Why Ferrari and not Porsche? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why Ferrari and not Porsche?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dretceterini, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I owned Porsches for 20+ years. 1st one was a '77 last one was a '90, that I sold earlier this year. I had always been a Porsche guy.

Once sold, I bought a '72 Dino 246GT. Even this older Ferrari has a much more visceral experience than any of the Porsches I owned, test drove and admired for 20 years.

I'll never go back to the Porsches, as long as Ferrari makes cars.

I'm already hunting for a second one to have when the Dino is out of service, and to avoid putting too many mile on her. I put 900 miles on it in two weeks of pleasure driving, and broke the water pump.

I can't describe the difference except to say you really drive the Ferrari, and the Porshe, while fast, reliable, eye catching, etc., is more of a ride and less of a drive.

And nothing, nothing sounds like a Ferrari.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I currently own two Ferraris and a Porsche. While the Porsche is much quicker than either Ferrari, I enjoy the involvement of driving the red cars much more. Both marques make good cars, but Ferrari wins my heart every time.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Why?

I drive both, one at a time, because: "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."

Why ask why?

4. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I owned a 911SC, then switched to a 328 GTS, then back to a 993 Cabrio as a newer, more practical alternative. I looked up one day and realized that I hadn't touched the 993 in 7 months and hadn't even peeked under the cover for three months. Great car but did not excite me much. I sold the 993 Cab last year and bought a 348. I still stop to admire the 348 every day and drive it every weekend. It's overall looks, color, shape and glorious sounds put a smile on my face every time I drive it. My Porsches were very good to me and could easily have been daily drivers, but that's not what I wanted a two-seater sports car for. I wanted it to be a treat to drive. For my money Ferrari is simply a more fun car.

5. vinnycar

vinnycar Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    New Canaan, CT
    Full Name:
    Vincent Cardone
    As a newcomer to this group I am impressed by the degree of Porsche onwnership and experience represented. I wonder if there is comparable representation of Ferrari experience on a Porsche chat group. I also came to Ferrari late after owning five P-cars, the most recent a 2001 911 Cab-4, which I had considered the "swiss army knife" of cars because of its versatility. Howver, something that I found so attractive about sports cars was missing from the recent Porsches, something that attracted me to sports cars with my first experience with a borrowed MGA in college three decades ago...involvement! So I also swapped for a 348 Spider in April and have never looked back. Incidentally, based on my experience, I believe reliability is something that has come to Porsche only within the last 10-years or so and after Porsche called in Japanese quality assurance consultants to show them how to Q/C the build process.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Unfortunately the accountants kicked out the quality assurance consultants. The bean counters figured out it made more financial cents to slash costs and hang an inferior product on the unsuspecting consumer. If there is a correct way and a cheap way, guess what the engineers are signing off on these days? The GT2 is a prime example of the "money pit" you will be on the hook for with your Porsche driving experience. You won't get any sympathy from the Boxster owners, they are riding the bus these days. You won't get any sympathy from Porsche either. The accountants are happy though; warranty payments are way down. The imortal words of P.T. Barnum still ring true today... Life is no better for that other company down the road. Their customer satisfaction rating fell from first place on the list to LAST PLACE!
    ch

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Rounder: What are you referring to when you say: 'The GT2 is a prime example of the "money pit" you will be on the hook for with your Porsche driving experience.'

Apart from a cheesy interior for a car of its price, and issues over the longevity of the brakes on the track, what about the GT2 makes it a money pit? I've owned one for a year with nary a problem and know a number of other owners who have driven them hard without a hitch.

I won't enter the fray on the general topic, other than to state that i am currently enjoying the rawness of the GT-2, and this comes after a pair of 550's and quite a few other ferraris owned in succession. The newer cars are unfortunately, too lux; I don't like heavily assisted power steering. The CS is the right idea, i just wish Ferrari would do the same in a 12 cyl. car-strip it down, make it lighter, lose the stereo and the luggage and some of the excess weight and sell it, sticker, at the 250 price point. I think the Ferrari may be sexier, but at least compared to the GT-2 (which, in fairness is at the price point of the 360, so its a fair comparison), the Porsche is an amazingly involving drive. Its also quicker than ****. But, i'll give you guys the nod for exclusivity, sexiness and a far nicer interior. (As to sound, i like my cars not too gnarly to attract attention; the tubi is too boomy for me. But, unfortunately, to run the turbo properly, it needs a free flow exhaust, and if you want to talk about "sound" i've got that in spades, too with an aftermarket exhaust). So, for what its worth, just a voice to remind you that its not a slam dunk for all of us.

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks for the observations from an owner regarding the GT2. Regarding the "money pit" it seems that the initial entry price is excessive for the modest performance gains offered more reasonably by other lesser (price) Porsche models. If you are paying for the new brakes that is not a small amount of money. Steel brakes are a bargain by comparison. The fact that the interior does not stand up to rugged (studs on bluejeans?) use along with the damage that is caused by the low ride height all adds to the cost of the experience. One poor soul went through 3 motors which was an unusual situation but for him it was a very PERSONAL experience. Then there is the big hit in resale value if you decide you want a change. The cost (not just financial) is high for the "pure" driving experience.
    ch

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Do this...

Say Ferrari

Now

Say Porsche

Okay, I debate settled.

10. Eddy1

Eddy1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Jeff, I wondered if you could share your driving experience between the 328 and the Boxer you own. I am considering importing either one from Europe into Canada and would like to know how the Boxer compares to the 328 or some of the more modern Ferrari cars. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

11. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I think that religiousness or extremism are our biggest ennemy, cars or other matters alike, and being unconditionally lauding Ferraris or criticizing Porsches makes little sense.

I believe that, if Ferrari owners had a little bit more critical distance relatively to the unforgiveable quality shortcomings, we'd collectively force Ferrari to deliver the best of both worlds: a special driving experience & no silly hassles. Are their masochists out there for whom problems and ludicrous bills are part of the ownership pleaasure ?

I like my F cars a lot for what they deliver, and I dislike their manufacturer for their shortcomings. I would not be surprised if, one of these days, I end up with a GT3 and/or 911 cab, because I will have grown tired of F-BS.

Btw, it's interesting to see how Porsche comes out as the de facto alternative. Not Lambo, not BMW.

12. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I didnt get a Ferrari but I was in the same situation a short while ago, I had the same amount of cash and had the same choice. I drove a few Porsches they didnt do it for me, like a 246GTS does (have not driven a v12 yet). Although the body is usually stunning, its the motor that makes a Ferrari.

So I bought a FIAT Dino, its not a Ferrari but when I fire up that Dino motor it sure sounds and runs like one, even if it does say FIAT on the front of the car. Like everyone else has said, Porsche felt like a very fast VW.

And oh yeah, where are you finding $40k Ferrari's to have that choice from ?

13. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Between my 308 and my 911 widebody, I'd take the 308. Between my Mondial and the same 911, I'd take the Porsche. But I'd scrap them all for a 512.

Generalities mean very little. Rather than make blanket statements, it would be better to deal with individual cars and individual experiences.

14. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    While Ferrari is my favorite marque, Porsche comes in at a close second. Both companies have good long racing lineage and history --something I love!

I love all Porsches, but unfortunately there are some that I wouldn't ever own (even though I do infact like them). The pedal arrangement on the 70s and 80s 911s is just horrible in my opinion. I sat in one the other day playing with the pedals and just couldnt figure out a safe way to heel toe. Unfortunate because I love the car itself and could have even afforded to buy an older SC as a "fun" car!

Id classify Porsches as world class sports cars and I would classify Ferraris as world class exotic cars. Though small, there is a difference between the two classes! I don't think that necessarily means one is better than the other, however.

15. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If I was going to buy a new car today it would probably be a Porsche GT2 because its cooler than anything Ferrari makes today.

The CGT is awesome but too much $

16. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    William,
    Would you purchase a Porsche over a Lambo?
    I personally would take a ferrari over a porsche because I never cared for the interior styling and driving positions of the porsches. Even though I like the boxster, I'm not big on the interiors of the car. The 911's seating looks to straight up and down for me. My 308 fits me like a glove. Plus I love the classic interior of the car. The whole package is just really cool.

17. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Having owned the two best looking porsches ever made - a triple black 1989 Speedster and a Beck 550 Spyder with many genuine Porsche parts, including engine. I'd say both of these cars outclass many Ferraris that are in the same price category. My '89 Speedster was $35k and my Beck 550 was $18k. You can't even compare the cost of ownership ( I actually MADE money on both of the Porsches). Porsches are the minor leagues and Ferraris are the majors. In my opinion, the Porsche is not special, it's just a nice, reliable car. If I had $50k to spend, Ferrari would get the nod. If I had $25k, Porsche without a doubt.

18. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I chose a Porsche 996 Turbo because of the ease of modification. Gaining big power is fairly simple, and I am a power/torque junkie. The altitude here in Colorado just kills a normally aspirated car so turbos were another advantage. Reliability and ease of maintenance add even more reason for me.

I am looking to add one more vehicle and so far, the Gallardo, has the "exotic" advantage for me.

19. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Why is it assumed that because someone owns a Ferrari they are not a Porsche guy?

I love my Porsche. I have a hotrod '69 911S with full racing suspension, lightweight interior and body panels and a 220hp 2.6 liter MFI engine. It weighs 2000lb, sounds like 1960s F1 car and handles like a go-cart. I also love the early body style with no fender flares or wings and lowered.

I also love my Ferrari. Trying to choose between them would be tough.

I usually sum up the difference like this: If you want to drive a fast car on the street, dont mind some maintenance headaches, want it to look and sounds like no other car on the road, get a Ferrari. If you want a car that is going to be extremely reliable, and you want to put it on the track and generating the best possible lap times for the class of car is your goal or your going to flat out race it... get a Porsche.

I think a great example of this comparison is the new Porsche GT3 and the 360 Challenge Stradale. The Ferrari is phenomenal looking, makes just incredible sounds, is extremely fast and Im sure a total hoot to drive. The Porsche also looks good but not as good, makes good sounds but again not as good and just not as "exotic" as the Ferrari. But.... given equal drivers around a track like Road Atlanta the GT3 is likely to make the Ferrari driver feel his money is not so well spent since the Porsche will turn lower lap times for 50% of the Ferrari price.

So... if you want to race it buy a Porsche. IF you want to have lots of fun on the street, buy a Ferrari.

Terry

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    wel l said rick

21. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Hello guys,
    my .02. Most everyone here when they say porsche only talk about the "911 family". Yet ferrari include all the different attributes of v-12 sound and the great lines of the 360. Lets at least be fair and compare all models made by both companies. And this is important - there aren't many absolutes here just opinions. Both companies make great cars, but many don't really know the actual history of both brands.

Vogel said- I've never wanted to enjoy the drive and the sound of a Porshe.

Bart said- I will take the smoothness of a V-12 over a flat 6 anyday.

Mark(study) said- Just a little thing...but driving the Porsche, the seating position felt too up-right and like a normal car. Driving the Ferrari I sit down low and feel like I'm driving a mid-engine race car.

Woodear said- Do you want your car sound like a F1 or a hair dryer? Your call

The answer to these and other comments are my 928, the 959 and the Carrera GT.

I have yet to sit in anything lower or more comfortable than my 928 seating position. Only the 360 rivals the 928 for sleek curves and when i do step on it peoples heads turn very fast. But if a large refined V-8 isn't enough then you can try the Carrera GT. I've yet to read a review that doesn't marvel at he sound of that engine. Bottom line - both ferrari and porsche make great cars. Only the inexperienced would say otherwise.
    T

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Either one is not a practical ,comfortable daily transport.
    Both are supposed to be "toys".
    Porsche for me ,stopped being exciting a long time ago,by now very boring styling,lack of exclusivity(you see them on every corner),to most people a $12k 911 looks the same like $100k+ 996.
    By now ,I see the Porsche being closer to Mustangs ,350zs and RX8s then to a Ferrari, as a potential competitor.(and acceleration has nothing to do with it)

23. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I guess I'm unusual (especially among Ferrari owners) in thinking that a flat 6 Porsche sounds much nicer than a V8 Ferrari...

And for $35-$40k, I'd certainly go for a 911 over a Ferrari.

Having said that, since I went from a 993 C4 to a Daytona, I haven't given the Porsche much thought; it was a great car - fast, reliable, beautifully-built - but after two years the sense of occasion when driving it had mostly gone. Even though it was only ever used as a second car. It just wasn't special enough to justify spending most of my spare cash on.

But at least that air cooled car still had a certain 'edge' to it. The two 996s I drove recently (Carrera 4S manual and Turbo Tiptronic) were far softer, and had much more the feel of a modern BMW or Merc - particularly in the feel & quality of the materials. Apparently the 997 is better in that regard, but not likely to make you feel any more 'connected' than the 996 does, I'd imagine.

By comparison, the Daytona has been a real pain for much of the short time I've owned it (lots of fettling needed on that engine) but at the same time is just such a pleasure to take out & drive - or even just park it on the driveway and look at it, or clean it... A year after I started hunting for one, the pleasure of ownership is (at least so far) growing every day.

I think it really depends whether you want 'a Ferrari' or a particular type of Ferrari. If you have your heart set on a Mondial or 400, you're lucky because you'll be able to achieve your dream for relatively little money (at least, to begin with).

But if I couldn't have any Ferrari, I'd much rather have a 911 - new or old - than anything else (including an Aston DB9 - sorry Jordan !)

John

24. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    Got a 997TT on order and currently looking to buy a Boxer at the moment. Not an either/or, but a both.

Damned if I understand what you lot are all on about the 360 being all that compared to the current 996tt though. The 360 is big arsed, fat and the 911Turbo leaves it for dead across any decent stretch of tarmac.

My heart yearns for a Boxer and my soul sings the song of the twelve, but my head says the range of talent the current 911turbo has is unmatched in any other motor vehicle I have come across and is the fastest car A-B across normal roads...except probably a caterham r500/Evolution.

25. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've just always been an italian car guy. I like Porsche's as cars, but I don't own one. Been tempted plenty of times. But that Italian voice inside my head keeps yelling: "Attsa matta with-a you boy- getta da Ferrari"

Dom