Why haven't 550s Appreciated More/Dropped in Value? | FerrariChat

Why haven't 550s Appreciated More/Dropped in Value?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sgtpeper, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As I'm doing research to potentially buy a 550, I've noticed the prices have really dropped over the last year or so. In general, I'm just surprised the 550 isn't more collectible and coveted at this point.

I'm curious why you all think this is?

Growing up my father owned 2 Ferraris that no one really particularly wanted - they were just old cars in the 70s and early 80s. One was a 250GTE and the other was a 365 California Spider. Both were bought for under 10k back then and both have clearly gone up quite a bit in value today - the 365 into a different stratosphere. I certainly wish he had been able to keep either of them past ~1983!

At any rate, my theory is that a big V12 Ferrari with a MT should be a true future classic. It's just interesting that the mid-engined cars have taken the spotlight in the more modern era of Ferraris.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

daytona355 likes this.
  2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Rush of speculators/flippers when the prices for nice examples started ticking up created instability in the market that has lasted a few years. Now all cars have slid back in terms of market value due to uncertainty in the global economy. Long term these are still collectible and should increase in time, not to mention they're absolutely superb cars to drive.

F456M, daytona355, LARRYH and 2 others like this.
  3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I would say just like the 250 GTE, nobody wanted it as much as other models then. Never been a fan of the 550 personally, don't even give them much of a second glance. Saying that, if YOU love it, pick one up.

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I think they're a rock solid investment in that they won't drop much further in value if at all. Just drive them and maintain them by the book and the world will be just peachy.

5. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It's just fascinating to me that the less expensive (when new), mid-engine cars that they made more of seem to be more desirable at the moment. I understand the lack of desirability on a 2+2 like the 456 as for some reason back seats seem to be a negative, but a wild 2 seater v12 with a manual transmission that was built in much more limited numbers seems like it would be a prize.

ewright and daytona355 like this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In my very humble opinion, the market will become increasingly uncertain and cars will continue their march towards electrification and autonomy, both of which will contribute to the appreciation of real cars, of which Ferrari is at the forefront.

If the 550 isn’t appreciating, it will in the middle run.

Last time these cars appreciated/soared, was when financial markets were uncertain. When it comes around again, these cars will appreciate again.

A manual V12 Ferrari will always be desirable and also to a agree, collectible (even mainstream models). Your money will be safe there. Nevertheless, I prefer to buy these cars to enjoy.

Just my humble two cents anyway.

Also, one interesting question: which one would you prefer and in theory which one will appreciate the most? A 550 (manual of course, as they were all built that way) or a manual 575?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  7. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would assume the much rarer manual 575 would appreciate the most in the long term.

I'm not saying I want to buy one to keep as a museum piece - I drive my cars - a lot! I'm just fascinated with the trends and always curious why the 550 doesn't get more notoriety.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Time and rarity...even the ubiquitous hippie vw bus is worth stupid money today. The newest 550 isn't even 20y/0 yet.

Adamas, BOKE and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    But neither is a 360 and they are selling for similar money.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have recently considered getting a 550, but have (for the moment) moved on to other things. My primary reason not not considering further is for me, the car is a relatively soft (comfortable) GT car and I'd rather have something I feel is more exciting and emotional.

They made 4,000+ which is a pretty big number for a car of its type. This is probably a good time to buy one, as alot of cars are trending down.

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’ve got a grand total of 3531 units: 3083 units of the 550 Maranello and 448 Barchettas. It’s still a pretty rare car, imho.

If one takes into consideration most brands produce a million or so vehicles each fiscal year (and Ferrari just circa 10.000) even the modern 458 or 488 with production numbers around 20.000 units each in a 5 year run, are still rare in comparison.

Also, in my humble opinion, production numbers don’t tell the whole story and it’s not always correlatable to desirability: I owned a 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet. Only 810 units were ever built. What did I find when I first tried to sell it? No one cared. Not only that, even those who cared about production numbers, prefered to buy other Ferraris, despite being produced in much bigger numbers.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

12. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's a fair point. So what is it about the 550 then that draws people away from lusting after it?

I can understand the point above that it isn't as emotional - or hardcore as other models. What else?

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It’s a good question but perhaps you have answered it yourself. The 250 and 365 took years to become classics, so the 550 needs time. Also by nature the classic front V12 Ferrari appeals to more mature drivers than racier models, and the kids of the 90s who might have loved Maranellos still have some ageing and wealth creation to do.

But also, there were no midengined Ferraris in their era, and the total production numbers were much lower, by a multiple, than the Maranellos. If you have 100k to burn on a 90s supercar you have other Ferraris, Astons, Porsches, all kinds of stuff that wasn’t around in the same quantities in the sixties.

The 550 is a great car to drive, a gated 575 even better (by quite a margin), but I find myself reaching for the keys for my gated 430 Spider when I have time for a weekend blast. The 550 and 575 are made for long, glorious tours that many of us just don’t have time to do, instead flying in a crowded tin can in the air.

I do think the 550s time will come. But while it has a great engine, handling, character and panache, the Maranellos do lack one thing the 250 and 365 had, which is visual beauty. The 550 is pretty, but it’s not a beautiful Ferrari in the style of the sixties classics, and time will not change that. How that affects values, I don’t know, there are plenty of expensive cars that aren’t beautiful, but beauty would probably help.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    ...also on a broader note, while the value of a 550 is what it is, the price drop in the past couple of years has been the same as most other Ferraris in percentage terms, due to reasons outlined by members, above. The change in values hasn’t been different, in percentage terms, to older Ferraris. Almost all have taken a hit, and its 12 cyl predecessors, the Testa/TR/M, and the Boxers, and the Daytona, have taken the same hit as 550s, or probably a bigger one in the case of the BBs.

daytona355 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Same reason for a TR .... and the TR made a big impact when introduced. It was radical and anyone wanting to be scene had to have one. Unfortunately, the 550 was just another car .... won’t go anywhere. From the boxer onward the 12 Ferrari is done unless it’s a specialty car .... same with the rear 8 .... the 348 SS and 355 firano haven’t gone anywhere either .... the 360cs , 430 scud is the only one that is holding. I suggest you buy the car you love and want to enjoy. If you are more concerned about the value, don’t even a Ferrari, but a stock. Buying the one you love the most will make it more tolerable when you get that bill of over 10k, as opposed to trying to convince yourself you like this car and values will go up.
    My .2 cents

375+ and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    #16 BOKE, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    I am of the opinion that the market is soft for the 20-year-old Ferraris with a few exceptions because of a lot of first-time buyers are buying kalifonias.

Ferrari may have hurt the resale value of some models with the abundance of cheap kalifornias floating around. The kalifornias aren't sports cars or GTs but they appear to be cannibalizing the market for both past eight and twelve-cylinder models. Too many folks are passing a lot of great cars that are a little older to go with a daily driver Ferrari that has an automatic transmission. YMMV

I think the 550s and 575Ms will find their place in time, just like the last generation of front-engined twelve-cylinder cars did. As always the best examples will get good prices in time.

ewright and G. Pepper like this.
  17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The 550 is a cool car, but it's not quintessentially Ferrari. I know I know... V12 in the front IS Ferrari. So why does this thread exist? ;)

It exists because a little red 2 door sports car with crazy styling and dramatic air intakes IS the proverbial "Ferrari". When one stops by C+C all the young men come up and take pics. When the 550 comes, nobody bats an eye and the same I-used-drive-a-porsche-928 owner comes out. Nobody notices it or says "what is it?". It's a nice car but the styling isn't dramatic enough, the V12 transaxle GT ISN't mid engine, and people don't buy Ferrari's for cruising down the interstate long distance.

Sorry..

DOWORKFCAR, JimEakin, Zanny1 and 3 others like this.
  18. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think that is a great point. The styling is definitely more sedate and definitely more a car that went under the radar even when new. It's just not a pinup car.

Maybe I'll start looking at TRs while the prices are down as well. I want something I can really enjoy driving but that really knocks your socks off when you see it coming. As you said - the car everyone remembers when they go to cars and coffee and the car I want to sit and stare at in the garage.

I love my Porsche Turbo but I don't consider most Porsches particularly pretty. It's incredible to drive but it's really just another Porsche to most people.

19. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Have you driven a Maranello yet???

Out of my own stupid curiosity, if you can pick up a 458 or an F12 for the same price, which one would interest you and why???

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    3500 550 coupes total. 10k hippie buses the 1st year and they are 60k at the top of their market. So would you pay 90l for a 550? Welll yeahhh!!!!!

BOKE and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Fast forward 10 years ,V12 front engine 2 seater with MT,ohh it's also a Ferrari.Easily double if not treble today's price.

22. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I haven't been able to test drive a 550 yet, no. There aren't too many local to me in Denver. I don't think I'd go for either a 458 or an F12 really - I like rowing gears. :)

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    When I was a boy I owned a v8 midengined ferrari. When I married it was a mondial cabriolet. It was a great wife short trip car. When my daughter came my wife had a new interest...it was back to v8 ferrari. I started to race a v8 ferrari too later crashed it. My daughter aged and wife promised to go ride with me like the old days but wind blown hair wasn't acceptable. In came the argento 550. Something was missing, some excitement but I'm too old for Mid-engine ferraris. So a stunning rosso corsa/tan 97 point 550 is my current ride. For some reason senior citizens are at home in vettes but a 458 would be like wearing a toupe.

Il Tifoso and BOKE like this.
  24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #24 MS250, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    And whose buying that in 10 yrs?

My son is 20 and only know how to drive Stick because of my influence. All his friends wouldn’t know what to do with a car if they saw three pedals.

I got my son an rs3 last year , he hasn’t even looked at the ferrari’s. You think melenium kids are going to be in the market? They call people with long hair ride a Low rider bike “hip” “hipster” we used to call them homeless in my day.

I just don’t see it with any of these cars anymore. Even the big million cars. Those are going to drop large as well. Don’t believe me, go to the car shows and check out how many teenagers are around .... few !

I recommend people buy the cars they love and treats it the same way a new car ... disposable and depreciation.

Sorry to be the grim repear but the signs are showing us differently. And the emerging markets. They all want new .... hence the comment by BOKE with the California. Ferrari is pounding new models in large Amounts globally.

The only thing that’s going to be rare, is people like us that love these older cars for their character and uniqueness. And we will be the only few that can drive them too unfortunately

bruzzifumi and 375+ like this.
  25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    This is exactly why I thing kalifornias are so popular for new Ferrari owners. They are buying a brand, not a sports car. A kali is an easy move for the Porsche PDK drivers to move into a more exclusive brand. I see the kalifornia as a major shift for Ferrari as a Daily Driver friendly, wife approved car. Hell, I think they weigh more than a Maranello too. The current buys want automatic transmissions, power seats, folding hardtops, and fancy stereos. All the things that add weight and detract from what I consider a form over function sports car. They are also a wife approved car from what I have seen in Las Vegas.

As always, YMMV.