Why --WERE-- TR prices so low? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why --WERE-- TR prices so low?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    So I guess this means we should start buying all of those $30K TRs, just sell the diff and throw away the rest. Pretty soon we should have enough money to buy a REAL Ferrari!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You could always use the engine as a nice coffee table rather than toss it with the outdated looking car.

3. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    ....but that would require taking the engine out of the car, and we all know that pulling the engine costs TENS OF THOUSANDS!

(BTW - please tell me you're not a Leafs fan... :))

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    A freind has a trade request: a great 308 and 30K. The TR has around 10K on it. Yes, this may be the wrong place to post this (308 sectoin may be better), but with all the TR love, maybe there's someone willing to part with a 308 and some cash for one of these great cars. Let's race it, the TR is the modern iconic Ferrari as far as I and many others is concerned.

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew Chuck Norris, and he said that Chuck Norris said that the gearbox on a TR is so weak, he could karate chop one in half.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    its not a sport unless it has an engine on it.....so no im not a mapleloaf fan.

P.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You could probably put a new engine in a 914-6 for the cost of a 'major-plus-while-you're-at-its' on a TR. Build quality is phenomenal, and they're smog exempt in California and you get a targa top car you can take on the track.

I don't see any comparison to the Testarossa. The real comparison is to its contemporary, the Dino 246 GTS. These simple, pre-smog cars are great.

As to why the Countachs are worth more than their Ferrari counterparts: I don't know. Frankly those cars are kind of embarrassing now, in the same way pink polo shirts with turned up collars seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'll bet a lot of parts-car TRs become available, if that's true.

8. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i am an expert on all things ferrari. seriously, the writing is on the wall. let's start with recession.

9. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    please get back to us when you get the final bill. that aught to be a hoot!

10. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd say the 308 is the iconic modern Ferrari, but the TR is also distinctive.

If you can get a "great 308 and $30K", trade the TR.** A truly "great" 308 with low-but-not-time-capsule miles is pushing $50K now. 'Glass cars are more.

** Assuming this is a money question and your friend likes 308s.

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    ?

The vast majority of 308's I see for sale are in the mid 30's. Thats 90% of cars +. And, I suspect they sell for less. To say a "great" 308 is pushing 50,000$ seems a bit optimistic. I would say a driver 308 is low 30's, a really nice 308 higher 30's...

To say a great 308 is in the 50's, is the same as saying a great pre 88.5 testarossa is in the 70's. Both exist...someplace...

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The vast majority of 308's aren't "great 308s". They're old cars with re-dyed leather, spot re-sprays, cracked bushings and more often than not rust. Read the Edmunds Long-term road test of an '84 308 for a description of what you get for $30K: heartache, and a tired-looking car.

The only 308 that I was seriously on the brink of writing a check for (in 2005, when I was in desperate search mode), was a red/crema '85 308 GTS QV Euro at Exoticars, under 15K miles, FCA platinum condition, asking price in summer '05 was $57,900. Problem was with CA smog, so I passed. If CA smog laws were loosened, I would pay $60K for that car today in a heartbeat.

It is not nearly as hard to find great TRs or '89 328s (if you like red/tan). Maybe it's because they were put away more as investments, but 308s always seem to have more miles and have seen more/harder use.

13. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    There are no variables nor potential surprises to this price other than the clutch (which was just replaced 5000 miles ago so I would be VERY surprised if it is in need of replacement) and the water pump. These are the same items that you will possibly have to replace on ANY model Ferrari in the inspection process during the major, so I am still up in the air as to why you think the service on a TR is so much more than on other models.

14. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I think people include a lot of stuff in a major, that technically should be considered "other" work.

Folks include brakes/disks, wheel upgrades, clutches, redoing the interior, recovering the dash, etc. Thats not technically a "major." Thats more of a monor restoration :).

The last owner of my testarossa did one of those $20,000 or so majors, and I am greatful :). I would suspect that my clutch and brakes should be good for the next 15 years, at the pace I am going. Tires were new too, and should be good for a bit...

15. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    it does seem the TR is often under-valued in fchat.
    i've read in several threads that early TR's go for ~$30k all day long.

please direct me to some as i'd like to get one before it makes its slow but inevitable climb to 6 figures.

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ~$30K is going to get you a pretty sad TR.

17. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    You're exactly right. As far as mechanical issues go, I'm not gonna fall for the "your car needs a new sphincter valve" line for christ's sake. Anything beyond the standard 30K parts that are said to need replacement, I am going to inspect first. This is not my first time to the dance.

18. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Usually you need a new sphincter after Ferrari major, IIRC.

19. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    LOL!! The service bill on a Ferrari should come with Kleenex and toilet paper.

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    if you cant afford take the heat, get out of the kitchen. I spent 15K on my TR service last feb, but i did all i had to do, i refinished the rims, new ball joints, new tires, all new hoses...the belts, and on and on. The fact is these cars like a 308 are over 20 yrs old now....the old 2 belt story wont happen on most of them anymore cause the cars are old. Wait when the 360s get 20-25yrs old and those 456s, and 550s....does anyone know what a dash replacement on that will be ? alot of cows gotta go for that dash :)

It is what it is...my next tr service in 9 yrs should only be belts and a water pump and wont need to go all out like this last one...but the tires will be hard like hockey pucks anyways, so those will have to go too.....it is what it is....pay to play !!

21. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    HAHAHAHAHAHA A COMEDIAN!!!!!

22. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I am starting to wonder whether I want to be part of this self-deprecating, masochistic cult of TR enthusiasts (and I just yesterday re-upped my Siler subcription for 5 years)......................95% of you (that participate/post on this forum) slam the car, point out these ridiculous costs to maintain, hold up in the air that the car is quite weak and a poorly engineered vehicle, and that it looks outdated and is antiquated in every aspect compared to every other car, Pinto/Vega/MonteCarlo/914/Countach/Jalpa/Europa/P71 Interceptor/Lambo/360/ on and on and on................F*ck you people, If you don't like the TR or are critical of it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE and post. I for one am a part of this forum to get insight, ideas, information and encouragement from other TR owners. I think that a vast number of the posters here are NOT even TR owners, much less an F car. And to those that are and post negative material....................F*UCK YOU...................Go away I'm looking for "enthusiasts" of the TR not negative critics from HELL......................Yes let me know what to pay attention to that may be problematic, give me maintainence advice & pointers, show me how to update and improve my TR, lead me to parts sources that are economical, share your driving experiences and adventures, BE AN ENTHUSIAST OF THE TESTAROSSA.........................Otherwise, F*CK-OFF. There are those like 91TR/Rifledriver/etc. that provide information that PROMOTES the TR, They get it, they participate in HELPING the TR owner..........They are POSITIVE.............................Learn grasshoppers, learn.........................

If this post offends anyone.............then you are NOT a true TR owner or supporter of the model and marque IMHO...........Bottom line!

The BB owners on here must look at us as a bunch of f*cking wimps (and will probably be requesting thier own forum, seperate from these whining p*ssy TR "enthusiasts"), and embarrassing to say the least..................#1------------- ENJOY THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerry

23. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    Sorry bullfighter, i love ya but none of this means excellent 308s are pushing 50k. i just heard of a guy paying 68k for a really nice 328. unfortunately these guys are few and far between. real price-55-60.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    LMAO, $15K? pass the toilet papar and the anusol, lol.

25. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David

I'm new....and just learnin'. Yes, the looks are distinctive and unique.

But, that extra 4 cyls is what's going to ultimately drive these cars up.., imho, fwiw.

(That's what's makin' me want one anyhow).

...."it's all about the drive" :)