Why does everyone want to change their wheels? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why does everyone want to change their wheels?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    To me, running an open spoke design requires a set of brakes to go with the diameter of the wheel. The stock 308 brakes are puny looking behind 360 style wheels.

Throw on some big Brembos and you are good to go.
    I think Paul's lowered, silver 308 with 360 wheels looks just fine. Nice stance. Too much space above the tire and it looks like hell.

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Finding tires for 14" wheels is tough. I think your only choice may be Sumitomos currently (although they are cheap at about $40/tire).

I just bought a set of 328 rims from Ferrari UK for my car. Maybe they won't look completely original, but they are ferrari wheels, and so don't look completely out of place on my car IMHO.

Dom

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Looks and performance. Wheels can really make the car. Having said that, I will say that 90% of the time, OEM looks best to me.
    In the case of my 82 Mondial, the old metric rubber is just about IMPOSSIBLE to get...there's a very good reason to switch. Still, I'm holding off 'cause the original wheels look right on the car.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I still want a deal on a set of 5-Stars for my 308!

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

peter, are you serious. You still have those cool wire wheels!

Vincent.

6. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
  7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    In terms of performance, it would be best to go straight to speedline for a good set for the 360

8. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, good idea. Thanks.

9. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Why do some people prefer houses with wood shingles on the walls, and others with brick. Why do some choose to live by the ocean, while others choose urban or mountain locations. Variety is an important part of the human experience and imo a good one. Personally, I think you miss something when you feel the need to judge someone elses choice, be it cars, woman or whatever. You may not like it, or understand it, but it is still possible to respect their need to express themselves differently, especially if it is not harmful to anyone else. What about color choices? I am sure we all have seen fcars (even!!!) that we don't like the colors of. But obstensibly, the driver of the car thinks that combo is the cats ass.
    I find this to be a pretty gentle board in general, but there is certainly room for people to change their car without being criticized by those thinking Ferraris should not be changed. They are just machines and do not qualify for exemption from owners change, nor should they. And just because another owner does not like the change, that does not make it wrong or even a mistake. Enjoy your car and let others enjoy their's.

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Because I like it better with the newer wheels

BTW I have got a set of 360's 5 star OEM with Michelin available (for those who own 348 and 355) e-mail for details. Condition mint, tires 5% wear

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Spoken from my heart. With a few caveats:

I think given the vintage/classic/new car definition as an owner of a new car you should/could do with it whatever you want. And if I had a 360 I certainly would take it to a tuning company.

As an owner of a classic Ferrari I think you still should be able to change it as you like, but try to make those change reversible and keep the original parts (I realize I crossed that line, but that's another story).

Classic Ferraris ought to be preserved in their originality or should be restored to that. Same IMHO goes for the Supercars (like Enzo, which is otherwise a new Ferrari) and for some more rare ones (like the BBi).

Obviously when following this logic any Ferrari eventually becomes a classic (if it lives that long). And that's where my argument is flawed as a Hamann Testarossa Spider is pretty much irreversible, yet I would still argue that is a cool mod. Hey, I'm no Sokrates.
    :)

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Shelbee, I am still looking for 2 more fronts off of a 360 to complete my collection. :)

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, have you performed any testing to justify that comment, ie. like a skid pan with G counter.

Lower profile tyres do NOT necessarily offer more grip, infact sometimes they will loose grip. Why is that you may ask?

Quite simply if the tyre is not on the ground it cannot grip, with low profile tyres unless your suspension has been designed to keep the tyre 90 degrees to the road through out its movement, then the contact patch will get smaller as the car rolls during corners. A higher profile tyre will accomodate this via flexing the side wall.

Also real roads are not dead flat and smooth, a higher profile tyre will follow the road better.

Low profile tyres and cornering performance are a huge misconception. Have a look at all racing series ... you do not see any low profile tyres, especially extreme low profile ones.

I remember racing years ago with Yokahama A008R's (we had to have road registered tyres in classic racing in NZ) and these tyres were 60 profiles (thus tall) but the sideways where very stiff ... infact the tyre guys had trouble getting them on to the rim. Fantastic track tyre ... but horrible noicy road tyre.

Also remember a lot of your suspension movement is actually the tyre flexing ... if it cannot flex then again is the wheel staying on the road?

Pete

14. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Tifosi, I agree there is sometimes a dilemna concerning classic cars. Your rule of thumb about keeping stock parts and being able to reclaim original character is good but I am sure there are those who say the car should be unmolested in any way, and I can see their point as well.
    Of course they can keep their car perfect and I might change mine and lose value, except or course, if the change happens to be one someone else really values. For instance, I had e type Jag years ago and the the car was very cool but the brakes were pretty poor. Last year I drove a beautiful series I model that had a modern brake upgrade and also some suspension mods and tuning done to it and it was way faster, handled better and stopped way better. Is it worth less? Not to me, nor to the owner who made these changes or any family member riding with him in his safer, better handling car.

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Pete, you forget that he has increased the size of the patch as well consideriably both front and rear from what if was on the original car. (I am guessing, but I think the original was a 205 and the new one is now a 225mm tire)

If my estimate is correct, then he as indeed increased the grip since the amount of rubber is much more then before.

That said your points are correct if you assume tire width is constant.

Another example is my BMW, I recently upgraded from the OEM 16s with 235mm wide tires all around, to 19s with 255 front and 275 rear. And yes the grip is INSANE when compared to the old setup. T

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good point, plus you have just reminded me of another point.

Remember the sidewall height is a percentage of the width, thus as you increase the width of a tyre you need to obtain lower aspect ratio (I think that is what the sidewall height is called) tyres to obtain the same rolling radius.

Thus a wider tyre with a lower aspect ratio MIGHT have the same sidewall height and thus flex as a narrower tyre with a higher aspect ratio.

Confused? ... hope not ;)

Pete

17. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I really like to burn a tire here and there and drive my tyres hard and I dont like 400 us dollars a copy for an out dated tyre which seems to be the only 14" v rated one on the planet. Help, tell me where I have a choice, except at 15 or 16 inch and sacrifice a little performance. I want a tire that is speed rated at something better than H ( 130 ) I mean I am not asking for an W, Y or Z rated I just want a little over engineering not rocket science. I have driven at 130 + for more than recommended times for H rated tires and really dont want to skimp on that particular area of my safety.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Fair point, and I'm sorry I do not know what tyres are available anymore ... out of that circle now.

I think you may have to move towards the 15" as you say and do the best you can. Funny thing is many cars use 14" tyres ... I guess not fast ones though.

What about a Hosier?, what sizes do they come in.

In conclusion I would have to agree with you, change rims for practicality (but I would go for the minimal as possible change) and keep the originals for when it matters (?, whenever that is ;) ... maybe for resale?).

It is a very difficult situation because if you do not get lower profile tyres your gearing will be changed (for the worst), car will sit up higher, etc. Thus what do you do, lower the car?, then it will scrape sometimes ...

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place :(

Pete