Why Ferrari and not Porsche? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Why Ferrari and not Porsche?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dretceterini, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    I don't know you Rick, but you got it right; the Porsche is more like a cold, teutonic *****; the Ferrari is like a hot-blooded Latin lover! If you have to ask...

2. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Don't have the time to read throught all 12 pages of this thread, so this point may have already been raised. If not, here is my view on the classic Porsche vs. Ferrari debate. To me, the biggest difference between today's Porsche and today's Ferrari is originality. Except for the GT, all the modern day Porsches look alike. When Ferrari discontinues a series, they move on to another design. The 348/355 looks nothing like the 308/328, and the 360/430 are totally different from the two previous V8 series. Regardless personal taste in what is visually appealing, they are different and unique and are special for those reasons. An owner of a 328 is not necessary going to want to own a 355 or a 430 as they are completely different cars inside and out. This makes Ferraris more than just a car, they have souls, personality and that makes them an automotive art.

As for Porsches, they are great sports cars and are well made. All their models have shared parts and designs with one another. Even with the replacement models, they are nothing but continue evolution of the same old design/silouette. Back in the 80's, a 911 is a 911 and a 944 is a 944. No one will ever mistaken a 928 with a 911, from either interior design or exterior design. I can now barely tell the difference from one generation of 911s to the next. All model shares the same dash and controls, which keeps production cost down, but at the same time, causes them to lose the once unique character that each model possess.

In conclusion, Porsches are still great cars with amazing performances, but in the world of truely exotics, performance is not everything. Because someone else can always make something more powerful, runs faster, handles better, as any of the newer cars should. But that doesn't make them unique.

3. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Ferrari vs Porsche

Revolution vs Evolution

Ferrari can get it right first time, whereas Porsche only ever seem to strive to improve. The Carerra GT should be better than the Enzo, but it's not. That's the difference to me.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John

Adrift, I am with you on this one. Anyone who says the boxster is not a real anything is either a poseur or a fool. My 3.4 boxster is well under 2800lbs and over 300hp and is so tossable and evenly balanced it continually amazes me. I find, after driving the ferrari, I get in the bosxter and it takes me many miles to realize I don't need to brake for the corners. Take a 25mph curve at 70 w/o braking and with total control and balance and you have a real car. In fact it is kind of cool to have a modded car that has this capability, but only the driver knows it. By next spring this will be a 400+hp turbo warrior with performance numbers second only to cars well north of 200k.
    All that said, when I want to go for a drive, just for the sheer enjoyment of it, the ferrari is ofter the key thats turned. Something about the sound......

5. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    It is unquestionable that Porsche has great performance neck and neck when compared to Ferrari in terms of performance development. So the issue of performance is not quite the point here.

Why Ferrari not Porsche?

I think only in my humble opinion and my own experience Porsche is a stepping stone to owning a Ferrari. I do not mean that Porsche is cheaper because they have their top end GTs also but for a sports car lovers and would-be sports car owners they would be able to afford an AFFORDABLE Porsche first. Again, this does not mean that there are no cheaper Ferraris but they are not affordable in terms of maintenance. As Porsches do give you the excitement of a sports car but it is not enough unlike Ferraris that you have been gragging, craving, and saving up to be a proud owner one day.

Once you own a Ferrari you will stick to it you are unlikely to change to other makes but again there are some exceptions but majority will always be Ferrari enthusiasts.

It gives you the thrill, excitement, attachement to it. You look after it as if it is a member of your family. You do not threat it as a car.

I think if you ask the question: which one to choose Ferrari or Porsche and everything other factors being equalled ie. maintenance, price, upkeeping.

Then I think you will get an overwhelming one-sided answer, that is for sure.

6. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Two reasons:

My boss is a life-long Porsche guy- he even borrowed some of my models to display in his office- He's got the 996, posters hanging around his house, etc. He finally admitted to me that he'd sell the car and put himself in a precarious financial position to swing a 360 to drive everyday.

My girlfriend has never noticed a Porsche in her life. She can't take her eyes off anything Ferrari, from a 246 to Enzo. She gets excited when I point out that an older car is, in fact, a Ferrari. We both roll down the windows to hear a 355 go by.

I grew up with a Porsche obsessed father, and while I understand the cars, they seem to lack a pulse. Driving them at 10/10ths and reaping all of the rewards that a 40 year old design has to offer is something few can do; I honestly believe that you can enjoy a Ferrari at any speed.

..and yeah, chicks dig it.

-Chris

7. 88carrera

88carrera Rookie

Nov 30, 2004
    Thousand Oaks
    Full Name:
    Brent Elam
    I have not yet been fortunate enough to own a Ferrari although I have my heart set on a 328 GTS, do to its reliability factor and in my humble opinion timeless styling.

That being said, I have owned several 911's through the years, most recently an '88 Carrera that I truly enjoy. It may not have the exclusivity of a Ferrari, but I still enjoy its classic curvey lines and reliability, not a straight line on the car. My wife actually prefers the lines of a 911 to a 328, although that will not deter my quest for a 328 some day. (I still prefer styling of a 328 to a 911).

As far as exlusivity, I have a '62 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 2 that is in like new condition that turns heads when I'm out, so I guess that makes up for the lack of attention the Porsche gets. I truly love Porsche 911's, but they just don't evoke the same passion in me the way a Ferrari does. Now if I can just get my wife on board with the Ferrari idea.

8. GT3 Owner

GT3 Owner Rookie

Oct 23, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I belive they are different cars. I profess to both lust after Ferrari's while in the process of educating myself (read ignorant) about the breed. I do own two 911's (an 04 GT3 and a 78 911SC).

The Ferrari's are beautiful. No question. Porsche's too, have their own timeless beauty. The new ones have better lines, the old ones are classic.

As BEAUTY is the word that comes to my mind when I think Ferrari, FUNCTION is the word that comes to my mind when I think Porsche. Both cars are performance cars. I do believe if you are truely going to use your car there is no choice. I put forth the following questions for consideration when comparing both marques and to educate myself in the process as I still want an F Car.

1. How much does the average Ferrari guy use their cars - even as weekend type drives 2-3k miles a year?

2. How does the average Ferrari guy use their cars? How many compete in autocross, driving education events, or competitive racing? I drive my car a couple hundred miles to a drivers ed event, beat the snot out of it all weekend at the track and drive it home a few times a year. The same with an autocross. Then drive it to dinner the next day or to work. My buddy has driven several hundred miles to Mid-Ohio, competively raced all weekend, put the track tires loaded in the passenger seat area and back of the car and drives home. This is in a 20 year old car! Only in a Porsche can you do that.

3. How long do the real Ferrari enthusiats stay with the marque? In the PCA I have met guys who have owned these cars and have been active club members participating in a variety of club driving events and socials for over 30 years! Many of them easily 20 year members.

I draw upon the analogy of the Ferrari being a mistress and the Porsche being a wife. The mistress is tempting, but how long does anyone stay with one?

Please this post is not intended to inflame anyone. I will one day own a Ferrari, its beauty and sound is something truely special.

So if I had to have just one, you know my decision.

9. Robbin

Robbin Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    NY
    Like so many on this site, ferraris have been the stuff of childhood dreams. The combination of delicacy power and beauty make for an almost artistic combination that has universal appeal. It takes risks both in styling and on the road with inspiring directness. It achieves its ends with grace and poise not with security or obvious engineering at the expense of balance and feeling. It speaks to the heart and soul not just to the head and the stopwatch.

I have always liked emotional cars and for me Porsches are much less emotional--practical, occassionally impressive, but not truly emotional for me.

I now own a small Porsche that I genuinely like--not for its passion--but because it does so many different things relatively well. It is composed on the track often surprising more powerful cars because of its balance, reliable, fun with the roof down, comfortable enough to take a child to the zoo and has ample luggage space for a weekend with the significant other. You can park it anywhere and there are times when the anonymity is great--just not in the extorverted mood.

GT3's are impressive on the track and I have driven them several times but the ferraris I have driven are even more exciting. The GT2 Neurbrurgring times appear significantly faster than a stradale's (and certainly than a 360's) but despite trying hard, the car has never had the same overall appeal. i might buy one but I would still long to drive or rent the ferrari.

For me to this point I have rented ferraris and bought Porsches because in my view they are overall more practical and I can drive them hard in many environments without ruining their value. But my childhood heart still holds an image of the free and graceful ferrari and I am not sure what I will buy next.

10. JoeG54

JoeG54 Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe G
    I have to admit I'm having some difficulty understanding why any of these "arguments" really matter? Sounds like very weak logic to me (I own both P and F cars)...

Looks are a completely subjective thing.

Why does how may miles one drives the car annually matter? Why does the ability to drive the car to work necessarily matter (unless of course you'll have only one car, which seems to be rare among Ferrari owners -- or actually, the majority of households in the US). Why does the fact that the car is 20 years old matter, if the owner plans to sell it after ten? Who cares if someone doesn't want to autocross their car -- does that somehow make them less worthy of owning an exotic? (And speaking of exotics, maybe that's why some people own Ferraris and not Porsches -- again, I own both.)

So what? Who cares how long they "stay with the marque"? You seem to imply that only long-term owners' opinions really matter. What if I want to drive a Ferrari for 4 years, then start riding motorcycles? (The case with the guy I bought my car from). Does this make his opinions any less well-thought-out, or appropriate?

Why does this matter? Maybe the guy just wants to have a "car fling"? Besides, I suspect that some married men will privately admit that they've stayed with their wives way too long!!

At this point, I don't think you should buy one -- it doesn't sound like it would make sense for you, given your personal preferences.

11. MayB1Day

MayB1Day Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Dave

People assuming that you've got dough if you're driving such a vehicle IS the biggest issue I see with owning a Ferrari.

Most people would be embarrased by this.

12. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My friends know I'm a car nut and always have been. They know I drive one for the love of the car. I expect most people who hang out here are the same -- car dweebs, not poseurs. But is is very Canadian to be embarrased by any sort of display of wealth, even if that is not the intent.

13. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    If you have to ask you will not understand!

14. Philip in AL

Philip in AL Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm coming at this in the opposite direction; I have a new GT3 and am doing my best to find a F430. Why the Ferrari? Because a Ferrari is just so damned good looking! Yes, my GT3 is faster. Yes my GT3 is less expensive. Yes my Gt3 is more dependable. That being said, and disregarding the driving experience, it sounds boring and it's boring to look at!

The sounds from a Ferrari 360 at fire up, are really unmatched by anything that I've ever heard. While the 360 may be a little more visually appealing, I'm opting for a 430 due to the new trans and the increase in performance. Hopefully I'll get: better looks, better sound and equal performance, compared to my GT3.

BTW, any of you that may have changed your mind and are on the waiting lists, I would love to buy your "spot" from you.

Philip

15. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    I bet that will be "ditto" for many people.

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    philip, the new f430 has 103 more hp than the gt3, i think you find will easily out perform the gt3....

17. Philip in AL

Philip in AL Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm sure; but I'm willing to pay up!

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I like both Porsche and Ferrari but lean in my affection far more towards Ferrari ...

Both cars have tremendous racing history and an ability to make great drivers cars. But the sheer variety in Ferrari models makes it a more interesting marque to me. Porsche focused on its 911 for so many years with continuous evolution rather than revolution that only the cognoscenti can differentiate between some of the models. But a lay man can differentiate between a F360M and F355.

That said I would love to be able to own a '73 911 Carrera RST along with many F-cars in my "dream garage". And I am sure for those of you complaining that P-cars are too tame and uninvolving - you must be referencing to the current crop of 911s --> try out some of the 930 Turbos. I am sure that is pretty involving and hairy even :)

19. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Didn't read every post so apologies if this has been said...

Boring solid utility woman who does the dishes perfectly every time or exciting curvacious beauty that you have to take out to eat?

Same arguement to me...

20. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    It's real simple -around here you can't drive 2 blocks without seeing a Porsche. The last Ferrari I saw was the week before last - excluding the one I see in my garage every day. I can go months without seeing another F car here in the midwest. That's not saying a Porsche doesn't make some decent cars but they're everywhere.

21. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    I don't own a Ferrari but if I had the choice to pick between the two I would go with a Ferrari. IMHO, styling-wise, Porsches don't look as exotic as a Ferrari. (yeah yeah, exotic is subjective) All of them seem to look about the same; like a 'sooped' up VW Beetle with a bodykit.

22. McNab

McNab Rookie

Dec 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian Stewart
    Normally a Ferrari talks to you, whereas a Porsche says almost nothing at all. Both are demonstrably excellent, but the Ferrari seems very much more intimate than the Porsche, and that characteristic is important to me.

Reliability is not an issue with either - I've had six of each, all used as daily drivers, and have been stranded only once by each marque. My confidence in Ferrari gave me three worry-free trips from Scotland to Southern Austria and back in my 308 GTB, and daily use of the other Ferraris was never a problem.

However, service has been a decisive factor, and the difference between 20 miles and over 100 miles to the nearest dealership has caused me to change horses (!) in mid-stream three times in recent years. Dealer stability would be very welcome.