Why must smokers toss butts out the window? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why must smokers toss butts out the window?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by pots, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I guess I should chill out. Because nothing really matters.

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Please read post 47.

3. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    My fault mate, one of them days.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    No problem, but when will the UK stop calling cigarettes '***s'? :)

5. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    LOL never thought of it that way, i suppose we will be made to call them something politically correct, like butts.

6. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    OK..I did some '***' research:

So for the American readers the origin of the word "***" may have something to do with another use of the word "***got" which was applied to firewood. Atomica (Online Dictionary) says a "***ot" can apply to a bundle of twigs or sticks. I don't know, but maybe a smouldering stick taken from a fire bears enough resemblance to a cigarette for an analogy to catch on?

Now an interesting aside. During World War One a popular song was "Pack Up Your Troubles" and one of the verses went "While you've a Lucifer to light your ***, smile boys that's the style". Lucifer was a brand of match by the way. Whatever the origin of this song, the American version had totally different words. This leads me to think that the origins of "***" had split up between the countries even before WW1.

There's even more confusion to come so just in case any Brits think I've forgotten I'll just mention here that there is a type of spicy meatball also called a ***got. If you see any in British supermarkets they're likely to be "Frozen ***gots" so I don't want anyone to think that the British treatment for gay men is to grind them up and use them for food... We only do that to American tourists who can't pronounce the word "Tomato" properly