Why is FChat So Effing Slow? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Why is FChat So Effing Slow?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Ferraridoc, Mar 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thanks usually my line! Bottom line - the CMD commands had no effect on speed. The rest can be parsed through.

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No idea what you're talking about. Is this something you found in brave?

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    So is my mate actually. Maybe it's the same guy :p
    It's built into the browser. The little lion icon the right of the url bar you can turn the shields off and on. Some site will require you to turn some of the settings off.

The adblocker Moretti and I mentioned is for chrome/firefox etc etc.
    I use that too. I don't like the new look.

You can disable the rewards program. If not sure about it just use firefox/chrome instead.

4. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #129 SPEEDCORE, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    You can still buy DDR3 ram. I did a quick search on newegg and for 8gb (2x4GB) of ddr3 1300 laptop ram comes in at $60. Of course you need to double check your manual to make sure it's compatible.

It might be the ram for your situation as it shouldn't be hitting 0Mb free :) Yeah IE always had issues with scripts.

If you want to try something different before spending money, download ubuntu (linux) you can run that on a usb drive "livecd", it doesn't touch your windows partition and unlike windows you can use the internet straight away.

I use livecd's for data recovery or troubleshooting annoying windows issues.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

5. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #130 kandi, Mar 21, 2019
    The log-in applet is indeed very twitchy. On my personal device I tick "stay logged in" and every next time I can go straight to the forum content. But the bigger underlying issue with slow FChat can be related to browser overloaded with javascript execution or such trivial things like content auto refreshing, polling links, updating stats, and of course fetching and displaying ads.

It is worth a while to do a clean install of another browser, like "Opera" and give it a try. Opera is a clean design browser based on Chromium and has got efficient javascript engine, plus integrated ad-blocker and mining blocker (no need to install additional plugins).

Opera for Windows (link) https://www.opera.com/download?os=windows
    Opera for Mac (link) https://www.opera.com/download?os=mac

6. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Sometimes anti-malware (-crapware) check comes to rescue. It detects and removes also malicious scripts, toolbars, intrusive 'exotic' search engines etc.

AntiMalware download page:
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That's the best one I've found, think it was made by some German firm from memory

The best idea is to run the adblocker uBlock Origin for google chrome, firefox is an unfriendly browser to me

8. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I've had the 'stay logged in' advice before, but I don't WANT to stay logged in... i will try the Opera, thanks.

kandi likes this.
  9. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #134 kandi, Mar 21, 2019
    You're welcome. Have a nice try with a new browser.
    BTW in case of FChat I think that selecting "stay logged in" just means that your credentials are saved in a "cookie" file on your device and when you are reaching the site next time it won't ask you to log-in but read your credentials straight from the "cookie" file and log in automatically. A different name for this would have been "remember me" (on this site), because if I clean "cookies" on my mobile, I have to log in once again, though I didn't log out from FChat.

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Omg

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Haha Haha
    This thread turned out funnier than I thought :p

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    YAW right but I didn't think it would have to be explained :)

13. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #138 kandi, Mar 21, 2019
    UPDATE. Hmm, I could be wrong saying that it only helps you sign-in automatically and doesn't keep you logged in all the time. Sorry for the confusion. The necessity of logging in again after cleaning "cookies" doesn't mean I couldn't see myself as active before I even typed my login again on chat. LOL. That's the funny part of "Stay logged in". Even before you log in to chat e.g. on another device or at work, you are already there (on chat) :D. So I rather prefer just "remember me" (login) option ;).

14. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    LAST UPDATE. :)
    I can finally 100% confirm that: my first guess that "stay logged in" on FChat site works no different to "remember my login" WAS CORRECT :). You won't be seen as logged permanently in chat if you close the browser/page and forget to log out. After ~15mins the server will close your session. (So for about 15mins you will be still visible as online on chat - and that was the main cause of my double confusion yesterday :D)

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm on an antique version of Safari and have absolutely no problems on Fchat. How antique? Even Java refuses to update to something newer.

16. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    I examined "stay logged in" option in FChat and everybody can tick that checkbox at log in and don't have to worry that you will be visible on chat forever if you forget to log out. (despite the option's misleading name)
    More explanation if necessary:

17. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Some people here encountered various compatibility issues when visiting FChat, especially on log in screen, and performance issues when browsing forum contents. I'm just trying to help :)
    From my personal experience: no problems on PC with Opera browser, Opera on mobile - desktop view - no problem, OperaMini on mobile - mobile view - twitchy log in screen for a few seconds. No performance issues with browsing forum. That's all.

18. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #143 SPEEDCORE, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Log in screen has nothing to do with performance issues. All you are doing when clicking "Stay logged in" is extending the cookie session time from the usual 8 hours till expiry to 1 month expiry (time varies from site to site) and the option will also keep extending the expiry date unless you delete that cookie or visit the site after 1 month.

There could be a million reasons why someone is having performance issues. Changing the browser is usually the easiest thing to test but if it's DNS or hardware related it's not going to fix the issue.

Just this week some Australian ISP's decided to become communist China and block some websites, the only way around those blocks is changing the DNS server from your ISP to a public one like https://1.1.1.1/ or using a VPN service or other options like TORS.

These forums are powered by Xenforo which uses PHP (still a popular language even if the programmers here think it's cancer :p ) it's the same language that the previous forums VBulletin used, besides some custom scripts the performance should be the same or much better, a lot of forums have moved to XF for that reason.

I'm still waiting for Patrick to try my suggestions and say that didn't work so we can keep offering new things to try and since he isn't willing to change browser I would suggest he runs ie without addons by typing iexplore.exe -extoff in the run section, those addons could be causing a problem, even your AV software adds things to the browser these days which can cause issues. Moretti can scoff at the idea all he likes but turning the modem off for 10s and rebooting Windows does fix problems :p I just assumed Patrick did those things before starting this thread but if he didn't well Patrick you should turn the PC/modem on and off again o_O:p

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Pat is a Luddite, he'd be lucky to win a game show quiz :p

I'm not saying rebooting doesn't fix things for kids machines (otherwise known as PCs) but those of use that grew up in the industry under mainframe technology and use proper routers and switches KNOW how to make things go fast without resorting to off/on fixes

I work with Luddites that think EVERYTHING can be fixed by off/on and then realise they have a fixed IP and it is conflicting :rolleyes:

BTW Pat, are you still living at the end of a very long ADSL connection ?

That would be high on my priority list for fixing, then purging unused programs, making sure you have adblockers, get away from IE, add max memory and reload a fresh copy of the OS ..... I'll bet we don't hear from you again ........... please don't let us hear from you !!! :p

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I did it speedy.... It didn't help. The new browser did though. Clearly it's partly the browser and partly fchat.

21. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Those are the paper engineers I was making fun of before :p

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Made no difference. Brave is good!

23. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Fair enough. IE is ****. :)

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Turns out it was worth a lot! Thank you. Seamless download of that browser and no more delay to open pages. No ads. Just saved me the hassle of buying a new computer. Slow FChat problems solved indeed.