Why no love for the 612? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why no love for the 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by OmbryAmbry, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #51 paulchua, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    something tells me he will.

I mean he could save us some time, and just do it all at once. (Along with the FF) he could also start the "why no love for the _______" (412 in that forum, Mondial in that forum, 348 in that forum, the GT4 in the 308/328 forum, the 330 GT Series 1 in the vintage forum, etc)

..hope you're right though.

RonH likes this.
  2. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Doesn’t matter to me what people think about the 612, it is all about what I think. I actually got rid of my 2016 Mercedes S Class coupe today and elevated my 612 to my sole daily driver. IMHO the S Class just was not as enjoyable as the 612 to drive nor was it as good looking.

Today my life is shorter than it was yesterday and why waste your time driving anything but the best.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #53 paulchua, Apr 20, 2019
    It was already 3 years old when the F355 came out, yet it was only 1 second behind on Fiorano.

Guess a 1:35 = Non-Performance Car & a 1:34 = Performance car circa 1992.

:rolleyes:

4. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    The 330 GT 2+2 is a 50+ year old four seater that still has all the appeal of a Ferrari to me. I think HKS479's comments sums it up for most 612 owners.

randkin and paulchua like this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just like asking a mother "Why is your baby so ugly?" Most folks have the good taste not to say it to the mother's (owners') face. Some, obviously, do not have any taste.

lee-o, randkin, cgt000 and 2 others like this.
  6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #56 randkin, Apr 20, 2019
    Hmmm it is all subjective, I like the rounded rear and not the side view of the long front as much. I would not like a rear trunk spoiler lip either. I prefer rounded to edgy/agressive styling. IMO rounded is classic and edgy/agressive is trendy. :cool:
    Currently edgy/agressive styling is "in" and rounded/classic is "out". Given a few more years I am sure that will change after folks get tired of edgy/agressive just as folks got tired of rounded.

paulchua likes this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    612 is a cool car. I wish the long hood had some sort of crease or vents...

I don’t really have a need for 4 seats these days. If I do, the crew cab 4x4 or Mercedes sedan are very comfortable and practical.

Otherwise, I’m in. Definitely a great buy for the money.

Robb

paulchua likes this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I didn't care for the 612 when I first saw one. BUT, they have grown on me. Maybe I am slow to adopt some things; I didn't like the BMW Z4 to begin with either but it has grown on me over the years. I probably wouldn't buy one because it is just my wife and I so the 599 fits the bill well. When we need to haul more people we use the Lexus. I suspect 612 will be a popular car as the years pass. Maybe not 599 popular but who really knows.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  9. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    As someone has already mentioned, the 612 does not photograph well. It tends to become shapeless. To make matters worse pictures will often be taken with a camera phone which due to its relatively wide angle lenses will tend to distort the proportions further.

I remember the first time I really got a chance to look at one in the fresh I was immediately struck but how much more shapely it was in the flesh.

I think the front end is particularly tricky in this regard. When you look at the car straight on you can see that the wing rise up above the bonnet a lot more than most photographs suggest and wrap around the front headlights. I think this give the front a much broader, deep chested look. This is lost in most photographs.

The only area I think could be improved is the featureless space between the front of the door and the rear of the front wheel arch. This really makes the front look too long. Some kind of vent like on the 550 would have broken this area up a bit and reduced the visual length.

However one must bear in mind that this car is a homage to Sergio Scaglietti. If you look at the Scaglietti designed cars then the 612 starts to make a lot more sense.

View attachment 2696341
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jeremy

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

FFrancucci and Makuono like this.
  10. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    brogenville likes this.
  11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The 612 will always look a bit peculiar because of the long, long, long wheelbase and the front/mid engine position. The cove also doesn't come out in a lot of pix with cars in solid color paints. This is an exception that I really like.

randkin likes this.
  12. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #62 Makuono, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modena_2003, jehu999, jlaws02 and 2 others like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Reflexions from the sky with clouds and/or trees combined with reflexions from the ground really help to bring out the shapes of cars. The 456M is another that doesn't photograph well in neutral environments. I took these pix with an old iPhone 5c years ago, but the reflexions and the environment made them very dramatic.

randkin and Makuono like this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the bigger challenge wheels do wonders in filling the car out - the car is too big for the smaller wheels IMO

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you actually need the 4 seats, the 612 isn't that great of a choice (except for kids). However, the back seats are nice to have once in a while.

Robb likes this.
  16. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv

paulchua, jehu999 and MRY like this.
  17. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    paulchua likes this.
  18. smashersmith

smashersmith Rookie

Dec 2, 2017
    westcountry uk
    Full Name:
    joe
    No. I love them
    beautiful design, simple neat and without the flashiness of the later models.

FFrancucci, Makuono and G. Pepper like this.
  19. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    This is mine with 599 challenge rims. They do fill the wheel wells nicely. The Golden Elk on the roof is an option that is available only in Florida Massachusetts.

20. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    George, I agree. Here is a picture of my 612 taken by a local event photographer. It almost looks like a painting but it is really an effect caused by the reflection of the clouds at sunrise. One of my favorite pictures of the car.

Modena_2003, m5shiv and G. Pepper like this.
  21. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

Loved and shown, even won a platinum class award in FCA judging....

It’s a simply elegant car and not known by many. Considering it was used as the 60th anniversary model for Ferrari says something. So what if the masses prefer other models?

Aren’t we happy with knowing that we are custodians of our artwork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
  23. FFrancucci

FFrancucci Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Europe
    Full Name:
    FFrancucci
    I agree with Jeremy Clarkson:
    “I feel lucky to have spent so much time with it. Furthermore, I have the sense that I’ve driven a car that gets very close to motoring perfection.”
    So feel I every day. It’s absolutely fantastic, and the shape is as simple and perfect as a car bodywork can be. My picture shows it. Nothing to add. Nothing to take. I felt in love with V12 on my first 412, then it was the the 456M. Now it’s the 612. I love all of them all, but the Scaglietti is heaven.

MRY, randkin, G. Pepper and 1 other person like this.
  24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I loved my 456M, but it was an automatic. I would have kept it forever if it was a manual. Now I have a 360 manual, and I realize I need a gated GT. I'd love a gated 612, but they are big bucks already. Then there's the conversion possibility for the 612 F1. I really can't decide if I want a 456M factory manual, or a 612 conversion manual. Both are in the ballpark of the same price.

I'm just waiting for the perfect car to come along. 456M manual/612 F1, whatever.

m5shiv likes this.
  25. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    My 612 is not gated, by design. At the time of purchase, I wanted the later car with HGTC, Challenge wheels, Bose,etc versus an 05. Since there is no perfect car, I got a 550 to fill in the gated part.

MRY and G. Pepper like this.