Why Ferrari and not Porsche? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Why Ferrari and not Porsche?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dretceterini, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    My ideal garage would be a Lusso, a 275 spider, a GTO, and a 375 Plus, but I'm not Ralph Lauren..

So, what should I buy for around $35,000-$40,000?

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Depends. If you want a collection, I'd go with a 400 and a 308 GTB/S or a Mondial. Just one car, 328 GTB/S based on your preference.

3. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    i hate topics like this comparing apples to oranges

4. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    That's not entirely true - you need to check your facts. The 911 and the Boxster are rated very highly on the reliability scale. It is the Cayenne that has seriously dragged down the numbers in recent years. The 911 and Boxster were both rated very well.

-Wayne

5. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, here's what I recommend:

- BMW 5-series touring for hauling the kids
    - BMW M3 for hauling ass as a daily driver
    - Ferrari for weekend driver
    - Porsche for the track / autocross

Of course, there is a lot of overlap there. I feel that the Porsche cars are just better designed for the track, and they are also way more cost effective. It's far less expensive to maintain a Porsche track car than a Ferrari track car.

-Wayne

6. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    People say ferrari has more soul than porsche.
    Ever notice as reliability goes up soul goes down.
    Im telling you, when a car has great lines and production numbers are low
    all you have to do is make it fast and make sure it will break down alot
    the people will flock to it, saying it has "SOUL"

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    After all is a matter of taste, I was out to buy a 360F1 and after a fast test drive I saw no real "magic", I kept my Testarossa and bought a 996TT. Why you may ask? Because thats the way I wanted it, I like the raw feel the looks and older way of power delivery of Ferrari cars the new ones are lacking some soul I think. And the 996TT its the perfect everyday car with so much power that a 360 feels just ordinary.

8. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    I find the Ferrari immediatly visually appealing.355 especially and the f-50.

Porshe has grown on me (late model especially.),
    I will purchase one for my girlfriend
    to be wife. She wants a silver one.
    Sounds like a good excuse to try one
    to me .Besides she'll get one because
    she's just as happy in a pickup truck.
    Thank God for procrastinating marriage
    to all the others.

9. xpresso

xpresso Karting

May 9, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    How about getting both cars....

10. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Well would you rather party with an Itallian model or a German model? I know what I'd pick.

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    My kids fit in the M3... so M3 for hauling ass as a daily driver and carrying the family. Honda Pilot for when I need to carry kids with friends.

Porsche Cab for going on dates or top-down cruising... and my wife's daily driver.

Ferrari CS for track/autocross... because it is AWESOME at that... I can drive around town with track worthy brakes without squealing embarrassingly... the car is awesome handling... even more awesome sound... and the overall driving experience is stellar. Porsche can't even come close.

And its that "driving experience" that I call "soul". As far as reliability, so far at least, my Modena and my Stradale have both been better than my Porsche. Yes, it is more expensive to maintain the Ferrari... but its that driving experience that I own the Ferrari for... I can't imagine taking anything but the Ferrari to the track (unless its a trailered purpose-built race car).

12. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Here's an easy answer to the subject question. A couple of weeks ago my buddy (2002 Carerra 4s) and I (lowly '78 GTS) pull up to a local yuppie restaurant with a bunch of people waiting outside. When some of the guys waiting walk over to look at the cars, guess which one they stand around talking about...? The Ferrari...question answered.

13. Rblcar

Rblcar Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Craig R.
    If you are an Alfa guy, a 308, 328 is the way to go because it will be the best Alfa you ever have (the same but better). A 911, 964, 993 will be "better" than an Alfa but more different.

14. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My input on the subject matter: had a '69 911E restored and built to 'S' specs and years later a 308 GTSi ..... drove the 911 for 10 trouble free years, great performance!

Drove the 308 a few months out of the year, rest of time it was down for something or another! 3 years later, dumped it.

True the 308 draws the crowds and has the physical beauty of great art.

If I want nice art, I will go to an art gallery and buy some.

If I want to be the center of attention and be gawked at all day, I will take up bodybuilding.

But....when I want a CAR to enjoy, I want performance AND dependability, I want to be able to drive it when I want to....not when it feels like I should!

So I am in the market for another 911.

I have grown and matured to the point where I no longer need the type of car I drive to validate myself. Couldn't care less if my 911 drew smaller crowds than my 308.....at least I could drive it 365 days a year! (and quite honestly, all that attention gets old real fast!)

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Perhaps a Porsche would be the sane choice (allthough, the contemporary Ferrari's easily match any contemporary Porsche), but in the end of the day, it is just a Porsche. It is very easy to defend a Porsche, since it is a very good car, but does it really appeal to the senses the way a Ferrari does? Sure, the Ferrari attracks bigger crowds and no that is not a reason to place a Ferrari above any Porsche, but what would be the reason why the Ferrari is the centre-piece where the Porsche is just another Porsche? Exactly...

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A few years ago I drove to Epcot Center in my NSX and my brother in his mint 328GTS, the crowd of people were all over the NSX and a hot chick said that she would rather drive the NSX. The NSX...question answered, I dont think so, but the people liked it better, so theres no real value to any of this. By the way I owned a 328 and a Testarossa and like Ferraris more than Porches but right now my 996TT is the car.

17. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    Just my .02, but I don't have any experience driving or even riding in either brand so I don't know how much it's really worth. I remember as a kid we would drive past the one dealership in Kansas City that used to sell Ferraris, and I would always be in awe just to see one in the showroom. My parents say I used to like Lamborghinis the same way but I vehemently deny that claim. I always knew Porsches were cool, and looked good, but they were always the top of the line of the "regular" cars to me. Ferraris were the car I wanted. Back then it was about the looks and the "assumption" of speed. Nowadays, I have a whole new level of respect and appreciation and lust for Ferraris. Porsches still are cool, but they aren't the same. As someone already said in this thread, I've never almost wrecked to see a Porsche. If I see a Porsche on the road now it gets a glance and that's about all. If it's a Turbo, TT, GT3 or GT2 on the rare occasion, I give 'em a nod of respect, but nothing like the thrill I get in my heart when I see even a "lowly" 308. And I most definately do not fly to th Detroit Auto Show in the middle of January every year to see the newest 911.
    As I said, I have no real personal experience with any of these cars other han just seeing them, so my observations are of less substance than the first-hand experiences on this thread, but just thought I'd offer the opinions of an innocent bystander.

18. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    there are some people who feel the same way towards porsches

19. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    very few....

20. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    to me this is a negative characteristic of ferrari ownership. i love the way ferraris drive and sound but i could do without the attention they draw. porsches are more stealthy and as least as quick and agile.

ferraris greatest deterrent are the ridiculous maintenance costs. i hope the new f430/420 is improved in this regard. don't get me wrong. i can easily afford current maintenance charges. i just don't like to feel like a chump.

there is NO reason that 30k service for a 996tt should cost $1200 vs $5000+ for a 360 modena. what a rip off!!

21. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    this certainly is in part because of the scarcity of ferrari's. it's just a more unusual sight. in part, this is intentional on the part of ferrari who keep their prices artificially high by limiting the supply.

i suspect if ferrari made more cars, they would also be more commonplace.

22. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Young children don't jump and down when they see a Porsche.

Teenagers don't give you a thumbs up and a head nod in a Porsche.

Mid age people don't say, "I've always wanted a Porsche."

A senior was standing next to my 308 and said, "Do you mind if I stand here and admire your car"

Just say Porsche aloud to yourself...then say Ferrari...there is absolutely no comparison and there never will be any.

23. horntail

horntail Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    flensburg germany
    Living in Germany I read their Auto Magazines, one test recently was between Porsche 911 gt3 RS and a Stradale 360. Result of test: Porsche
    fine quality and fun, but the stradale goes straight into the heart of all car lovers. Another interesting fact is points for resale value: Porsche 58 points Stradale 100 out of 100. Loss of value after 4 years P: 45% F: 15%.Looks to me like money out the window to by a Porsche
    compared to the Ferrari.

24. JOHNCJ8989

JOHNCJ8989 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks pretty good to me. I'm a Porsche owner and lover so saying that...... the Porsche driving experience is a unique one. The cars are a definate extension of your body(and I don't mean that in a phallic sort of way). I lurk on this board quite alot and appreciate the Ferrari marque and mystique. I hope to be joining your ranks with a 308GTB in the near future. Great board, great people.

25. MaseratiGuy

MaseratiGuy Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    Give me a break already, everything above is absurd.