News

Why no love for the 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by OmbryAmbry, Apr 12, 2019 at 1:25 PM.

1. F612

F612 Karting

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Please explain the "colored lamps" you are talking about.

2. randkin

randkin Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    A Mustang they both have a horse as a emblem. :D

3. randkin

randkin Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The head lamps are colored. Look at post #24.

4. Diny

Diny Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    They just ask what it is. Until they see the prancing horse. We know that it looks like a Ferrari but it's not universally recognizable in its design like its counterparts. It doesn't concern me, though. I think it's an elegant car that's also sexy as hell.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

599_GTO and Robb like this.
  5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie

May 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The 612 has the Ferrari 4 seater stigma, that's all. It's a beautiful machine.

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  6. F612

F612 Karting

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
  7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The FF is the 2+2 getting no love right now. Currently, low miles OTO 612's are higher than similar early FF's. Been watching 2+2's since the GTC/4 and never seen anything like it.

Makuono likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's possible to convert them to manual. I know a place here in town that converted a 430 Scuderia with fantastic results. They say the 612 would be a lot easier.

If I don't like the F1/a, that's my backup plan.

9. RonH

RonH Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    George, I think the lack of love of the FF is because of the shooting brake design. I have never liked the look since the MGB through the BMW Z3 and others probably feel the same way. The 612 has much more of a classic timeless look. I suspect long term the 612 will ultimately retain higher values than the FF.

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I debated (and drove different cars) for a year before I chose my 2008 just pre OTO versus a manual .

The HGTC package and Bose dual DIN were key: CCM brakes, Handling GT, and Challenge wheels makes for a much better car overall. I didn't like the two tone effect of the OTO and I didn't want a black car ( for example MRY's black OTO is magnificent)

A manual conversion is appealing but honestly my 2008 is a much better car than the early manuals.

MRY likes this.
  11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    As regards the FF, my wife isn't much into cars but she has a good eye for design. I casually pointed out an FF a few years back and she said "That's a Ferrari ? It looks like a bread van. No thanks."

Practical yes, AWD yes, fast yes, but fugly to me.

MRY likes this.
  12. donv

donv F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I imagine doing a manual conversion on a pre-OTO 612 wouldn't be too bad... in fact, I believe if you search there is a thread on here somewhere about somebody doing just that. I think it would be much, much harder on an OTO, since there was never a manual version of the OTO at all.

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's a good point, I'll have to look into it. I actually like the earlier cars because I don't want CC brakes or a panoramic roof.

It's a touring car to me, so I don't even care if it has a handling package.

14. F612

F612 Karting

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    The panoramic roof is good or bad as a matter of taste. I like mine.

Unless you have experienced to transformation in "feeling and grip" when you switch the mannetino to "sport", you just don't understand. It becomes a true , hard core sports car. Turn it off and cruise to dinner.

The CC brakes will last longer than I will and leave no dust. You will not wear them out, just don't break them.

MRY likes this.
  15. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Parts Department
    #40 Continental AutoSports, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    I'm late to the party but if I may...

I cut my "parts" teeth on the 360, F430, and 612 respectively so I'm a bit biased, however the 612 is considerably underappreciated. I love their styling, albeit now it seems a bit dated, but the side profile is as solid as anything at the time. Regardless, the 612 is by far my favorite 2+2 and doesn't get nearly enough respect within the community as a solid work of art.
    [​IMG]

MRY, randkin, cgt000 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bas Jaski

Bas Jaski Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I like them quite a bit but my preference is FF (thought certainly out of warranty a 612 is a much more wiser choice). I can understand why people don't like them as they are a bit of an acquired taste. Not for me, I've been a fan since day 1

17. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    NY
    Cannot get enough of mine. Owning a bunch of garage queens, I really appreciate the ride, power and handling of this car. Not to mention the exhaust that is soooo loud. Louder than my Barchetta with Tubi.