Why is the (pre T) California considered bad? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why is the (pre T) California considered bad?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by OmbryAmbry, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that being said when the California was mentioned to me as a candidate for purchase it took me a little bit to come around to it. But to be fair ferrari in my mind looks like the 308, 355, 360, ect so to wrap my mind around a GT car took a while. Interestingly enough I was on the fence about the granturismo too but have since come around.

To me both iterations of the California , the California and the T variant, are both decent looking cars and are just different enough to appeal to different audiences. My wife prefers the T while I’d be happy with either since I like different things about each car, but I’d probably be just as happy with a Granturismo with the exception of the performance differences probably being my only gripewhich the granturismo makes up for in other areas.

And while the 458/488 are much more comfortable and roomy then the 360 and 430 I found I still didn’t like how low you sit, which the California and t I never experienced that. And for the money entry into a California is relatively cheap for Ferrari with several examples under 100k which to my mind is a bargain for a modern exotic. And other then the 2 main , and major, possible issues relatively easy to maintain though as these cars get older we will find out what other parts will need attention.

I’ve said it before, but I think that the California gets most of its hate because it doesn’t have a v-12, and if it did have and retained the hard top convertible option I believe we would all be have very different discussions. And I think given that all Ferrari’s have certain quirks the top and DCT issues would have been chalked up to the “Ferrari” experience. Also given that they sold more California’s then any other model you can’t deny it was at least succesful for Ferrari. So I still stand by it’s not a bad Ferrari, it’s just not the Ferrari you’d expect.

paulchua likes this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I don't want to piss on anyone's parade. Looks are subjective but the general consensus is that the California isn't really a looker and the market shows that. I'm happy you like your car and I hope you enjoy it. You've selected a few good angles of your car and it looks great. Here's the angle that kills the California for me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Are you referring to second hand market? It is my understanding that the California was Ferrari's best seller of all time.
    T

paulchua likes this.
  4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Yes, the second hand market. I think the California T rectified the looks department but I personally like the na engine more.

tomc likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The premise of your question is false.

You said you understand three things that you seem to feel are invalidating components, and I do not.

What does "It's a women's Ferrari" really mean today if not just misogynistic bravado?

You mean the Kardashians required specialized training to drive say a 458 but if it's a California, no?

Is it ugly? Get used to it if you drive an exotic. Just peruse any number of car threads, and you'll find no shortage of criticism of any Ferrari aesthetics. Just like any beautiful actress will have her share of detractors from the locker room to an army barracks. Something tells me though that if said actress magically asked for one of the naysayers on a 'date', their tune changes..hmmm?

While I do agree with you that 'tips' are unnecessary, in the long list of styling faux pas, it is on the lower end of the scale and doesn't invalidate the rest of the car as a whole. If it really bothers you, easy to rectify.

What is objective truth is this:

It performs well, it has a sweet exhaust note, and it provides a level of comfort and practicality that is prized by many.

All that matters is if you like it.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I just sold my 2010 California. Amazing car. Did everything well and easily used as a DD. Nothing ever broke in 33k miles. Just regular services.

paulchua and crinoid like this.
  7. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The tips are fake? Why, because the exhaust outlet is inside of it instead of welded to it? They did it for sound resonance and ease of color changes I'm sure. The sport exhaust on mine is easily seen if you look into the tip, its inside the tip a couple of inches. Hardly fake. Now If there was 2 outlets and 4 tips then yes, but thats not the case.

paulchua likes this.
  8. Bradley C

Bradley C Rookie

Jan 6, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Bradley C
    #33 Bradley C, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019

Cali T, Bianco Avus over Blu Sterling. Completely blue interior (no black) even on the back of the seats with matching calipers. My wife and I love the color combo. Out of about 400 Californias for sale, only 1% have a blue interior.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raj seth, sqml123, tomc and 7 others like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed.

Not sure if it is for sound resonance, or color - so awesome if that is the case.

I personally like integrated tips, but for the car that does have extra tips, it and I see it very low on the list of faux accouterments, and most importantly, easily remedied if it bothers you that much.

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The exaust tips aren’t attached on the 458 either if I recall don’t know why could be sound resonance as is speculated I just thought it was so the tip didn’t become discolored from heat.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I first thought the California was ugly. I thought the F12 was a stud. I noticed it took a double take for me to identify California vs. F12. I confirmed with dealer and 75% of even Ferrari people that walk through door couldn't tell the difference. I appreciated the California more with that perspective.

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  12. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I can appreciate that. Strangley enough I prefer the first Cali/Cali30 to the Cali T, I believe it will age better over time. It has very sexy lines and is more of a theatrical experience with exhaust and lowered. BAM goes the shifts! Good fun.

rob lay likes this.
  13. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    The newer GranThrismo 2013+ had much better interior at least the MC vesrsion
    I actually prefer the looks of the GT over the CalI. The Cali is a better car overall than the GT.

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The original Cali/Cali30 employ the traditional Ferrari looks and design cues from the 599 and older V12 cars. The CaliT takes its design cues from the F12... and so on.

Personally-speaking, I prefer the older design cues as they are more uniquely Ferrari and Pininfarina, whereas the newer design themes are not and have connections with other contemporary car brands. The newer cars lost some of the unique Ferrari look and feel, as they follow modern design cues that everyone else are also following. There illustrates an advantage to using iconic retro design that a brand owns because if it does it, it is nostalgic and romantic; if other people copy someone else's retro design, it looks tacky. To create a look that ages well means you are perceived to own the look, hence authenticity. It helps that it is also iconic and the look be perceived to have already taken and held its place for a long time, without anyone else being able to copy it or dilute it.

IMO, a good design looks more interesting as you familiarize yourself with it. When it is based on earlier designs, you will notice and appreciate those details only with time, unless you also have a great deal design experience with those older models. A design that immediately says everything it has to say is not as interesting to live with. It's like seeing intriguing similarities between members of your immediate family with those of celebrated patriarchs or matriarchs in your family tree.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Cali T is an underrated beauty of design. I genuinely believe time will show it to age gracefully and be a classic.

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    And in my humble opinion the California T has the superior interior. If I could have a car with the early California exterior minus the stacked exaust and that had the California T interior and better DCT it would be the perfect car for me.

Federal man likes this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As far as looks, which are subjective, Ive always felt the front end of the First Gen California was the best of the bunch. Lots of 60s styling cues in it which I dig.

The rear however, is a travesty. There is nothing appealing about the rear end of the First Gen California.

The Cali T fixed most of the design problems on the rear end, and the side profile vent, BUT screwed up the front end.

Just my $.02

18. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    to the OP of this thread, test drive a Pre Cali-T if you can -
    California models...now it is a few years old and perhaps slightly dated -but they are very good cars for daily use.
    will they get you attention --arghh not really, you might get a look here and there but certainly not the attention from the race-bred 458s/488s etc.

If you are look for a comfortable GT ...and the Ferrari badge this is the car to have...
    The Cali-T is definite refinement as is with all newer models- and PT will be an upgrade on the Cali-T.

I suggest you take California for a ride and then make your decision. Perhaps it lacks all the Ferrari exotic looks, but in my opinion from my Ferrari experience it has the last of the roughed, unpolished F430 feel to it whilst driving :) ....
    Cali-T onwards Ferrari made serious improvements to compete in GT category with SLs, Aston etc.

Anyway my $.10 ;)

anunakki likes this.
  19. get a hamman kit on a cali, and wheels, everything changes

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Other may disagree, but IMO not for the better:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    At high speeds, air pressure can build in the wheelwells, creating lift, which is not a good thing. Ferrari's solution to this was to put a vent in the back of the wheelwell to expel that pressure, eliminating the possibility of the car's rear end getting light while playing in the triple-digit zone. The traditional side-by-side design did not work as well at relieving that pressure buildup. ~Motortrend

4th_gear and Federal man like this.
  22. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I didn’t know that.... learn something new every day. But from my personal visual taste the stacked exaust doesn’t look as good but if your inside the car you can’t see it anyway. I’d rather have safety over aesthetics any day.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO, side-by-side double exhaust tips is an UNREMARKABLE conventional layout - everyone in the car industry has used that on one occasion or another, for far too long already. It's boring. Much more expensive and more recent designs like the ones on my 675LT and the 458 Speciale, 488 GTB no longer use that layout because it IS boring. Those cars use a pair of larger single tips mounted closer to the centre. Similar ideas are employed with the Porsche 911 RS cars,.

The stacked twin exhaust tip layout on the NA Cali is quite unique and IMO the best implemented version of this layout. People who are after a conventional look often don't understand the design but stacked tips present a much more aggressive and interesting side view of 2 exhaust tips, instead of 1, like on many very conventional cars.

As for the rear of the Calis. Many people got brainwashed by low-IQ journos who spend less time thinking than flapping their lips in self-promotional videos. ALL good-looking muscle cars have large rear haunches and the need to stow metal roof panels while still providing trunk space also means you don't do away with the muscle-car haunches. Journos say stupid things. You can check for yourself in the photo comparisons of standard Calis I have attached below.

If you look, you can tell the rear lip of the CaliT is actually sloping down too much. The higher, more abrupt transition of the horizontal to vertical surfaces on the older Cali trunk lid increases the effects of a Kamm tail aerodynamic effect. The more tear-drop shape of the CaliT reduces turbulence which is great if you want to be a super quiet submarine but for improved traction on a performance car, this reduces downforce. It's the turbulence which enhances the air pressure differential needed to accentuate the upside-down air foil downforce effect of a Kamm tail.

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bradley C likes this.
  25. totally agree. the stacked exhaust on the cali is the best thing about it. I think its the rear indicators that could use help