why? | FerrariChat

why?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by outofpocket, Jul 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Just to stir things up I ask: Why is the 330 GT 2+2 so unloved?

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I think it's fabulous, especially the Series 1 with 4 Headlights. It was the very first Ferrari I ever saw when my father bought one when I was a boy. He frightened the life out of me with the engine when he was revving it up in the garage. From that moment on I have been in love with the music of the V12 engine with Webers. People must forget that this car his a big 4.0 litre 300 BHP version or the same engine as Ferraris that are so revered. I cried when he sold it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwYbUFTJks[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcwZ6HU391I[/ame]

3. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Great video! Thanks

4. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    When I got mine in the early 80s, the GTE was the unloved one. Now they are in demand and the 4HL 330 GTs are the lowest priced Enzo era V12s.

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    That is a question I often ask myself......I never use to be a fan but now I think they are fantastic value and highly under rated. Maybe not as elegant as GTE but the handling and power surely compensate for any cosmetic issues..... What made me aware of how good the 330 is was that sometime last year I drove an Aston Martin DB6 and a Series 1 330 in the same day, the difference was like chalk and cheese....The 330 made the DB6 feel like a truck. In period these cars were contemporary 2+2 GT's retailing for similar money but today the Aston is percieved to be worth maybe three times as much as 330 which to me is crazy. Its probably all down to marketing and the JB connection to the DB5 but Ferrari certainly built the superior car.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Not unloved by me.

I hope they stay unloved until I can get enough cash to buy myself a series 2.

Is it true the 2+2's were more expensive back in the day than the coupés?

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well said!

I loved my 330.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Not sure.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11086

I think it depends on the year, and whether it was delivered to the East Coast or West Coast (for USA customers). I have no info for lira to compare apples to apples.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I don't know the exact price but I have read on many occasions that a 250 GTO was about £6000 in the UK as was the 330 GT 2+2.

10. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Traditionaly the 2+2 was the flagship of the range and usually was priced at slightly more than the 2 seater Berlinettas.......I am fairly certain a 250 GTE was more expensive than a 250 SWB and the 250 GT Lusso still remains the cheapest Ferrari ever sold in the UK......forgetting inflation but just comparing list prices through the ages........I have 1968 UK price list in front of me.The 365 GTB/4 Daytona retailed for GBP 8563.......So did the the 365 GT 2+2. However the biggest surprise is that the 330 GTS sold for the same price as the 330 GTC......GBP 7063
    Happy Days !!!

11. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Not by me they're not.
    I'm glad I've got 2 of the most unloved Ferrari', because by the time(IF THAT EVER HAPPENS)I'm ready to sell,they will just about be the only 2 left in their original form!!

They are both different and both as enjoyable,I can hustle the 365 like a Cooper S,if necessary and sit all day at 100MPH in the 330(as I did on a trip to Melbourne earlier this year.)
    Bring on the protestations,and you will be howled down.

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I must admit..... I am growing attached to the Ser 1 front end and the performance of the 330 is something that cant be ignored.