Why is FChat So Effing Slow? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why is FChat So Effing Slow?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Ferraridoc, Mar 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Everything Speedy said CAN'T bugger the PC .... trust me, I'm a doctor :p

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  3. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    That was a whole lot of I don't know what I'm talking about. :p

Your computer has a local database of DNS entries which it checks every time you type an address (to speed everything up). Sometimes the entries become invalid/corrupt and the only way to fix it is to flush/delete them.

I worked Helpdesk @ multiple ISPs when Dialup was still a thing, these are the fixes and being on NBN doesn't change how the internet works.

Of course you can run Windows with 4Gb of Ram.

Minimum spec is 2Gb for 64bit.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements

You do these things when you have PROBLEMS. you don't need to clean cache or flush dns if it's working properly :rolleyes:

I know lots of paper engineers with CCNA's and CCIE's who barely know how windows works. Means nothing :p

I used to guide 90yr olds on the phone, its not hard or scary if you follow the directions :p

You're not "dicking around" you are typing in the correct commands.

Dicking around would be typing in ipconfig /? and trying all the options :p
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MonsterCro

MonsterCro Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well that's good to know I don't what I'm talking about. I'm sleeping good tonight knowing that info :D. You had me worried there at one stage

knocker and SPEEDCORE like this.
  6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    BTW formatting and reinstalling Windows is another popular way of fixing problems ;)

And Patrick if you really really want I can remote access your PC via teamviewer and do everything for you that's an option too but at the same time the troubleshooting I have given is basic so you should be able to manage :p

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

7. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So you taught PP how to use the internet?

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OLIO and STFU

FazzerPorscheman likes this.
  9. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  10. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Only for troubleshooting internet, I'm sure you're an expert at other things :p

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    DNS is a domain name resolver which is a table of URL names like www.ferrarichat.com , possibly, and resolving it to a number :

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: ferrarichat.com
    Address: 184.173.106.34
    Aliases: www.ferrarichat.com

The resolving of the name is not the problem because he can get onto it, and yes it may be local and corrupt but if it was he wouldn't be able to get to it without knowing the IP address

Spoken like a true helpdesk person from the dialup days, still got your script for initialising the modems , FFS I hated that comeback but it is true that NBN doesn't change anything .... except for the specified VDSL modems required to talk to them via DSL
    I am NOT a paper engineer, I do security, wireless, VLAN, voice and data networks on a daily basis and getting to the internet is ubiquitous for me, Windows is just one of the POS OS's hanging off my network. I know how the ****ing thing works but I do think you have a better idea as I have little interest in sorting POS out, been there done that on MANY types of unix, VMS, MVS, etc mainframes.

I apply the practices of maintaining mainframes to these crappy PCs and all seems to be fine to me, but then I'm just your average dumb Cisco engineer :rolleyes:

The standard Windows support answer is to reboot the ****ing PC or to reload the OS and start from scratch ..... a properly setup Windows PC will run for many years with NO blue screens (bought my old PC in 2010 and only put an extra 2GB in to help it)

If you don't go to dodgy sites and install the updates as required these stupid machines work fine but keeping them uncluttered is just good housekeeping

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    BTW Speedy, I'll be @Eurobay on Sunday morning , hopefully in the 355 if you want to catch up for brekkie :)

We can settle this internet thing with laptops at 10 paces :p

FazzerPorscheman likes this.
  13. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It can still slow your internet down FFS. I had the exact same problem 2 ****ing weeks ago on a brand new Win10 install.

I know you're not a paper engineering, I just having a joke :p FFS relax :p

Lol the amount of ppl that got upset when i gave them super easy fixes :p

14. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Sure :) but the last thing I wanna talk about is internet :p

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm just upset with Telstra and the IoT offering I'm implementing .... bureaucracy at it's best :mad:

Six months to get a fibre cable into my data centre !!!

And some people biatch about a couple of weeks to get a line put into their house o_Oo_O

16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    My mate is an engineer @ Telstra that amount of dodgy **** he has told me... but lets leave that offline :p

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    One of my mates is a high level network tech there too

He gets frustrated too

18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I'm on 'old' blue look; main problem is log in - it jumps all over the place but everything is definitely slower these days.

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    What's old blue ?

IBM PC ?

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Brave transformed the speed that the pages load in.

I haven't workout out how to install the blocker.

None of the cmd things made any difference.

21. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    The old style Fchat look - it's blue instead of grey/red.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I tried the CMD commands offered earlier. I don't think it helped anything and didn't hurt anything either. When running a Display Manager I see that about 1.5GB of ram is used just to run W7. When I load IE it jumps to 2.2GB. It takes about 30 sec to load the first FChat page (last year about 5 seconds). The popup I get if I try to click on a link before the adds load says that IE is running a long script. It isn't until the Ricambi add (first one at the top) and the Share This Page twitter and facebook crap at the bottom loads until I can select a forum. The memory usage will then go up and stay up. When an embedded video is on a page it takes a minute or so to load. If several videos then several minutes or I just can't wait and go back. The memory usage will go to over 3GB with 4GB ram installed. Eventually I'll see 0MB free in Display Manager. At that point, I close IE, reopen to the same page with the video and memory goes back down to 2GB but rises steadily over the session.

I was thinking maybe installing some more DDR3 memory but don't know if they make it anymore or if it will help. I know IE sucks but have a lot of favorites saved and I've used some of the other browsers a while back (Chrome and Firefox) but they were not what they were cracked up to be. There is something definitely going on with the way W7 and IE works with FChat as the videos play much better if you click and run the embedded videos directly on YouTube. Hats off to you guys that are proficient at this. I had a team of 40 engineers that were CCNAs and all and I just gave them my PCs and they fixed things right up. Since I'm no longer the guy running the place (quit last fall) I'm thinking I should have listened up a lot more.

Other data is that over wireless the bandwidth goes from 97MBps to 107MBps which I think I saw in the Network and Sharing Center or some other W7 service. My video card shares memory with main memory (Intel HD Graphics 3000). The Intel Core I5-2430M processor looks like a dual core but Display Manager shows real time graphed performance for four windows. I don't have anything else using CPU when browsing. I can't see any twitter videos as it says IE not supported. There was a big W7 security patch about a week ago that I thought might help but still no bueno. Always running the OLD FChat version.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

FWIW I just installed Brave and it imported all my IE bookmarks. Slow Fchat problem solved

24. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    TLDR

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jmillard308 and FazzerPorscheman like this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What is the Story with being paid in bitcoin for viewing ads or substituting adds of their own later? Is this a secure road to go down?