why so many BMW's here | Page 4 | FerrariChat

why so many BMW's here

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by urraco, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    IMO, there are several reasons for HK residents' general lack of appreciation of the 7-series.

1. Size vs. space: Streets and parking spaces are very tight around here. So, navigating a 7-series is no easy feat. On top of that, HK people generally are not big and tall. So, big cars are not very popular.

2. Gas price: Gas costs about US$1.50/liter around here. So, that works out to close to US$5/gallon. Gas guzzling cars need not apply.

3. Annual registration fee: The annual registration fee for big engine (over 4500cc) cars is over US$1400. My 740i's fee was a bit less at around US$1200 per annum.

Having said that, the smaller version of the 7-series are more popular. So, you will see more 730s and 735s. It's the same with MB's S-class. More people drive the 320/350 than the larger models.

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Because the rest are just too cool! (In response to the thread title, I hate our Bimmer! :D )

[​IMG]

4.4i X5 2004.

3. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #78 urraco, Mar 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. bimmian

bimmian Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Bmw has at least 3 types of leather, montana, nappa, and something that they put in the 7. I have an m3 with montana, and it was good leather, the nappa in my x5 4.8 is brilliant, i have heard that the 7 has something even better, i cant even imagine it.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Holy dead threads batman!

6. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Chris wants a Bimmer : ( No matter how many things I hear about their electronic problems, I am still drawn to them. Someday soon perhaps.

Here is a question though...Used M3 or Used Boxster?

- Chris

7. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    mid 90s M3s and 04 M3s are some of my favorite non exotic cars. Ill def have one soon. :D

8. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    im in love with 04 M3s and the new M3s

9. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Having been with BMW from 1983 until 2000 I got to drive about everything that came along. I really enjoyed the 1998 540i sport. Lots of fun with the manual gearbox, good torque, enough horsepower to get the job done and about 55k.

Always liked the M3 also, including my old big wing, flared fender 4 cylinder model. It was pipey to drive but absolutely a blast. I might still try to find another one...........Henna Red(Orange).

10. Art

Art Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Southern California
    As others have said before, there are some important similarities between Ferrari and BMW. They are both very involving cars to drive and usually have smaller engines (when compared with the competition) that have very high redlines and a lot of HP/liter.

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    True. My old M3 produced 192hp from a naturally aspirated 2.3 liter 4 cylinder without any turbos or superchargers. That is a little over 83 hp per liter back in the late 80's. At that time it was the highest hp/liter output of any naturally aspirated car in normal production. Equates to getting over 415 hp from a naturally aspirated 5 liter engine today. BUT, figure how much electronics and advanced technology have come into play to help get the hp we are getting today. This old M3 was 20 years ago...............

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I just like the way they drive. I had an E36 M3, then a Maser Spyder, then an E46 M3 Cab, and I've gone back to another E36 M3. To me, this is a superlative track car, with telepathic communication. Plus, at around 20K for a nice example, it is wreckable without ruining your balance sheet.

13. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I dont own a bmw, I like the new Lexus GS way more than the likes of the 3 and 5 series.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    750iL v-12 here, go team limo! ;)