Why I drive a 550 (108108). | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why I drive a 550 (108108).

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bart, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #76 allanlambo, Mar 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Allan, wasn't this the guy (Stephens) who was quoting C&D Tuner tests and selectively picking information out about a Renntech SL55? I seem to remember I pulled my issue out and posted the correct information. I think the thread was about Rob Ferretti racing a E55. After I posted I don't seem to remember him having a response, he seemed to believe that the SL55 with Modifications was almost as fast as TT427 Ligenfelter Corvette.

Thank god you can scan the proof instead of making B.S. statements like someother jokers on this site.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, same a$$clown.

4. ElTorrente

ElTorrente Rookie

Mar 11, 2004
    I distinctly remember that issue of Road and Track. I read that article over and over and over (as I did with every fast car test).

In fact, I can remember that it made me want a TR more than a Countach.

There really isn't much point arguing about such things as exact MPH or quarter mile times. At the level of cars we are talking about, the performance is so high that the owners choose (chose) their vehicles on a variety of factors.

Lamborghini and Ferrari have different approaches to their cars. You either prefer one or the other. The performance of both have always been very high, and in terms of pure performance maybe Lamborghinis are overall a little faster.. but that isn't the only reason that people drive these cars (as allanlambo well knows).

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    No proof exept some magazine covers posted here.
    The fact is the SL55 was faster to 300kmh than the Murci. talk about a$$clowns. Any fact that does not fit your preconcieved ideas is neatly dismissed. I seem to remember amongst all the big talking, I was the only one to post time slips and videos to back my claims. Unlike you losers, I race for real, not in Internet forums.
    If you wish to continue in your world of denial, more power to you.
    You mistake me for a Ferrari zealot. I couldn't care less about brand and image. A car just has to be good at what it does. IMO the 550 is a far superior road car to the Diablo and I've actually driven both in anger and believe I have the skills to make the call. A modified 10 yr old Porsche Turbo kicks its butt too.
    Go suck on mumma Ellen's teat fool.

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
  7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Ellen
    Thanks for the link. The conclusion sounds very familiar.
    "VERDICT:
    Each is spectacular in an attractively different way. The reality is that, unless you take these cars to a racetrack, this "performance numbers" argument fades to the level of the Schumacher versus Gordon shouting match. Although the Ferrari isn't quite as quick as the Diablo, it still delivers stellar performance and is confidence-inspiring at hyperlegal speeds. Besides, it's far easier to get in and out of, park, and maneuver in traffic. If you were picking one to drive every day-moderately, or even assertively-the 550 Maranello is the hands-down winner. "
    You purport to be an expert, but in reality have no idea and you're economical with the truth at best.

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    This quote deserves a post of its own;
    "If, however, you're looking for maximum accelerative performance and crave the ego-boost of the Devil's outrageous look, the Lambo is your supercar."

Hmm, who does that remind me of.....................

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Allan,

Do you care for your wife? Does she stir your emotions? Do you smile when you think about her?

Good.

On Topic. What would you do or say if some random internet a$$clown told you that you were wrong for feeling that way?

Just curious.

This thread was started by an avid Ferrari enthusiast who feels just that way about his car. HE IS NOT TO BE JUDGED, simply applauded.

Your whore-jacking of this thread is bullsh!t. I am almost as embarassed for you as I am happy for Bart!

Where is there a magazine cover that disputes that?

DL

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Another example of your lying ass. This was a test between the 996TT and the Diablo. From memory they came to a similar conclusion to Motor Trend. I can't even be bothered to check.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Let it go, man!

DL

12. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    As demonstarted, Ellen you have an inability to win this argument on the facts because you are just plain WRONG.
    The fact that you have now started making up bull**** is just an embarrasment to you.
    This thread is about the 550, not Testarossas or any other Ferrari.
    I, like many others, including respected motoring journalists, feel that the 550 is the better real world car.
    Heck, EVO, whose covers you feature so prominently just voted the 550 as the performance car of the decade, NOT, I repeat, NOT, the Diablo.

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Stephens, you poor little pee-on. If you want to use quotes from these magazines, then i have a few for you. This thread was started on performance as a basis. Remember... you may get me off the line, i will pass you.. speed records etc? So why not add these?:
    Motor Trend which you so gratiously eluded to:
    "Its record-setting 3.4-second 0-60 run was 0.8 second quicker than I managed in the traction-limited Ferrari. In the quarter mile, the Diablo holds the edge 11.8 at 120.9 to the 550's 12.5 at 116.9. We couldn't do handling or stopping distance tests on the Diablo, but I'd wager it would handily top the 550 Maranello's marks for 0.93g lateral acceleration, 68.1 mph in the slalom, and 114 feet for 60-0. "
    "It would be futile for Ferrari drivers to try to make up under braking what they lost to the Diablo in acceleration."

Heres from your Motor magazine
    " In its earlier incarnations the 911 turbo has been almost as savage,vicious and demanding of respect as the Diablo. But this 996 version is a far cry from those days"

"Long may there be a place for cars like the DIablo, because its a stand alone opening night kind of event. Atmosphere, sparkle, crackle and illogical appeal like only one other manufacturer has ever provided. Standing still, its an event, fire it up-event. Hammer it? Yep. Its an event that Porsche owners will never have the chance to comprehend"

Hows those? Hold on. It gets better!
    Evo magazine Diablo vs 550:
    Lets start here:
    "Countach and DIablo consolidated Lamborghinis belief in the midships layout. Ferrari produced two generations of mid engined exotic in response, the BOxer and the Testarossa. THese it has to be said, were not the most dazzling models in Ferraris illustrious histroy."

Oh i really like this one:
    "If you see a 550 in your mirror you pull over....unless your driving a Diablo"

Hmm heres another:
    "Diablos 5.7 v12 beats the Maranellos 5.5 for power, and for aural stimulation too."

Keep reading Stephens.. its going to get better.

"The Diablo was never strapped for straightline speed, but the new SV drills this point home with figures the 550 simply cant hack. The Diablo puts clear blue water between itself and the 550."

"So lets talk involvement aural and physical. Michael Schumacker helped develop the motor. Its a refined surge of power. Too refined if you like your Ferrari music raw and bloody. No finely pitched snorting from the induction, no booming roar. The Ferrari 550 is a car for the 21 Century according to Ferrari boss Luca Montezemolo. Maybe so, but it lessens the drivers emotional bond with the engine, and in a Supercar, thats crucial. THE DIABLO SV"S V12 is arguably THE GREATEST ever to power a production car. It is a machine of tireless energy, astonishing flexibility and shocking sonic presence. The Diablo is a phenomenon-the last of a true warrior breed"

"The DIablo SV comes closer to being a physical expresiion of fury than any other supercar i can think of. Its a driving experience that is breathtaking power..that goes on and on and on. Until your blown away."

Now lets get into handling.

"So compelling and seductive this routine, so easy to repeat in every gear, thats its easy to forget the 530hp it unleashes and arrives att bends too quickly. In an early Diablo this would have been bad. But the new SV now possesses staggeringly powerful brakes and has rid itself of the slightly cumbersome reflexes that tainted previous Diablos. Its feels more incisive, neautral and biddable. It turns in, points, grips and goes."

Lastly:
    "As a supercar to thrill, the DIablo takes it to the cleaners. The Lambo simply offers the more intense, exciting and rewarding driving experience. The wonders of its amazing engine are more enjoyable to plunder and ultimately its chassis delivers greater grip and tighter responses. The DIablo is faster ,harder and more dangerous to know."

As you can clearly see they favored the 550. LOL

Stephens you are a tool. Id like to see proof of your ownership of your Gallardo. I find it appalling that a baffoon could own such an awesome car. You need to be relegated to owning a Mercedes.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Oh and btw, since im lying..i just made up all these quotes. LOL

I havent even gotten to the EVo test of the Diablo/550/360/Zonda/VIper. Neither the 550 or 360 were even close. It came down to the Diablo and ZOnda.. and Diablo won. I have to, ill dig up that article also, as it cleaned everyones clock.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Lastly Stephens, im actually on your side in this arguement. See, i feel if you want a relatively quick car, that is boring to look at, comfortable and daily driveable, you dont buy a 550, you buy a Mercedes.

16. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Ellen
    The facts speak for themselves. The fact that you just spent the last hour and a half digging up references to justify your half assed BS is a laugh.
    Once again you avoid the conclusions and paraphrase quotes on the Lambo strengths. My quote was the cut and paste CONCLUSION from the same Motor trend article that you are quoting. The Lambo has more power SO WHAT.The conclusion stays the same. I'm so sorry I misread the latest EVO, I didn't realise that when they reviewed performance cars of the last decade, when they stated the 550 won, this was actually Ellenwannabe code for the Diablo wins.
    More important to me than any of this is I personally agree with these conclusions from my own experience. I have a ball every time I drive the 550, it is so well balanced, it is a joy to four wheel drift at any and every possible opportunity. Not something I would contemplate in the Lambo.

I am comfortable, but far from wealthy and have the financial security (stupidity) to buy virtually any car that Iwant. I don't have to resort to posting about stroking $200K cheques, as in the link that was kindly posted the other day highlighting your exploits, I go out and race instead. (which is a joke in itself and reflects on you, firstly as being an egotistcal turd and secondly as being a true wannabe because holding a $200K cheque is nothing and certainly not a signifcant boast of wealth as you intended it.) Do you think it is co incidental that you are hated Internationally, this is one of the few forums from which you have not been banned. Personally I find it amusing to see how big a fool you can make of yourself in your on going efforts to show off. ergo the last quote from Motor Trend, which seems to sum you up perfectly. Once again I re-iterate, the image of Lambo owners, which you so capably spread across the Internet, is something that I'd rather not be associated with.
    There is nothing you can post from any car magazine that will change this.

17. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Uh-oh Allen, Stephens seems to think that you're on some international terrorist most wanted list. You better get into the hole they found Saddam in and hide buddy. LOL

I do have a gripe that actually pertains to the thread:

I grow weary of you holier-than-thou 550 disciples casting stones at the Diablo, Murcielago, and Gallardo, because you think their body designs are ego-stroking. Stop allowing yourselves to be programmed by middle aged magazine journalists that think all Lambos are "too flashy" and have no "taste".

I mean really, do you think for one second the average person applies the same logic between Ferrari and Lamborghini as you clowns do, and mag hacks do?

You tell the average Joe that you own a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or other known exotic brand, and the response is going to be the same. They either think you're god, or they think you have a really small wee-wee. That's it. End of discussion

They don't go "Oh, well thank god you own a Ferrari 550, because MAN those Lamborghinis are really too flashy! Hey you seem down to Earth because your 550 looks like a Camaro and the Diablo looks like a Group C racer. Want to go eat?"

Get real. Only journalists that believe in the oldest of the sportscar caste systems (basically that Lambos are wannabe junk while Ferraris are nothing but gold) spout that type of bull$hit. Is the Enzo "too flashy"? No right? Ask yourself why you feel the Enzo isn't over the top, but a Diablo or Murci is.

The answer is because some Ferrari engineer told you the Enzo's looks are purely purposeful, right down to the F1 car nose, so that it can develop a $hitload of downforce at speed because of that exact body shape. Ferrari is smart. They know that since they provided you with that info, it in turn then allows you to rationalize away all the boy-racer crap that's tacked onto that car by Ferrari because they wisely know that no one spends a million bones to have their sportscar look like a 360, or anything that was made on this planet.

See how it works? Ferrari sells you on the tech behind the package, then your mind opens up like it does to an actual F1 car. You fool yourself into thinking that it's form follows its function, which is a complete farce. That car was designed and drawn up LONG before it ever saw a computer model or a wind tunnel.

So you need to stop blaming Lamborghini for doing the same exact thing for 30 years, i.e., designing car bodies that stop hearts, but without a Lambo engineer lecturing you on all the benefits that the "over the top" shape supposedly produces. Lambo knew a long time ago that their cars had better look like they're ready to grid up at Le Mans in order to sell to an audience that can afford anything and everything. This audience wants spaceships, if they want a "car" they can go choose dozens of other $100k+ pedestrian rides.

Both marques have had their hits and their misses. Both marques build some great cars. But lately, say over the past 10 years, one of the marques has sold out and gone mainstream to attract more money, while the other marque got their **** together bigtime and is putting out not just one, but TWO world class sportscars.

I don't care if Fiat owns Ferrari or Audi owns Lambo. This is more journalist caste-system horse$hit bias being rammed down your throat. The bottom line are the cars. Nibblesworth could own Ferrari and we'd all still want the Enzo. All of us except Nibblesworth himself of course. That ****-for-brains would be the owner of Ferrari and would still prefer a pink Mustang convertible.

Anyway, Ferrari could put shields on a pinto and sell it for $200k easily. The marque's branding is that strong. With the possible exception of Bentley, which is a recent fad thanks to today's hip hop artists, Ferrari is the #1 branded marque in the automotive world, without exception.

Because of that brand strength it means that when a 550/575M sells north of $200k, and there's a waiting list to get them (which the factory artifically creates to stroke the egos of sucker-buyers) it doesn't mean that the car is worth a damn compared to a competitor's product that sells without a waiting list, for nearly the same cash, and is easily available (Murci).

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Mako99
    This is one of the first intelligent posts I've had the pleasure to read from you. Even though I prefer the 550, based on personal experience I hear what you are saying and agree with the principal. The latest Lambo's are under rated and dismissed by many of the traditionalists. This all appears to be changing now with the advent of the Gallardo, which is finally getting Lambo the right sort of exposure. People are starting to reconsider the Murci based on this spin off, from what I understand. I would never have considered looking at the Gallardo if it wasn't for the rave reviews it has been getting, based unfairly, I suppose on my previous Diablo VT experience.
    To be fair, Lambo has moved their cars positioning under the stewardship of Audi, making them more user friendly and purposeful, taking away some of the emphasis on presence.
    The Enzo is a great example, I personally find the Maserati version far more appealing. Interestingly EVO agreed indirectly with this phenomenon in their group test of the 288, F50, F40 and Enzo. My interpretation of their conclusion was that the F50 was never given a fair go by journos, themselves included and in hindsight, they believed it to be the best Ferrari of the lot.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Stephanie,
    Again, you fail to grasp reliality. You quote the end paragraph in Motor Trend, which basicly states, buy one of both. My arguement is about performance. Take away the badges, the style everything, only performance stays behind. Everyone of these articles contradicts everything youve said about the performance between the 2. Each one says in CLEAR BOLD PRINT-Diablo is faster, brakes better, handles better. 550 is a better daily driver, no doubt, just like what a daily driver should be..boring bland and slow. Of course the 550 is easier to get out of, of ourse its easier to park, no one bothers you, they think its a Camaro. Like i said previously, if your looking for a daily driver, buy A BENZ!

How come you didnt post anything about proving your Gallardo ownership? How come you try and insist that i only care about straightline performance, but yet you had the balls to ask for advice on putting Nitrous on your supposed 550? I think youve been banging to many Wallabees little pee-boy.

Oh and by the way, dont get too excited thinking i went through great lengths looking for magazine articles for you. I already have them posted on another website... cut and paste for you.

20. fj0

fj0 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mario B
    :popcorn:

where's the popcorn-smiley? :p

21. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #96 allanlambo, Mar 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Ellen
    Is that the best you could come back with?

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Since when should the facts get in the way of a good argument?
    Ellen to be fair, firstly they did not state that the Diablo handled better, but that they were equals on the track, with the Diablo being faster in straight line performance.

Why would I post to prove anything to you? I also own a Ducati race bike, well two of them actually, but do I want to prove it to you?
    www.ipn.com.au/mbworld/ipnduc3.jpg
    I am not the one beating my chest here.

If I prove I am wealthier than you does this make me a better man?

I would love the 550 to handle and feel the way it does, but with the performance of the Murci. Is that wrong? Does this make the Diablo better?

Actually I must apologise, I remembered the old saying "don't throw stones when you live in glass houses."
    I have said plenty of stupid stuff on the Internet myself in the name of "fun", judging you for the same was wrong. An argument should stand on its own merits, without resorting to mud slinging. That is the preserve of politicians.

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Face it Stephens, youve been beaten like a red headed stepchild. Please post proof of ownership on any of your vehicles, including supposed Gallardo.

25. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    After you post your social security number, copies of bank statements, address, DOB and account passwords. Don't be such an idiot.