Why Ferraris are worth a lot more than just $ | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why Ferraris are worth a lot more than just $

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAYMAN, Aug 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I am a musician and that comment about creativity in all music is also hard to judge, to me almost all the music in the radio is non talented unless is form a classical station, there might be great performers in world music, jazz, instrumental neo calssical fusion rock, classical, flamenco,etc. but in pop music, rap or just the big hair rock bands all I hear is crappy music for the non educated music masses. In all aspects of life you have good and bad and if you really know your stuff there is always a "best" or "better" one, of course you have to judge in different categories. For example there are hundreds of great classical guitar payers in the world but none is better than what Segovia was and still is due to his recordings and transcriptions. I am not starting anything with you about your posting, it is that no matter how this subject is touch not many will understand your point, I do understand you and by all means you are right but for some you are not exactly right. I would prefer the 550 over a M3 in a heartbeat, but you are you and only you can judge what you do and why, the rest doesn't really matter as do I or my posting. Some enjoy what I consider music garbage and those people consider mine boring, but the difference is that I know they are that way because of ignorance...

2. billyM3

billyM3 Rookie

May 31, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i want a 550 as well!!! ;)

i understand your point about music...heck, i sing and play the guitar, bass, violin, piano, as well as write and record my own music. now, i might not think a particular musician is talented but art is art and there is no bad art - just one's "subjective" opinion. i think eric johnson is prolly the best guitar player out there in this world but everyone seems to think that eric clapton rules when he is certainly not the best at all from a technical standpoint. eric johnson can run circles around him in skill as well as emotion from his strat (again, my opinion).

this is why i posted what i posted. everything is subjective to a large degree.

i don't like rap but its still art.

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I was watching Car & Driver TV the other day..they had a review of the new 645 coupe. Their comment was "it's the best car simulator on the road today" :) Fantastic in every respect, except that there's absolutely no driver feedback... apparently it's like playing a video game. It's a shame really, that the focus of modern sports car design is to isolate the driver from the road.. the exact opposite of want a fun car should do.

-R

4. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A buddy of mine got an Audi TT Quatro turbo 4 banger. As an automotive enthusiast, I can appreciate this car and what it can do - just as I do the M3's, M*'s, P cars, L cars, etc., etc. But as I am watching him drive the twisties ( at an alarming rate of speed, I might add), I notice that most of the time he had only two or three fingers on the wheel. Several times the back end skipped out without a quiver of feedback to the driver. Now, is that a testament to superior design, or part of the general numbing trend I am seeing in "performance" cars? (Good call Robin) This is the same guy who laughed as he commented on how hard I had to work the steering to turn my 308qv around in a parking lot (from a standstill). I tried to explain that at speed the steering is terrific and that road and car conditions are translated so beautifully back to my hands. I don't think he got it. I got the, " Your car was good in it's day - 21 years ago!! But technology has passed you by!!" I'm sorrry, but my car is as exceptional today as it was 21 years ago. I think it has charactoristics newer cars can only dream about obtaining.

When I open the door to my garage, I just find myself staring at that wonderfull design. The flowing lines, the obnoxious front bumper that probably had the boys from Pinanfarina ready to slit their wrists! It is just a perfect blend. A technical masterpiece, and I am in constant awe of it. I look at the Audi or a P car and I think V-dub. I look at the B-mers and I think old Volvo shoebox with rounded edges. Before the flamin' begins, please understand that I love these cars and what they can do - but they do nothing to stir my soul.

I might also add that I have lost count of the stupid a$$ B-mer M* (you pick the number) drivers who have tried to get me to race, tailgated, cut me off, flipped me off (when I ignored them), I could go on and on. I know we have great B-mer owners who frequent this site, so I do not understand it. Sorry, but "M" is beginning to represent an act concerning your mother.... In contrast, most every other "performance car" owner I have encountered on the road have either ignored, smiled, or given me the thumbs up - all of which I return enthusiastically.

Testacojones and BillyM3, I prefer the unbridled fury - yet technical master, Ritchie Blackmore. One of the most beautiful concerts I have ever been to was Segovia - amazing! I feel very fortunate to have heard him live before he passed.

Jim

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    love, and moola. :) for me, an X1/9 is better than any ferrari. why? because on my present income i can still eat steak, drink beer, and have a frikkin great drive. if i get a ferrari anytime in the next few months my diet of choice will have to be pot-noodles and broth. :(

6. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    The M3 is not a Ferrari. That's both good and bad.

7. TRTED

TRTED Rookie

Aug 13, 2004
    I've never driven an Audi Quattro but I understand them to be terrific automobiles.
    As far as the value of a Ferrari, I equate the purchase of a Ferrari as analagous to buying a fine watch. Yeah you can buy a timex to tell time, but some people prefer Patek Phillipe's for their quality, history and exqusite detail.

There's no doubt that F cars represent the pinnacle of Automobile ownership. However, to look down on someone owning a Bimmer or Porsche is somewhat arrogant IMHO.

8. Fezhead

Fezhead Rookie

Jun 8, 2004

John Belushi's Dead!!

9. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    gaw, how behind the times are you?

if you're not interfaced with the internet time server or AT LEAST dialled in to GPS at all times, you're just asynchronous. :)

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Wow, I've never heard Ferrari's described quite that way. Quality and exquisite detail are NOT words that come to mind when thinking of the build quality in my car. Frankly, most of the Ferrari's I've seen/driven/ridden in (with the exception of new 360's) are have horrible build quality & workmanship. The materials are usually sub-par too.

Didn't Enzo once say, "if you buy the engine, I'll give you everything else for free!". IMHO, we got what we paid for on that deal!

11. TRTED

TRTED Rookie

Aug 13, 2004
    Ok, fellas I retract my remark about quality. I guess I was too poetic in my description because of my fondness for these cars.

Ashsimmonds-"How far behind the times am I?"

I think you are referring to my watch remark judging from your post. Is Timex now the pinnacle of modern watchmaking? Or are you saying that Patek is a brand of the past with no relevence today?

Just wondering.

Ted

12. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    For some peculiar reason, I also gravitate to sexual metaphors re the Ferrari experience. Driving a Ferrari is like making love to A Woman Who Really Knows. Refined cars might be like a pretty woman with a degree from a big-name school, high-status job, good tennis player, proper family background, etc, but who just does not know how to do it like the Woman Who Knows How. One cannot convey the difference to someone who has never been in bed with someone who really knows what they're doing, and I mean on a lot more levels than just technical proficiency.

Designers of exotic Italian cars are on to something special, and considering the prices they demand for their cars, they know it.

13. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Ditto to what Don said, very well I might add.

14. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    I've driven both cars...they're both fun.

Just that the M3 is more suited to daily driving fun, whereas the Ferrari is more about the exotic thrill.

Given a choice of a $50k M3 or a $50k 348 (and to expand on this argument, what about a $50k LP400S)....it would depend on what I want.

Obviously if it has to only be one car, most people would go with the M3. It makes more sense. I'm pretty sure I'll get a C5 vette before I get my 308 since I'll need a new car by then.

But if I didn't have that need, then definitely the 308. Nobody knows what the future holds...

The average enthusiast likes to work his way up the automotive food chain it seems by starting with a honda, then a bmw, then a porsche, then a ferrari/lamborghini. I and a few others would prefer it backwards :)

-- Fellippe

BTW - The M3 CSL is an impressive car on paper....might be an interesting ownership experience.

15. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Boring
    Motor
    Works

right on the button! and the new ones look c**p too!