Why I will never own a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Why I will never own a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by silver02ws6, Oct 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silver02ws6

silver02ws6 Rookie

Sep 4, 2005
    Steel City
    Because I cant even get through one class without thinking about one day walking into my garage and seeing my very own F430, or 360, or 355. God I cant decide, which do I chose, what color do I buy, and then reality sets in. It comes to me that if I don’t pass this class I will not have enough money to own one.

This board has destroyed me. Ever since finding it all I can think about is F-Cars.

austin

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Turn off the computer and hit them books----get a good education and the Ferrari will come!!!!!!!

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #3 GrigioGuy, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    The yacht and helicopter are parked on the other side of the house with the blonde trophy wife I guess...

5. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Perfect picture Tillman!!!!!

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Hmm, actually I have the newer/better one. No camera right now though, so I can't post it.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Austin,
    Nothing wrong with dreaming, but instead of dreaming about material rewards, think about the process. I am not highly educated (high school, some college) but I had an idea, self discipline and a strong work ethic. Now I have some of the spoils, but my life as an entrepeneur was/is much more important than my income. If you are passionate about something, the spoils take care of themselves. Bill Gates is a college dropout.

DAve

8. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    #8 bludevil12, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Google search :)

I actually have this poster though..its pretty cool.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I went to skool til I wus 30 and I stil ain't got no Ferrari.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The version hanging on my wall here is the old school one -- 400i, Jag XJS, BMW 635, Lotus Esprit, and some sorta volkswagen looking thing ;). Copyright 1986

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Austin~

I humbly disagree with turning off the computer, and I will tell you why.

I am 47 just this sunday, HB to me, lol. I loved Ferrari from a very early age, maybe by about 4 or 5 year old, but not until my early teens did I really begin to get enthused. Before I was 17 I had an MGB/GT, and about that time I seen a '63 250 California for sale locally for $10K needing a starter motor. That was 1977, same year my 308 was being built for me. Now $10K was a fortune back then, but nowhere near where it was about to go.

During those Carter years inflation and interest rates took off, along with unemployment, and by 1980, that 250 was probably selling for close to a Million dollars. And it didnt end there. As the 80's progressed, Ferrari's like that continued to climb, into the multimillion range. By 1990, a 250 GTO sold at auction for almost $15million. 308's were selling at times for over $100,000. Well, my car enthusiasm nosedived. I stopped looking at cars, lost interest, stopped reading car magazines, I mean, I was NEVER going to own a Ferrari so who cares?

In '97 I got a computer and got online. By '98 I had found the FerrariList and began once again becoming interested. Low and behold, the bubble had burst, but because I hadnt been looking, I hadnt seen it break back in '92. That $15million GTO dropped below 5mil, and the lesser cars dropped below $100K. Heck, many have climbed back up over $100K, or to several $100K, but the point is, had I kept my wits, I could have gotten into ownership a lot sooner.

Keep you enthusiasm, and watch the market. Dont waste your time worrying about the when, just stay your course, when the time comes you will know. No one will need to tell you, you will just know. Learn Ferrari maintainance, learn the parts sources, learn mechanics so you can love the car as intended, with you doing the work. You need a decent home in a decent neighborhood, with a decent garage, heated preferably if you live in a northern climate. Prepare, and learn, and you will win your prize. I still want a Countach, and Lord willing, maybe someday I will have one. But don't lose any sleep over it guy, just keep putting one foot ahead of the other. Remember that 77 308 the Ferrari built for me in 1977? I didnt take possesion of it until June of 2004. I guess it just needed 27 years of roadtesting before I could have it.

12. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Funny that education won't necessary get you everything unless you know how to make use of it to make money for you. Austin, You have passion for Ferrari; keep that alive because that will drive you to it. Education can definitly get you salary job but not many salary jobs can get you the house, the family, the enviroment, the car and the Ferrari. But I can guarantee you that passion will get you there... So, keep the computer turn on, keep the poster on the wall, keep up with school, hit on the girls......... but most importantly... keep your priority stright. then, come back to tell us about your Ferrari.

13. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Be smart, good education never hurts!

14. MrScarface

MrScarface Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 8, 2005
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Funny thing is, the two people I know who own Fcars, neither of them went to college. They got jobs, saved some money and started thier own business. My brother and sister both have Masters degrees. Both make crappy pay, and hate their jobs and slave away every day working for the man.

15. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    I agree 100%.
    My college major has absolutely no relation to my business. If you have a passion for something, stick with it and work on being the best at it. Sucess will follow.

16. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Funny poster - enough money to buy all those fancy cars, but not enough money to build a garage that fits..... :)

17. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Of the wealthiest 200 people in Australia, less than 50% went to university.

- BRW Magazine, 2004

18. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    If you REALLY want a Ferrari... you WILL have one sooner or later :)
    At least, that's what I keep telling myself! :D One day it'll happen!
    You just have to keep focused... but also life your life and be smart!
    Education can be a big help of course, but passion is more important when it comes to this. A bit of patience can be helpful too sometimes :D And what about some luck?

BTW, that poster, great! But I would like to have my cars closer to the house and the Porsche, Mercedes, Viper, BMW,... replaced by Ferrari's! :D

19. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    At least you can fall back on your degree if your business is not successful and earn a living!
    i know a lot of successful peolple do not have degrees but they are minorities just imagine how many that failed!

20. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    So that's 100 wealthiest don't have a degree then but out of what?
    May be 100 out of a few millions?

21. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Exactly. The link between education and income is well-documented. Rolling the dice based on the performance of a few outliers is a mistake.

It's possible you may end up in a position where extra education doesn't really help, but I can't imagine it hurting.

22. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    People who start out to earn money, solely to do so, usually don't. If you don't like what you're doing, you'll have trouble, won't work as hard, and probably will fail. People do well, make lots of money when they're doing things that they enjoy.

You can get an education, do something that you enjoy, or if you truly think you've got a good idea, bypass school, and start your business. Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs come to mind. Neither finished school, but both did ok, as did Larry Ellison, who also didn't finish college.

Art

23. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Austin, Dave is right... i know i don't have the wealth (right now), but i dropped out of college and, a few years later, found something i love... i don't drive to and from work in a Ferrari (yet), but i will some day... But until then, i'm really enjoying what i do from day to day and my job brings me to some really cool places and i get to meet some really awesome people...

i'm not saying you should drop out of college; if you can make it through, you're a better man than i... So hang in there and your day will come - sooner than mine, that's for sure... But cherish all of the knowledge and wisdom outside of financial gain that comes with going to college... Good luck...

24. silver02ws6

silver02ws6 Rookie

Sep 4, 2005
    Steel City
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I realize the smart thing to do is stick with it since I am so close to finishing. It just sometimes seems to be a waste of energy, I feel as if though I could be out there somewhere making money or at least being happy. I have high ambitions for myself one day. Its just as of now I have no clue what direction I want to go, lots of ideas just not enough nerve I guess.

Austin

25. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Austin,
    In life and to many prospective employers (working for someone else is where many learn the building blocks of doing business) it is quite important to finish your education and or projects, simply to demonstrate that you can complete the endeavor. Money does not = happiness, but it can help a lot.

I would think that you have time to figure out what it is that you want to try. Many successful people didn't do it on their first try. Perseverence and determination are the keys. Have a goal and commit to attaining it, AIM HIGH.

Bill