why doesn't ferrari remake all the million $ vintage | FerrariChat

why doesn't ferrari remake all the million $ vintage

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by boxer frank, Dec 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxer frank

boxer frank Karting

Sep 30, 2004
    toronto canada
    Full Name:
    FRANK
    why doesn't ferrari remake all the million $ vintage models for offroad use ??????
    -they can remake them with one arm tied behind their backs
    -they can have many cars presold 5mins after they announce production
    -and they would make 50 times more per car than current road models
    -sure it would upset the original models owners but 99.999% of ferraristi would love seeing and hearing them at tracks
    -aston martin actually did this with a few cars awhile ago

2. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Because that's not really the game they're in.

Whilst we may well love the old cars, they're pretty crude compared to the latest techno missiles that are synonymous with a forward thinking, technologically advanced company (which is probably why a number of us lover the old ones - but do not forget that the vast majority of people are not weird like us, and there aren't that many people in the million dollar car market).

Also, I think they would actually cost a huge amount to make. Old production methods would be needed which are massively labour intensive. The factory only has capacity for about 4.5k cars per year and they can sell all they pump out of the "easy to make" ones. Why bother?

I do not think expanding the factory to be able to produce more is the right way to go either - witness Lambo at the moment.

Lastly, they'd be buggering up the residuals market and cachet of the older cars in many ways.

Aston only did it because they had most of the bits left for 4 (I think) additional DB4 Zagatos. I think 2 of these went to very senior and key people at Aston at the time (1 being Victor Gauntlett). So it's not as if Aston started doing it formally.

What would be nice is if they made sure they had the tooling capability to ensure all the old models stayed on the road. Parts are already getting scarce for some models as I understand it.

I also wondered a few years back whether they might be sensible to do an "updated" version of some of their milestone cars (250GT SWB, 250LM etc). But since seeing the Ford GT and a number of others, it's probably best they continue evolving the breed with genetic cues flowing through rather than cop out and pastiche it. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of cars from the 360 onwards, but they do grow on you...

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Just thinking aloud on a similar topic - one would have to throw a pretty big bumper on a 2005 model 250 TDF to make it street legal - or I guess they could just fashion the nose out of rubber.

Of course for offroad use, it's not a factor.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I may be a flat-earth reactionary, but IMO the last good looking production Ferrari was the 246 Dino.

Redoing the old models would simply not work, especially in the Federalized American market. I mean, a 250 SWB with a steering wheel that looks like a Toyota's?

Certainly an auto maker with the resources of Ferrari could come up with a successful design for an all new front-V12 retrostyle model -- or, maybe the touch is just gone forever.

The new Mustang is a successful retrodesign that isn't cute or kitschy. The new Ford GT is astounding.

5. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    It's an interesting thought, isn't it?

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it's the automotive world. gotta keep moving forward. no way 'round it. history is history. nostalgia is nostalgia. enjoy it, but it is the past.

production methods, materials, national regulatory agencies, existing owners, and a slew of other factors would beat back such efforts to being nearly uninteresting.

i agree that the new mustang is a tour de force in creating modern design with stellar nods to the past. the ford gt is maybe a bit less so since they didn't nod, but rather copied as much as the aforementioned list of problems would allow them - damn fine car regardless though!

it'll be interesting to see whether jag can not screw up yet another nod to the 60s with its upcoming xk model. the spy shots in the latest autoweek didn't get my tootsie-a-rollin' if you know what i mean.

the factory would be crazy to try to reproduce GTOs (250s or 288s) or PF Cabriolets or even Dinos or BBis.

one boy's opinion.

doody.

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    When asked Enzo always maintained his Favourite car was the next one he was going to make, looking to the future not the past IS Ferraris heritage.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's what AC does in England, still doggedly turning out Cobra roadsters as they did not invest in the future, and remain a sad footnote.

It's just not Ferrari. I'm sure Luca still hears Il Commendatore's own famous words:
    "I don't give a $%^&* about the past, tell me about tomorrow"
    It's stood Ferrari in good for over 50 years.

9. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    That's mainly FIAT heritage these days, I'm sorry.

10. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They wouldn't have to stop "looking forward" as a company philosophy. All I'm suggesting is throwing a stongly retrostyled model into the lineup to appeal to the Vintage lover who wants the advantages and amenities of a new car and has the $$. This would make good business sense, as it would sell well if done right.

Take the 550 Maranello as a basis, lean it down and rebody it, put in a retrostyle interior, gated shifter, no paddleshift option, Borrani wires with knockoffs, and an exhaust system designed to put out some sound, with the traditional 250 SWB/GTO exhaust tips sticking out the back, and there you have it.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    One thing that you are forgetting is that every Ferrari was actually the peak of current technology at that time. You are suggesting that they throw away their companies mission statement and make 'amusing' cars.

There are plenty of other manufacturers that make cars with confusing design goals ... Ferrari never want to be on that list.

Pete

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pete, you need to lighten up.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ???, what was wrong with what I said? :confused: There was nothing overly serious about the tone, just my views ... are you upset that I questioned your views?, if so that is called discussion, and last time I was involved with a discussion I also listened and accepted others views ;) :D

Who needs to lighten up? :D :D

Merry Christmas ... but I still hope that Ferrari do not go more retro than they already do (have a look at the 360, 550, etc. many styling cues from historic models), but I do like the new Ford GT.
    Pete

14. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pete...Not upset about anything. I didn't mean to offend you, just my clumsy attempt at humor. Please accept my apologies.

Yeah, I am kind of opinionated. I like the older cars, and think Ferrari aesthetics have been in the can since the mid 1970's. I think Ferrari's building a new retromobile based on an very recent existing front engine design would be a good move, because they could use existing yet up to date technology, saving lots of money, and sell plenty of them by appealing to a distinct and affluent market segment. I just don't see it as a huge compromising factor in Ferrari's overall philosophy, unless it was such a huge success that all buyers wanted a retro Ferrari! The Ford GT is awesome, but a boutique product for a huge company. But, maybe a comparison is apt, since Ferrari is a subsidiary of Fiat.

Best wishes,

Scott

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    100% accepted ... and I will add a couple of layers of skin to myself ;)
    Are you sure we are not related? :D
    Fair enough and in some cases I can agree (550 Bachetta, 575 and 612).
    I guess I'm not a fan of the retro stuff ... which is amusing because I feel something for the new Ford GT (now that reads weird, but you car nuts will understand what I mean ;)).
    I guess the thing that I love about Ferrari is a close to a performance is the only thing that matters attitude. I know that that is not 100% true, but many of the cars (Ferraris) I lust after are the 100% track focused ones (like the 250GTO and my fav: the 250LM). I think that is why currently I am not such a fan of the 575 and the 430 has my attention. To me the 575 is too much of a compromise and I believe that the 612 does the job of a front engined barge better, ie. you can actually fit a couple more people in it and thus space is better utilised.
    Time will tell ... but I currently like the reference to the older models in the modern cars, but that is just me ;)

Pete

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pete...I appreciate the reply.

I think the above quote from your post illustrates our respective viewpoints. You are obviously a hard core racing fan, who is very keen on the latest track-focused engineering and technology; you tend to see form as following function and as a natural outgrowth of what is learned through track experience.

I've always been a primarily road car guy. I revere Ferrari's longstanding heritage in the racing department, and am aware that racing and the development and sale of road cars went hand in hand for Ferrari when he was an independent concern. I remember F1 in the 60's quite well, and am currently wowed with the re-emergence of F1 greatness led by Schumacher and company, but have never been an avid fan or close follower of F1 or other track events. Give me a Classic/Ferrari meet or concours anyday. To me, aesthetic qualities are supreme but they have to be part of a complete engineering and performance concept as well. That's why I've been a Ferrari nut since my mid teens in the 60's, as opposed to being into 50's T-Birds or something like that.

Best wishes,

Scott

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ferrari could actually do this probably with the people they put out of business. They don't even have to do this themselves. They just need to control and license the right people and take the money. I think its a great idea. Feasible if its for "off road" use only. If they were eligible in all classes of vintage racing. why not put your valuable 250LM or 250GTO in a museum. Factory recreations would be replacable. Their chassis numbers would indicate a continuation series. In England you can buy a brand new body shell for an MG or Jag E-type. Audi lost most of its Auto-Union history after WW2. In the 90's they commissioned brand new Auto-Union grand prix cars including all the castings. There is a huge profit center for Ferrari to take its history seriously. You need to balance the future with the past that created it. I'm in!

Freeman

18. boxer frank

boxer frank Karting

Sep 30, 2004
    toronto canada
    Full Name:
    FRANK
    good points freeman

-just to clarify i am not asking why ferrari don't reproduce the old greats for the road with modern tecnology
    -iam asking for a logical explanation as to why they won't produce exact reproductions of the originals as they are worth millions and ferrari could build them for a fraction of their current value and help elevate the brand even further
    -just like shelby does
    -then we would have a good chance to see and hear them at the track

-maybe they don't want to upset their friends and good customers that own originals

- then again a fauvre series 1 gto (rebodied 250gte) a very nice copy with 250gte frame and mechanicals sold about 1 yr ago on ebay for less than 500K

does anyone rememeber what the high bid was???

- so maybe the market isn't that big afterall and the originals values are all about speculation

- but look how many shelby cobras and shelby daytonas have been
    reproduced?

-ferrari won't let anyone else build them either
    -they sued fauvre to get him to stop reproducing gtos

19. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    -just to clarify i am not asking why ferrari don't reproduce the old greats for the road with modern tecnology

It would cost more than the peanuts being suggested. New tech and old manufacturing methods/requirements/designs do not mix.

-iam asking for a logical explanation as to why they won't produce exact reproductions of the originals as they are worth millions and ferrari could build them for a fraction of their current value and help elevate the brand even further

A good part of the value of these cars is simply that they are not available cheaper through other means (save for Datsun 240Z rebodies). Build more, the price drops (racing heritage aside for some of these mythical machines now).

-just like shelby does

Hmmmm.

-then we would have a good chance to see and hear them at the track

Fly to Goodwood at Revival time or any number of historic meets around the world. Many of the current owners are genuine enthusiasts who use them.

-maybe they don't want to upset their friends and good customers that own originals

And the problem with that is? They already make as many cars as they can sell. In fact they can probably make only a 10th as many cars as they could sell. But the brand is not enhanced by volume.

- then again a fauvre series 1 gto (rebodied 250gte) a very nice copy with 250gte frame and mechanicals sold about 1 yr ago on ebay for less than 500K

does anyone rememeber what the high bid was???

Sorry, no.

- so maybe the market isn't that big afterall and the originals values are all about speculation

Some of the value no doubt. There's market there for the genuinely rare I think.

- but look how many shelby cobras and shelby daytonas have been
    reproduced?

What's the market rate for them?

-ferrari won't let anyone else build them either they sued fauvre to get him to stop reproducing gtos

Fair enough I think. They have an icon with value, and that value is potentially diminished when copies come about.

A bit of a heavy/harsh response, but I can't see this happening at all. I don't see the Ferrari mystique being enhanced at all by doing this.

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think Ferrari is losing out by not even having a factory restoration program. When you have a brand that is as much about its history as it is about its future you need to manage this as much as sponsoring an event. The old saying, "One step backwards, two steps forward". The more original parts Ferrari produces for its vintage cars the more they will be worth and more original Ferraris will be on the road and track. It will only bring more enthusiasts to the brand.The parts for my "L" Series Dino from Ferrari is very limited. Ferrari has to look 20-50 years into the future. Porsche has been doing this for years successfully. At Weissach, Porsche's development center, when there are resources available they cast new parts for their historic racecars such as the 906, 910, etc plus an incredible parts supply for 356's to early 911's. They sell these spares to their customers. I think Ferrari's customer F1 program is fantastic. If Ferrari makes it the customers will come. Its all good business and its smart business.

Freeman

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Um...all that HP with wire wheels?? Pass.

Ken

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    What does this thread have to do with vintage?

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Everything.

24. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    Is that why Ferrari was so quick to adopt four-wheel independent suspension, disc brakes, fuel injection, mid-engine layout, etc., etc.?

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Re-engineered, of course.