Will 3 pedal Cars hold value or is it a 'fad' | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will 3 pedal Cars hold value or is it a 'fad'

Discussion in '360/430' started by secondsole, Dec 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I think the younger generation does not care for stick shift cars however guys in their 30s and 40s and older still might care for them because of nostalgia. It brings back memories of our younger years. I think unless the car is a piece of significant racing history it's not gona skyrocket whether it's stick or paddle. And the manual 360 and 430 may maintain a small premium over its paddle shift brother. I personally love the gated shifter on a 360 and 430 as I had a gated 430 years ago but if I could only have one Ferrari in the garage it is obviously my 458 spider. The only car I would put in its place is the 458 aperta and that is not practical if you want to drive the car. The shifting on the 458 dual clutch transmission is incredible and does not make me at all want a gated shifter.

2. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Will Enzo agree that ferrari only make DCT? Or to let people choose?

My eldest asked me a week ago, Dad will you teach me to drive a manual? Why do you want to learn to drive a stick? So that I can drive your cars. My cars are only MT. Autos are for my wife. There is hope for the future.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

sixcarbs, 808Forza, Bigilo and 3 others like this.
  3. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Slightly off topic, but I saw you had a Scuderia before the 458 Spider. You mentioned that you really like the dual clutch on the 458. I have heard so much over the years from Scud owners about how raw and engaging the shifts are, especially compared to the 458 and new dual clutch cars which are faster but much more refined. As an owner of both cars, I am just curious of your opinion on the Scud transmission vs. 458 transmission and if you miss the Scud F1 shifts at all?

4. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Great pictures! I always enjoy checking out the gated shifters in old Ferrari's like in your pictures. To me that is part of what is so special about having a gated shifter in a 430 or 360 is the small link back to these historic cars, with the gated transmission being such a big part of Ferrari's historically.

In the future when cars are electric and self driving (with no transmission at all!), I feel that having a gated manual, clutch pedal, and the skills necessary to heal toe, etc. will be a big part of what makes a 430 or 360 manual a keeper. After all, owning/driving a car like these is about the experience, and will be even more so as cars continue to become more refined to the point where we don't even drive them anymore!

808Forza, cavlino and G. Pepper like this.
  5. Arun R

Arun R Rookie

Dec 16, 2017
    Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Arun R
    I started my 430 search for a manual transmission over a year ago. I never could find one exactly the way I wanted (red on tan interior, CS brakes, low miles, etc). There were times where I almost pulled the trigger on a F1 transmission car as they could be had for as low as 80k. I know a lot of you will think I am crazy but I finally found what I was looking for and ended up paying close to the 150k mark (around a 50k premium! ) for my 2007 430 with 16k miles. I went to my local Ferrari Dealer and was told I found a bargain and that they had a 2005 430 with a manual for sale for 190k!! Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Natkingcolebasket69 and 808Forza like this.
  6. Spider Jeff

Spider Jeff Rookie

Oct 9, 2006
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff H
    I think we should worry more about enjoying the experience today than worry what our cars will be worth in five years. I personally don’t want an automatic sports car, but I started auto crossing an X-19 in the seventies, so my age plays a factor in my thoughts on what a sports car should be. I honestly have no interest in owning any automatic sports car, so I will always be part of the community that will pay a premium to drive what I enjoy. I still remember vividly my first drive in my old 348, the pure mechanical feel of driving it made it special to me. While the 360 I drive today is better in almost every way, I still miss feeling like I am driving a racing go cart in the streets with the 348.

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well I am not so sure what will interest young guys. I have always been a car guy driving my son to tennis matches in my 911s. Well my son never seemed much interested in cars, he wanted a Ford Explorer for college and an Audi A3 for college graduation, go figure? Well two years ago he got 2010 997.2 Porsche as a third fun car, his wife drives a Lexus SUV as DD and he drove a Toyota SUV as DD. Well he just sold the 2016 Toyota SUV for an older Prius (with a sticker so he can commute in the diamond lane in CA). Says he loves it and can charge up at work for free, drive only on electric to & from work and hasn't filled up since last April. I get the cost savings his Dad is also cheep and commuting in LA traffic is absolutely no fun.

But now he wants to learn to drive a MT? My son is 34 with a small family. I just keep scratching my head as to what is going to appeal to the younger generation?

G. Pepper and Bundy like this.
  8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    At first I want to say “styling”... but what I’m wondering is if like any first generation offering.. the handling and “feel” of electrics like the Prius will be so “blah” that the engagement will drive the adoption of the stick and sports cars. Your son is already ahead of the mindless zombies in their camrys and EVs.. :)

808Forza likes this.
  9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Randkin,
    Im a porsche guy myself, have manual turbo and RS. Coming from a porsche guy, your son is becoming a porsche guy too and he is now getting into what makes porsches fun, the manual transmission.

Ive owned PDK gt3 and turbos so I try not to be bias.

Its hard to say if your son is a true manual guy or just riding the wave because its sort of late to start driving manuals especially if you live in LA. Im in LA right now and traffic is daily.

Ive been driving manuals from my first car, around 2005-2009 i sold my last manual then a 997.2 c4s which i still have bad dreams still. After that, ive owned scuds and speciale but I have always left a manual in my stable.

Now, i have more manuals than auto.

I am just a manual guy.

808Forza likes this.
  10. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    [QUOTE="randkin, post: 145745652, member: 181933")Well he just sold the 2016 Toyota SUV for an older Prius (with a sticker so he can commute in the diamond lane in CA). Says he loves it and can charge up at work for free, drive only on electric to & from work and hasn't filled up since last April. I get the cost savings his Dad is also cheep and commuting in LA traffic[/QUOTE]

I cant blame people for loving Teslas and prius, california gas is $1 more expensive than AZ and TX. And there is hardly any station that sells diesel.

I drove my Rover Diesel and there is only one station that has one and its $3.65/gl. I am paying an extra $20 for a fill up.

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    will oems start making trans again?
    Will some movie or other pop culture phenomena make manuals more desirable to the younger generation? Maybe it's part of a future hipster movement as so many "old-times" things have become today.
    Who knows.
    I believe 4 things.
    Non-manuals have greater performance potential than manuals.
    They also bring with them additional mechanical complexity and expense.
    That performance potential is wasted on the vast majority of us who do not track our cars.
    That said, macho egos will still want to be able to say they have the king of the hill in terms of performance.
    So, it's a tie-game, IMO.
    I personally would be happy with either (but felt the f1 or e-gear system was simply too premature to gamble with.however I would not hesitate to own a DCT paddle shift car).

12. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    6 months ago, I was interested on a 435 MT in a dealer. I asked a sales rep to pull up the car so i call look at it.

He told me he cant but he can walk me to it. He mentioned he doesnt know how to drive a manual. Youre kidding right? No he said, never driven one. But he said he will start to practice on one of their cars.
    He was surprised i only buy manuals for myself. He is in the 20's.

13. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
  14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    The question is if millenials and those after them, will think so.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I went to the dealership in manhattan, I said I have a 360 with a stick. To which he responded "the 360 is a nice starter Ferrari". To which I replied "which Ferrari do you own?"
    He said "I don't own one yet".

I just smiled as I slowly made my way to the door.

808Forza likes this.
  16. Arun R

Arun R Rookie

Dec 16, 2017
    Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Arun R
    The manuals are getting pretty close to their asking price when new! The trend of an increasing premium for manuals will turn off most Millennials unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    The scuderia transmission was rough and brutal which was part of the cars character . I do not miss the car and no I do not miss the shifts. The shifts in the 458 are faster with a kick as well however just not as violent. Which I prefer . It is after all an improvement. The scuderia was a great car and I'm not knocking it I just got tired of it ... it was to extream and not a long term keeper. It was not enjoyable if you were not driving itvay its full potential.

18. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I’m afraid Millenials prefer Uber these days. I’m thinking I could make a decent buck picking them up with a competing Uber Service — ExoticCab️. Premium rates apply if it’s a MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I agree I would not buy a manual transmission car for investment just cause its manual. In 10 or 20 years from now the people with money buying cars will be the millennial's and they will want the cars that were on TV or on their screen savers that they dreamt about all day long. Most of these millennials don't even know how to drive stick nor do they want to learn.

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Unfortunately , I have to agree with this statement. Safe a select few, none will care for the majority.

21. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    That logic would extend to all automobiles, no?

22. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Huh? We have a BMW diesel wagon (in SoCal), and except for Costco, practically every gas station has diesel... Costco does not carry diesel, but Chevron, Shell, etc. do... In the past 6-9 month diesel has increased above premium, used to be less - not sure what is causing this skew.

23. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    You are right, but i noticed onlychevron and shell in the valley sells diesel, Arco and others does not have diesel. I think diesel maybe more common in the freeway or interstate than inside the city. Understandable, none of my friends even have a diesel cars. I saw VW pizza delivery guy filling up though.

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've read stories about Uber drivers in exotics. The riders reactions are pretty funny.

25. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    This is an ineresting viewpoint. For the original person asking the question you should probably drive both cars and make your own mind up.

What constitutes an "improvement" can be highly subjective in terms of how it relates to driving experience. For example, while pdk vs manual, electric vs power steering, turbo charged vs naturally aspirated etc etc can be viewed as "improvements" do they help or hurt the driving experience. Obviously for many the answer is no.

I and many others have the opposite view on which car is preferred even though we probably agree on the differences. Really comes down to if you prefer a highly refined sports car experience or a raw one.

Namely the 458 is a fantastic car. And further it is very refined which makes it a good almost daily super car. And very good for long trips. A car you could feel comfortable having a bluetooth phone conversation in. For many this is nirvana.

The Scud, on the other hand is more of a raw car that feels like an "event" to drive every time you get in. It feels very special even at low speeds and downright violent when driven in anger . The transmission is fun because it can go from being docile to brutal. For others this is nirvana!

Both fantastic cars--but very different in terms of the driving experience. Reasonable people will differ highly on which they prefer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

G. Pepper, cavlino and dang2407 like this.