Why I hate McLaren | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why I hate McLaren

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We get it, you hate McLaren. When you're ready to have an adult discussion about cars I'm happy to resume. I'm a huge fan of Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren. They all make wonderful cars. McLaren is definitely the upstart and they have a more difficult hill to climb which requires them to do things you find distasteful in order to build up their business. I get it. But to say they "charge absurd money" for the lesser-engineered, lower costing, thing Ferrari is selling for more money is completely disingenuous. And as for "smelling of desperation" - how exactly does a company "smell"? They're a business trying to make something for their employees, shareholders and, more importantly, customers. I don't understand your childish hatred for them and I wish you'd just stop doing it because you're polluting a perfectly good conversation about cars.

Gh21631, ScrappyB and BJK like this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ferrari has many different engines and very different configuration cars even for the same engine. Ferrari is not the issue here anyway.

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I wasn’t born to hate mclaren and you definitely love them so the argument is useless. Also again not sure why Ferrari always comes up as a comparison, makes mclaren no favours. And as for desperation they were days from closing their doors a month ago and in not much better position now. Feel free to put me on ignore if you don’t like my comments but BS smells from far

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    @MarkNC, do you know anything about that big private McLaren collection in Chicago with the F1 LM and P1 LM as well as some other important McLaren cars? Apparently that guy's hedge fund went bust during the first quarter market crash and I'm curious if he's had to part away with some of those. Incredible cars altogether...hopefully not broken apart.

Accidentally put this in the T50 thread and had to move it here...

5. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No, not familiar with that.

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Speedtail delivery - (not sure it's first in US)

7. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1000

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    So what? For what purpose, other than to bash McLaren. How about trying constructive criticism based just remotely on facts. That would be welcome. ;)

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Not sure I would want them to change a thing or shut their doors. The entertainment value is too high especially at every special edition reveal. In any case after you tell me why you’re so defensive about them, trying to spin their failures and calling critics names

11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The vast majority of people on this forum are 'car enthusiasts'. You're not.

Boomhauer, atomicskiracer and Gh21631 like this.
  12. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

Igor yes you started the thread for the wrong reason, we understand this is Ferrarchat & you’re a Ferrari fan, in fact the others commenting here I expect are also Ferrari fans, however you let your biases get in the way of healthy discussion & instead condemn everything McLaren.

I’ve owned numerous Ferrari’s, Porsche’s & I’ve just bought my second McLaren, a GT, I as most commenting on this thread can appreciate all well engineered cars that are rewarding to drive, after all, I thought that’s what this & other car forums are about, sharing healthy discussion & constructive criticism, not just biased condemnation.

You obviously have never driven a McLaren or you wouldn’t be so negative about them. I just bought a GT after demoing one for 4 days, I wanted another car, one more towards the GT class, one that could be used more daily but still drove like a sports car, was very focused, handled well, went hard & was a little more luxurious inside, but not as soft & heavy as a Bentley GT, an Aston Martin DBS or new Roma.

My needs for this car were different & none of the other marques met those needs so well, to sum up its a more refined drive than my 650S, goes as fast point to point on the public roads we have down here as any other super car & looks damn sexy imo. The steering imo in a McLaren is second to none compared to most of the current electro assisted steered cars, the seating position, the pedals to steering wheel adjustment in all McLarens is the best I've experienced in any of my current or previous cars, the carbon tub, overall rigidity & their light weight is what makes them so rewarding to drive.

I appreciate all marques for what they offer, so please Igor don't flame me now :)

galt, Boomhauer, sainthoo and 4 others like this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #114 Igor Ound, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Of course I won’t flame you. That’s a pretty thoughtful reply. Can’t say same about BJ who just makes up his own truths, much like Mclaren’s PR. Apart from beauty, which I’m told is subjective (still think butt-ugly isn’t though), that’s probably what I hate most about the brand, their marketing. If they were more honest and down to earth they could be a very nice little company, but they had to go from day one for Ferrari’s jugular and are now paying the price. There’s still too much arrogance and not admitting to their mistakes (much like Ron Dennis himself), agenda which in turn gets spouted ad nauseam by very condescending and most likely paid British journalists and fanboys. Obviously not all is well and I was right from the start so pardon me a little gloat. Happy you enjoy the cars but really wish they cut their endless BS media propaganda and spend that money on a proper designer instead.

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Why in the hell has this thread changed name? It was never meant for the Mclaren GT

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Keep in mind he has never owned or probably never driven any of the cars discussed. Opinion is meaningless, no substance.

16. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ok, we get your hated of McLaren and you can stop grinding your axe now! It doesn’t matter whether you started this thread or not, FerrariChat is meant to be a respectful forum for ALL of it’s members, and inclusive of friendly discussion of other brands too (hence the various other car sections), not dominated by one member expressing their hatred over and over.

galt, greg328, Gh21631 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Why do you care so much about what a “clown” like me says in a forum? May I suggest you put me on ignore instead of telling me to stop posting as that’s very disrespectful and has been your only contribution to this thread so far. If you can’t stand some criticism of a brand which has obviously some really big problems not really my fault.

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Well then, since you 'started' this thread, do something constructive and hit the 'Report' button and tell moderator to fix it.
    And by the way, it's McLaren, capitol 'L', not Mclaren. But of course, you probably know that.

19. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That's what your first post, which sets the topic of the thread, was about. "Mclaren" is too comprehensive for a single thread and we already have a forum called McLarenChat.

If you want to name it Igor Ound's hate on McLaren thread, I can do that.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Can we do “Mclaren criticism” please?

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Should propose that to the ones who can’t take the criticism here imo. Might find many likeminded users

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That applies to you too.

Boomhauer and Gh21631 like this.
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Fair enough. But although fchat seems to attract them a lot, unfortunately I’m not one of those weirdos who seem to get pleasure from going on to some specific enthusiasts’ forum and criticise the brand until other people get banned. Any chance to rename this thread as “McLaren GT” has nothing to do with it please? Thank you