain (to my bank account!) it has also brought much pleasure, and I hope to be able to drive it for many years to come.

10. solid car

solid car Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I still ask myself the same question over and over again. I could never enjoy it with my wife or son, he is only 2 years old and of coarse my wife will never depart with our son for more than an hour or so. So infact I do ask my self why did I buy this car if I couldn't even ejoy it with my family.
    I take it out very seldom but when I do take it or get a chance to everything seems to fall in place. The smell, sound, the acceleration, and the amazing looks, theres nothing like it in the world, so for those few times I do take it out, wow..........you become part of racing history like no other car in this world, and by the way it dosn't matter which horse you drive, they all have the same racing feeling to them that I can't describe into words.........

11. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Oh...and one more reason for me - because I can't afford a Countach! ;)

12. psmaia

psmaia Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    greenwich, conn.
    Full Name:
    Paul Marchese
    me?..i have always owned and raced porsches...thought there was nothing else on the road or track...then i drove my friends 328...the rest is history...

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I drive what I service..Thats how I ended up with one...good deal, would have been silly to pass it up..made 15k when I sold it it, waiting for another business oppertunity...

14. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Because work didn't let me keep a Thoroughbred anymore and outgrew the Mustangs.

Ferrari was the 2nd ultimate Fantasy when I was growing up (vs supermodels, but that's a different story), and found out the reality was even better for Ferrari's.

Have to agree with all the other comments too - the image of mysterious, non-mainstream is all good.

15. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Are you familiar with Plato and his pholosophy? He suggested that there is an ideal for any object. The ideal isn't a specific object (eg. a cup) the ideal is the concept or idea of the cup or "cupness". This idea or concept is really the purity and beauty underlying. I'm not sure that Ferrari cars are the ideal sports car but in MHO they are the closest to the ideal of beauty and performance. These cars are the gold standard in this area. They are put together for performance and the styling (at least of the old f-cars) is the art of artists...not committees or wind tunnel engineers. There are very few auto manufacturers who did what Enzo did; make the most beautifil and best performance sports car you possibly can. This, in essence, is the purity of pursuing the Platonic "ideal". No car comes closer. This uncompromising pursuit of excellence is always in demand and is why, in large part, I bought one.

Oh yeah, also they're really cool.

16. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I am trying to impress Jodi Foster.;)

17. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    Wow, I'm trying to impress Jodie Foster also!

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    As a Kid in the early 70's my dad used to take me to Watkins Glenn every year for the F-1 race... I was born in 67... and was at the 68 USGP... every year till 1980... My dad had a Lotus Europa and A Porsche 356 B... I just remember that they were so different, sound smell etc.. it was special each time he took me out in one of them... then at Watkins Glenn my dad was asked if a Dino parked on the street with the keys in it was his? he said no, but said it like No but gee I wish I did I remember asking what kind of car was that and he said Ferrari... that must have been in 72... so I started to pay attention to F-1 more - cause my dad is a Life long F-1 Nut... and just fell in love with the Formula one team... just as Niki Lauda was coming up in the World Championship..every time you saw a Ferrari on the street it was a special event...so I wanted one from that point on ... there were always cars that were faster - Lotus handled better... Porsche more reliable etc... but for me its the mystique of Mr. Ferrari... so secretive in Maranello... the F-1 cars were at the top of their game ... it just caught wnat to belong to that factor... I bought an 85 qv about 12 years ago... and the car was a joy, and also caused lots of pain... financialy...but on those days when it was all clicking ... its what driving is all about... I just bought an 86 328... which I love and agin its the mystique, noise, smell, shape, name, everything about it screams drive me this is exciting, fun you are part of a very special club...

I could have bought a 355... but the service cost are prohibitive ... and more importantly ... Enzo was not alive when 355's were made... 308's and 328's were... even if he did not own or care about the road cars much... he was still there... when my car was screwed together... it probabbly does not make the car any more desirable, but to me its special.

Thats why I own one... Porsche is a great car... to a degree lacking soul... Lotus... is all about the name.. and they dont race anymore.. the spirit of Colin Chapman is gone..Ferrari is the only one that still has been there since the beginning...racing and making cars basically the same way!

Tom

19. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

20. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I saw her first!:mad::D

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What the man said. Except in my case, it is driving em.

Dale

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I like driving the marque, the history and the rarity of these cars. All the other stuff like great handling and speed is just a benny you get with ownership. I'm the caretaker of my third one in twelve years, a '92 348ts after an '85 308 QV and a '77 carbed beauty.

23. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    For me, a Ferrari is the most sensual of all automotive offerings. Maybe it’s something visceral, or relating to my heritage, but it’s only a matter of time before the seduction is complete.

24. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Very well put.

I've felt like that since the 80's, which is why I've always appreciated (and often owned) off-beat cars.

25. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Thanks for the replies, all! :)