Why does the Maserati brand get so much respect? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Why does the Maserati brand get so much respect?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by asianbond, Mar 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Five. This is the fifth iteration of that model. We didn't get the IV here in the USA and thankfully, almost no one got any QPIIs although, one did recently fetch almost $100USD at an auction.

Bob S.

2. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    LOL. you have been drooling over a QP for the last 14 months and looks like your 'due dilligence' isn't very throughout.

3. Dolle Dolf

Dolle Dolf Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    It stands for "Vacillate for a year, and then buy a BMW" :p

4. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    BY THE WAY - The M5 will depreciate FAR MORE than the QP. It's built in much larger numbers, it is a MASS PRODUCT with the same cheap plastics inside which are the same you find in a 520i. Don't people learn from past experience??? A 4-year old M5 V8 is now worth 30,000US$ in Europe, a Maserati 3200Gt at least twice more... Think about it...

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I must admit I haven't been following this saga from the beginning but aren't guys harrassing him a bit too much or are you good friends just takin' shots at each other for fun?

Bob S.

6. RC33

RC33 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Garden City
    Full Name:
    RC33
    That's a new one, I always thought it meant "Bring More Worries"

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ....eh...yessss....and if you bought a 456 Ferrari and now a 612 Scaglietti, you burn the money to ashes for what you get an M5 or a 4200 GT/S!
    ....ehh...think about it....

Ciao!
    Walter

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, my 2000 e39 M5 stickered for $69,949.00 and even though it now has 110,000 miles I have been offered $27,000.00 by an interested buyer and am currently negotiating...that's not too bad IMHO... my BMW dealer has offered me $24,000,00 in trade. And, the M5 has a "full leather' option which covers everthing in leather including the dash...and the platics on my e39 M5 as well as the new e60 M5 are of much higher quaility that what I've seen in other cars,including Maseratis and Ferraris...in fact, on this very forum there is a plethera of poat about 348/355/550/575/456 pealing interior pieces...

9. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Depreciation is not a concern if you can afford the QP.

10. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    you must be kidding on BMW's interiors of 'much higher quality' than other cars. Among the germans, i think most will agree at the high end models the interior are : Audi A8 > BMW 7er > MB S-class

Among all the other luxury sedan manufacturers, I would rank the interior quality:
    Bentley Flying Spur > Maserati QP > Audi A8 > BMW 7er > MB S-class (new S class btw) > Lexus LS (old)

if you slip Maybach, RR and Aston Martin in they will be above Maserati as well.

from what i understand there are lots of plastics in the M5.
    non full leather car: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16227&d=1142117532
    nice color leather, but plastics and plastics and plastics. not undifferent from an X3.

now, take this Individual Piano black / champagne car, nicely done. but, is that leather now or plastic all the way across the middle of the dash?
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68956&highlight=full+leather

you must admire how well they make the leather looks like plastic across the entire width of the interior.
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16168&d=1142010433

and this caramel car as well. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=15373&d=1140610342
    nicely blended in leather to their plastic.

11. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    i have to agree, the interiors on the new bimmers are somewhat dissapointing, Audi is by far the leader on the German side.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree that the QP has a better "looking" interior...but, how will it wear. My 6 year old 110,000+ mile M5 leather still looks almost like new...no wear showing at the seat bolsters, no color wearing through, no dash leather pulling or shrinking...unlike the 6 Ferraris I have owned... Why do you think the leather in Italian cars seems to wear so much quicker than the leather in German cars ?

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You'll find most Maserati owners as Lambo wannabees and very concerned about price.

14. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    cos the leather in BMW looks like plastic to begin with;

15. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    most maserati owners do not want a 'loud' extroverted look-at-me car like lamborghinis.

and if they are concerned about price, i don't think they will pay the extra to get into a QP when they can get bargins for 500hp in a BMW or MB.

may be you can borderline call them a ferrari wannabe, but they are the smart ones who knows where to find the italian exotics at a good value.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I disagree about that claim, as far as M cars are concerned the 2 M5s and 1 M3 I have owned all had great looking and smelling leather...However, how about the other German cars?...I have owned a few Porsches and Mercedes and their leather seems to hold up for well over 100k miles too, so its not just BMWs...

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, the discounts off MSRP you can get on a new QP bring it down to less than $10k more than a fully optioned new M5...for example, the M5 I have on order stickers at $94,200 excluding sales tax...

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Or they are Canadien and can't afford it

19. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    lol. if you like to assume, let's try synchro who can't spell and can't afford a modern day ferrari or maserati.

20. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    how many cars you have owned now? you list keeps on growing and growing but you are still driving your E39 M5, and all of your few Porsches and Mercedes are well over 100k miles? lol.

21. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    FYI, let's compare apples with apples... a fully optioned QP with your fully optioned M5.

most 2006 QP well optioned are at $116-$119k. (some even at $124k such as in park place texas http://www.parkplacetexas.com/Inventory/nModelList.asp?DealershipID=14&ModelID=902&BD=14&MinModelYear=1980&MaxModelYear=2007&MinMileage=0&MaxMileage=200,000&MinPrice=0&MaxPrice=500,000&Ref=Make&MakeName=Maserati&MakeID=58&Count=6)

so you are telling me you can get a new, fully optioned 2006 QP with an MSRP of $119k down to $104k? i.e. $15k off the MSRP on a 2006?

get real parker.

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Well I picked up my new e60 M5 on Friday...Interlagos Blue with black full leather interior, HUD as well as every other available US option except rear window shades and heated rear seats. I love the car so far...all but the 11.5mpg I'm averaging on my commute to work! Out the door price was $95,380...I was really worried that I would not like the SMG after having logged 110k miles on my e39 M5 with a 6 speed stick shift. But, I find the SMG even more involving than the stick as it requires a lot more thought and finesse to get most out of the car...you really have to be in tune to what the engine and chassis are doing at all times. I can't wait until I get to the 1200 mile point so I can use the fastest SMG shift mode of S6!

23. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Finally got to sit in a QP. Wow the engine sounds like the 360. Really awesome sound, feels more like a sports car than luxury sedan.

Btw, there'splenty of space in the back seat. I'm close to 6' and it had plenty of elbow and leg room for me, best for two people though, center hump is quite small.

24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    FWIW, I just got back from Italy and through my Italian buddies was able to hang out in a high end autoshop in Salsomaggiore; the mechanics just finished a total restoration on an F40 ((105k euros!!!!) and were doing a major on another F40. They also had a pearl white Gallardo in the showroom along with a bunch of F-cars and M-cars-bottomline is that they like the Maseratis very much-after I told them about the depreciation hit here in the USA on the '02/03 Coupes they were shocked that such good a car could be had for so little. Then again an A-class MB 1500 over there costs 20K euros....