Why Ferraris are worth a lot more than just $ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why Ferraris are worth a lot more than just $

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAYMAN, Aug 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I had an '98 M3. For 5 months. Got rid of it for two reasons: it was a lemon and it had no soul.

That said, at the end of the day, a Ferrari is still just a car.

2. Ferrari 328 Euro

Ferrari 328 Euro Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2004
    Salem, MA
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    If it aint a Ferrari, it's not worth driving!

Nuff siad!

3. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    different cars for different folks. It's good that not everyone can appreciate the qualities of a ferrari, if they did, it might just become another type of car, god forbid.

4. billyM3

billyM3 Rookie

May 31, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Chris
    you mean not everyone can AFFORD one!!!

...if ferraris were priced in the range that a lot of upper middle class people could afford then they would lose some of their prestige

(i have a gut feeling that people here will start to think i am trying to pick a fight with some of my posts, but that's not the case. i just think that sometimes one's love for their car can cloud their judgement into thinking that nothing else compares)

if you don't think an E46 has character then you're just nuts. :) its beautiful, high tech, high reving, and has a very unique exhaust note. that, and it corners and brakes almost as good as some of the exotics 5x the price. the CSL is even better.

SURE, ITS NOT A FERRARI AND IF YOU HAVE READ MY POSTS HERE YOU KNOW I AM A HUGE FERRARI FAN...I AM NOT SAYING THAT AN M3 IS A SUPERIOR CAR.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

BillyM3:

You obviously have not read my post and know little about the Ferrari market.

The cost of an E46 M3 loaded is 56K. The cost of a 348 is the same or less. The cost of a 328 is in the 40K range. The cost of a Mondial Coupe is in the 30K range. These are ALL affordable Ferraris--not for rich folks.

And by the way, I sold my E46 M3 because it's value was falling like a rock. Invest in a Ferrari and you'll be able to sell it for as much as you paid.

Please don't mistake us for snooty rich folks, for we do not fit that description.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The hardest thing for people to understand about Ferraris is that they aren't designed to be thrown out.

People who insist on always buying new cars will never consider a Ferrari.

But, properly serviced, and frequently driven, classic Italian sports cars will last roughly ... forever -- or until the Italian steel rusts, on cars not made mostly of aluminum. (Undercoating is a good investment.)

I still have the Alfa I bought new in 1979. And I still drive it. It's not the youngest girl at the disco, but it can still boogie. ;)

I paid almost as much for my new EVO as I paid for my 328. Four years and 20K miles later, and the Ferrari may be worth more than I paid for it. (I haven't been checking, as I'm not planning on selling it.) When the EVO is four years old, it will be getting tired.

Check the market around Thanksgiving, and you can probably get into a good Mondial 8 for the low 20s or so. When people are lining up for the new 360 replacement, the used market will dip, as people trade in their older Ferraris before buying a new one. Combine that with the post-summer sell-off, and you can easily get into a Ferrari.

Okay, maintenance is another matter. But maintain any performance car to the standards demanded by Italian machines, and it will cost. (My Celica turbo all-trac cost as much in maintenance as the Ferrari -- both were '88s; the Ferrari was built to last, the Celica wasn't.) Any less maintenance, and the performance will suffer. Some cars can get away with that. But you'll never be satisfied by a sub-par Ferrari.

Whenever people rag on me about the price of maintaining an Italian car, I just ask them how much they lose on depreciation, trading in cars every two years.

This attitude that all Ferraris have to be outlandishly priced is one of the reasons for those "contractor in a Ferrari" and "don't drive it to work" threads.

I think people like to think that Ferraris are out of reach -- it's a handy excuse not to own one. ;)

7. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Ouch! Now THAT'S Brutal!!! :D

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Buddy of mine went out a bought a 2003 zo6 with 5,ooo miles. Goes like stink and leaves me and the TR behind, but at the cafes I get the looks and the questions. I also get his attention. Nuff said. Fcar is all that and a bag of donuts. Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast !!

9. billyM3

billyM3 Rookie

May 31, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Whoa!!! when have i EVER said you or anyone else here was a snotty rich person? (maybe you meant that not as it came across)

i think its fantastic that one can afford a new ferrari - as long as the money didn't come from drugs or guns!!! i guess i am more of a "modern" ferrari fan...like the 550M/575M. those cars are out of my price range. i really don't want a 1980s ferrari as i simply don't find them attractive. that's just my personal opinion. maybe a nice TR, but that's about the only older ferrari i'd take.

BTW, the E46 M3 holds its value extremely well. try finding a nice 2001 M3 for less than $37-40,000 (you prolly can find a few with high miles or a seller that really needs the cash). that's ~$12,000 depreciation in 3 years or $4,000 a year. pretty darn good if you ask me.

it all comes down to personal preference anyway. i just said to lay off us M3 guys (kinda joking around) cause i think "SOME" people have this idea that ferrari rules and anything else falls way short. that's not a car enthusiast's attitude...that's a snob.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You misunderstood him. He wasn't calling you a snob.

His point was that HE isn't snooty; as in: don't think that because people here think Ferraris are better that you are looked down on for having a BMW. It's not snobby to prefer one car to another. I prefer many cheaper cars to much more expensive cars.

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point, and consider that aan m3 has free maintainence for 4yearsand my brother has but put 120k miles on his 01 coupe, the car is still has solid as day it was new..a 308 328 will kill you with maintenance costs if you try to drive 30k miles a year..anyone out there with 200k miles on their f car?how come ferrari owners are so quick to put down other cars? an m3 , 993,996 etc are plenty fun to drive... they are not ferraris, but this can be good and bad...

12. SupercarFreak

SupercarFreak Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    funny how you put down the M3, it can't be THAT bad if almost everyone who replies here has one, now can it?

you might not prefer it over your 348, but can't you be a car nut and at least try to respect his car?

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Reminder: this is the first post/topic:
    THEY paid ZERO attention in his Ferrari.

HE, still WIRED, was rushed onstage at the wheel of a BMW to sing "The Thrill Is Gone."

This is a dangerous combination. One should not mix cocaine and heroin. After all, that's what killed John Belushi.

14. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Gezz. This thread has turned into more conversation about M3's than Ferrari's. That's not even what the guy had, funny how conversations take on a life of their own.

15. SupercarFreak

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    it is your fault that no one here knows what car your friend owns. there is no new 3 series with 325 horsepower............

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've had an e36 M3 , an e34 M5 and now own an e39 M5 all used as daily drivers. None of them are boring cars. In fact, IMHO an M car can not be beat as a daily driver. Sure, my Boxer is more exciting to drive, but as a daily driver the M5 is far superior. For the best of all worlds, own BOTH!

17. SupercarFreak

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    so what car did your friend have raymond?

it'd be one thing to compare your 348 to his M3, if he had one, but if it isn't even a M3 it isn't even close to being a fair comparison.

anyway, how can the car he has have no sense of speed, if it is actually a M3 it's SIGNIFICANTLY faster in a straight line than your 348.

regards

18. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I told you I don't know what it was..Continue with your suppositions :)

19. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Who said that Ray? Ive had the 98SV, and I can tell you without a doubt the Murci is a much better
    car, hands down. It depends on who you talk to I guess. I also said I would sell my 6.0 and keep the Murci if I had to make a choice. Just because the clutch is not ultra heavy and the tranny is smooth doesnt mean its a bad thing. Lambo has to get with it, or its a vanishing breed. Making money is a requirement. Lambo hasnt done that until recently. I personally applaud the new moves, and look forward to whats coming.

20. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I'm just trying to stir up trouble A.J.

21. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Oh, sorry. lol. Ok, the raging bull is dead!!

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i love the new lambos... they have become everyday cars that still can kick it!!!

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Thats because you can't get the 996TT up to speed, the Porsche is a drivers car.

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

Also many put down cars that have more perfomance that their own, I have Ferraris and Porsches and the 996TT is in a class all by itself, 360 owners as 348,308,328,Mondial,355,550,Testarossa,512TR,512M,BB512, should never talk trash about the 996TT as this Porsche is better than those Ferraris. Maybe not as "special" as some or for some but it is a real ass kicker. Trust me I understand the blind love for a Ferrari but I know where to draw the line. I am buying a 360 replacement and not the next 997TT even when I know the 997TT will outrun the Ferrari and the reason is easy for me, because I want a brand new fast and modern Ferrari just to savor a brand new Ferrari and also a Ferrari is a Ferrari nothing else feels as special but that doesn't make it the best anyways.

25. billyM3

billyM3 Rookie

May 31, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Chris
    just a thought...

there are no "best" or "better" cars really. it all comes down to one's love for a PARTICULAR car.

-the M3 is a better car to me than an older ferrari

-a new farrari maranello is simply beautiful and almost perfect in so many ways...but that does not make it better than my M3 (it makes it different and i'd aspire to own one for unique reasons to me)

technical stats aside, you can't ever call another car "better" cause the argument cannot be won. just as you can't ever really defend your own car to another person cause the argument cannot be won.

imo, a true car enthusiast will see beauty in all cars just as a true musician can see true artistic creativity in all music.