Why I drive a 550 (108108). | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why I drive a 550 (108108).

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bart, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey Allan, pass the bong over here when you are done. No way a Diablo will walk over a 575. No way man. The Diablo is a heavy and poor handling car. The 575 would eat it for lunch. Even if you had nitrous.

2. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    A Diablo with nitrous would smoke just about anything on the planet. The 575 would be a speck in the rear view mirror. If you don't believe that, you should really not take any more bong hits.

I can't comment on real world stock vs. stock racing of the 575 vs. Diablo, but it would be a very close race, depending on driver skill. Based on performance tests, the Diablo 6.0 shows better numbers.

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    i highly doubt that an early gen diablo will "smoke" a Ferrari 550

4. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Well guys it seems all of you are pretty tough on their positions.

To break away from that let me tell you why I just love the 550 :

1- I am 6' 4 and frankly a lambo is a no no option (I actually have to crawl out of the car)

2- in real world it is the only driveable supercar when you have to care about visibility and some degree of comfort (yes with the 996 TT)

3- It looks much better than any porsche (and I also own a 993 4S - arguablly the best - purest - useable porsche)

4- Ferrari V-12 with tubi exhaust is among the best, may be not the best but among them

5- who cares about absolute top speed or pure acceleration. We all know life is not a straight line. The 550 may be heavy but still is chunkable. Allan may kill us in accel + top speed but frankly this is child behavior.

6- on track nothing comes close to a single seater anyway so why bother

All in the 550 is a great package that is becoming affordable. For the ultra rich i'd say : buy a McLaren F1 roadcar. For the rest....

5. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    If you are replying to my post, I never said "early gen", I said a "Diablo with nitrous". The previous poster (4re308) indicated that even a nitrous-fed Diablo couldn't keep up with a 575. I rebutted.

Besides, it would be unfair to compare an early gen Diablo to a 550 or a 575. Compare the Diablo 6.0 to the 550/575, then come and talk with us.

6. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Bart & Thibaut,
    Thanks for sharing your insight on 550. I do agree 550 is more practical, but wonderful sports car, maybe asides of 456 series. I don't know anything on 612 yet!

Only lacking point of this car (for some, this can be pros) is the sound. It's so quiet compared w/ 512 or 328. I was told by putting Tubi on 550, the sound resonnate inside a car. I assumed all 12 cylinders have a great sound of 512BB or TR, so it was quite different.

Do you know any quickie to solve this? Am I aksing too much?

I just love the engine & exhaust sound of Ferrari.

Yoshi

7. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Hi Yoshi

I have heard the earlier Tubis for 550 were creating a reasonance. Apparently this was fixed at some stage. I had mine done a few months ago and there is no problem.

Sounds just perfect !

8. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The Maranello is an incredible car. Truely a classic. Didn't the new EVO name it car of the decade or something? Just think, all of the performance (actually it's quicker) of the last V12 car, F12M, in a GT car that's useable everyday...

9. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

i wasnt replying to your post, it dosnt take a genious to realize that a diablo with nitro can kill just about nething.

diablo 6.0 is obviously the faster of the two, but hey the 550 is the more usable car and still wears the prancing horse and yes, thats why EVO voted it the best car of the Decade

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Early model Diablos are actually some of the fastest Diablos available, as they are devoid of all gimmickry, therefore lighter.

In a straightline, the Diablo will walk a 550/575 all day long. A late model will destroy it. On a track, no doubt that a new model 550/575 will have the upper hand, as the early models weakness is its brakes.

In the early 90's i was at Moroso when Car and Driver tested a 91 Diablo VS an F40. The Diablo turned low 12's at right around 120mph. 575's are usually mid 12's @ 115-118mph.

As for a race between my car on nitrous and a 575, this is what it would look like:
    Light turns green, Diablo takes off, 575 owner throws his car in reverse and floors it. Same scenario. It would be an ugly obliteration.

A late model Diablo, SV, 6.0 etc, will eat a 550/575 in any scenario, street or track.

11. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Allan, the early Diablos, are they fairly tempermental and expensive to maintain, as compared to a 512TR, for example. I had a chance to drive on in early 1991 and I remember being impressed with both the power and the sound.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Aslong as the car has its updates performed, they are great cars. I loved my 1992. If it is properly sorted car with a good clutch, it will be much less to maintain than the fcar, as there are no belts to change. They have no ABS, airbags, power steering, adjustable suspension etc, so less weight, and less to break.

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    my friend owned the local lambo dealership untilthe late 80s...he said his cars were "pieces of crap, nothing ever worked right"..he drove a 512bb ferrari thru ou t those years and love it....he still curses if you bring up the name lambo...i have driven 2 diablos inthe past, the last was a 6.o...they were not refind and were not fun to drive for me...the murci is another a story, a beast but still much easier to drive quickly...lets not forget that if audi hadnt stepped in, lambos viablity was in question financially..they were basically a gloried kit car maker compaired to ferrari....

14. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    bart,

no need to convince me! in my opinion, the 550 is the most beautiful machine ever created. i see your in orange county, do you ever go to the crystal cove meetings? i go every now and then, ill be sure to look for your 550.

ernie:)

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Get off the crack buddy. Ive owned many Lambos and Fcars, usually two corresponding to one another during the same time. For example Countach and TR. Now i have the Diablo and the 355. I can tell you without a hint of doubt that Lambos hold up far better than Fcars. Ferraris interiors suck, paint sucks, 355 rattles etc. Diablo is far better put together. Also, ive driven the Diablo for 6 years, and i havent done a thing to it. Fcars are far more maintenence intensive. Even if the Ferrari were as reliable, it would of needed the timing belts changed almost 2X already. Btw, so far the Fcar has been trouble free, except for a leak i spotted from the rear, that magically stopped, and the top that stopped working which i havent looked at since.

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    hey buddy,accusing people of doing drugs is not an intelligent way to argue, but then again i am not suprised!!!also, one example of a355 and a diablo doesnt prove anything, even if we are to believe what you say... i love all exotic and sports cars and i like lambosalso.. there great crs and i may but a murci soon.its just some people start a negative car bashing on this web site that un called for...btw, i never said ferraris were reliable..that would be crazy to think or say...a toyota is reliable!

17. Silver456

Silver456 Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    It has been a debate for years now, and quite frankly they both seem to be different animals. They are both superb cars. However, I would like to see a modern 512TR, that would me a more fair comparison to the Diablo.

18. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thibaut,
    thanks for the info. I would love to hear how your car sound. The one I tried out didn't have a sound that I was expecting. 512TR w/out any modification sounded better. Then again mid-ship 12 cylinder & front engine 12 cylinder should sound very different.

I love that throaty, deep tone, madly sound.

Yoshi

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Oh boy. Im not actually accusing anyone of doing drugs. Its a just a phrase.

I am also not using one example of one Lamborghini and 1 Ferrari, but several examples of both just from my own experience, and also several others.

20. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I'll take you in my 240Z. At 430hp at half your wt, I'll take you.

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    cool a savannah member!, welcome to fchat, sent ya a PM, michael

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ill take that bet.

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Allan
    I see a lot of posts from you about how quick your Lambo is, but do you have any timelsips? I'm sure it is quick, but I'd love to see exactly how quick it really is.

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Actually, 1 drag strip run 10.98@133 kicked off the dragstrip, No rollcage. Thats spinning 1-2 and 3rd down the track. Somewhere i may have the timeslip, but i doubt it, it was many years ago.

I know, i know, an E55 could beat that.

25. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Allan, that 10.9 was with the full 150 shot? I think on just motor any Nissan Z will be just as good as dead....430 rwhp isnt going to bring you well into the 11's, never mind the 10's....