Why is NSX so fast? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why is NSX so fast?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PatrickShim, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    what does NSX stand for?
    I've never driven one but I do have tested the performance of a V-TEC 4cyl. Honda Engine and it is insanely fast for the price.
    So I guess a V6 mid-engine V-TEC must be world class fast

2. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Regarding the engine thing, your prayers have been answered
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=319284
    and even better since it is a NA engine.
    Now if only honda could put *THAT* in the NSX... :)

Do you think a 500HP NSX with a price tag of $100k-$125k will sell?
    It will be a serious competitor to the much more expensive F430, the heavier 4wd Gallardo or 996TT and it will make the supercar market hot again.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yoshi-san:

Most of the Japanese companies are on pretty regular production cycles for large volume cars. The business model works, minor changes to keep them fresh and still making enough to justify the tooling costs.

I can't really comment more on the NSX, but the fans need not worry about it.

Plenty of Honda engineers have been over to my house in the USA to drink sake (the cold stuff, because even this guyjin knows how to choose it properly) and go look at the cars in my garage. Good group of people and some really good friends. Sportcar fans need not worry about the future.

Erik

4. imsten.com

imsten.com Rookie

Mar 28, 2005
    MIZZOU-RAH
    yeah i've had a couple NSX's

i'm used to the snapping power of
    Turbo Supras (i've had 7 or 8 of them)

mine now has 500HP (single turbo)

most of the others had bolt ons and 400-430HP or so...

WHY would the 348 not please me?

handling?
    power?
    styling too dated inside and out.

i REALLY like the 348 - but if i've had a few DECENT sports cars (nsx and supra's) i might NOT get the 348 if it's not heads above them

5. lotga

lotga Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Richmond, B.C.
    New Sportscar eXperimental. Hope that helps :).

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    :) Great news.

7. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Another point not yet made is how much pride goes into a NSX. They are hand made (still right?) and very well engineered. To be able to be apart of the NSX build team, one had to be chosen. They couldn't even apply for the position, it was offered to those that were extremely respected at Honda and had been there for a while. It is an honor to help build an NSX in Japan. They take huge amounts of pride building them. That has to be respected.
    I do agree that the NSX is do for a real good redesign. With at least 120 more HP and still all motor. I personally would love to see the body stay close to the same though. Much like Porsche did with the new 911 and Boxster. All new but with the same lines as before. I love the NSX look. It is timeless.

And yes the NSX was designed to compete with pretty much only Ferrari. It was being designed well before all that one listed.
    "Ferrari exclusivity and performance with reliability of a Honda."

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    the nsx was a real wake up call for Ferrari, didnt it run circles around a 348?

9. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    If you hate quirks stay the he!! away from the 348, and a window problem on 91/92's or a stereo is nothing compared to blown manifolds on the 355. Face it, Ferrari does an awful job with realibility, it's an embarassment!!! That said get a Ferrari and keep the NSX, that' what I plan to do, or a Diablo 6.0 with the NSX. But, the NSX was so much better developed and designed than ANY car in history (minus the F1) that it still holds it own pretty well after 15 years with no major changes....unlike every 5 with Ferrari or every 2 or 3 with Porshes and Vettes. Make it right the first time and LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....that is all.

10. imsten.com

imsten.com Rookie

Mar 28, 2005
    MIZZOU-RAH
    hmm

since i'm not LOADED (money wise)

maybe the ferrari should definately wait
    SEVERAL years until i have money to blow should
    something go wrong.

maybe for now i should stick with

NSX's and other cars that are semi-exotic

but not nearly as nice at a lotus, porsche or ferrari...

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Eric-san,
    Thanks for you information. I know you can't say much here but I appreciate it.

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh please. I suppose a Cayanne and a boxster are exotic? A lotus has been described as a well made kit car. Yes they are fast, but they are no more exotic than a NSX. Having driven a 89 SE, I can tell you it it no where near as nice as a NSX. The V8TT should be a lot better, but I have not had the chance to drive one. A ferrari, well, yes, they are a class above in stature. But, again, unless you are talking about a 360 and up, you are not going to see much peformance wise over a NSX. A 355 is a little faster than a 97 NSX in the 1/4. It is a lot faster to 150MPH, but how often do you hit 150? On a track, they are nearly identical.

13. imsten.com

imsten.com Rookie

Mar 28, 2005
    MIZZOU-RAH
    i was referring to a
    Turbo Porsche and
    a V8TT Lotus Esprit

:0

no a boxter isn't exotic ;)

14. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    The "phat phives" seriously hamper the cars sexy appeal, and does make it look aged. The stock wheels might have been great back then, but look pretty cheap now. With a set of modern wheels, or even the BBS NSX-R wheels makes the car look strikingly modern.

So what's RSX and CRX stand for? I noticed Honda likes their three letter names.

Yes.

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I still think a NSX is just as exotic as a V8TT. It is not as fast, but the build quality is much better from what I understand. I think the refresh of the 2002 NSX also makes it look not as dated as a Lotus. Nonetheless, I would love to drive one someday and see what it is all about.

I would agree that a NSX is not as exotic as a 911 turbo. The problem is that the 911 turbo looks pretty damn close to all the other 911's - which are all over the place. Most non-enthusiast would never know the difference.

With the NSX, they are very rare and look like a sportscar should. Classic wedge design. People often don't know what it is, but they know it is special.

16. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've own a NSX, Porsche 964, Ferrari 348 & Lotus Esprit Turbo, in order of quickness I rank the following:

Porsche 964 (modified)
    Ferrari 348
    Acura NSX (tied)
    Lotus Esprit Turbo (tied)

Nsx is only fast in a vacum, compare to other supercars it's just ok. It has better low end torque compared to the Lptus but when the boost came on it kept up and outpull the NSX.

The personally prefer the Porsche and Ferrari over the NSX becuase it does not feel as solid as the other two and still feels like an Acura.

There are others who will disagree, but then I doubt they are speaking from first hand ownership experience.

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    actually a nsx is more exotic than a 996 tt, which looks almost like any other 996 and doesnt turn heads at all...evening driving a 996tt is not exotic...normal car driving position, quiet inside, slight numb steering that comes with the 4wheel drive... plus i see 10 996tt s for every nsx...

18. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I love how the TR and 355 are "classic", beautiful, ageless, and considered the best of Ferrari, while the NSX is just "dated" .........sigh

Now if there was a prancing horse on the hood I wonder what you all would be saying.

19. lotga

lotga Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Richmond, B.C.
    CRX stands for Civic Renaissance, Model X. I don't know about RSX though, perhaps someone can chime in on this one?

20. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I would say it was a classic that can not age. Im honest and definitely recognize my bias...

However, I guess its tie to the cheap everyday cars does that to me. Granted one can argue about Fiat/Ferrari but I do not remember an Asian car to the likes of the older GTO or TR, 250 LM, Daytona, F50, or now Enzo. And when I think of Ferrari I definitely think of F1 and racing and that their cars are offshoots that garner the most prestigous racing. Sure the Honda and Senna era were one in a million, but there is something so much more classic and untouchable with Hill in a Sharknose, Monaco royalty drooling over cars, GV and his relationship with Enzo. That classic racing mentality, ( which is what Ferrari is all about and the road cars are only second, ) warps my view of the Maranello roadcars.

I feel fine stating the NSX is historical and should be noted so. This is large part due to its effort to be a competitor to 328/348s and its striking appearance. But to compare to cars today in performance and looks? I'll pass.

RocketBoy

21. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When the NSX was introduced it was a better car than either the 328 or 348. When the 355 was introduced, it was faster and better looking than the NSX. So Honda responded with the 97 NSX with a power upgrade that allowed it to be competitive with the 355. Since then, Ferrari made the 360, 360CS and now F430 and Honda basically hasn't changed a thing. The 2002 refresh updated the look slightly, but performance is still on par with a 97 model. I still love my NSX, but Ferrari has left them in the dust in both styling and performance. It is time for a new NSX.

22. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    RSX= Really Slow Xcelleration? ;)

Just razzin' ya Honda goons, RSX is a nice car.

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004

LOL, can you tell us what TSX stands for?

24. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    For the last generation of these:
    CL= Complete Loser
    TL= Total Loser
    RL= Real Loser

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Honestly, the TL/CL has the most confortable seats I have ever sat in in any car. Not bad for the money (IMO).