Will 3 pedal Cars hold value or is it a 'fad' | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Will 3 pedal Cars hold value or is it a 'fad'

Discussion in '360/430' started by secondsole, Dec 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You're right. They will find a way.. :)

ILikeBond and Afonsolaw like this.
  2. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    California is banning NEW fossil fuel cars in 2040. I wonder how much would be gas then. Thats the one that would kill these cars.

Can I afford to fill up my 5 remaining manual cars with Gas?

Afonsolaw likes this.
  3. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I have a 30 year old bmw that I paid more for it now then when it was brand new and it has 135k miles on it. I paid a premium not because of how fast it is but because of the memories and nostalgia of when I was 17.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

INTMD8 likes this.
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I disagree for the most part. Yes to an extent people will want what they liked as kids as they grow older but real automotive enthusiasts don't make the same boundaries for themselves that others think they will.

I'm 39 and have a 1959 Cadillac because I think it's a beautiful car. Certainly have no memories of it as a child.

I would love a 50's or 60's Ferrari, can't afford it.

I would also love a Duesenberg. Surely those are cheap by now, people who took a ride in one of those at 5 years old are almost 90 years old now.

See I don't think the age/timeline is an overall deciding factor in automotive values.

Cars like this are an emotional purchase and anything beautiful and timeless is functional art that will always be desirable.

Bigilo, espvh and Afonsolaw like this.
  5. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    There are a couple of cars I would watch on tv and dream of owning when I was younger but couldn't aford then. But can anyone loan me about 29 mil so I can fulfill my life long dream of owning a mclaren F1 GTR ?

Hey it's a manual ;)

6. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

Dream alittle bit. With the way cars are being designed right now, in 30 years, in Pebble beach, a Ferrari would still be one of the most beautiful machines ever designed. I cant wait to show off. I dont really care if it is worth $500.

I am at the stage of my life that I buy things because thats what I want. I dont really care if its not a IN thing. I am done with that.

With my stable of manual cars, all of them are valued thesame. My lowly E39 M5 is the cheapest in Value but it is equal in my eyes with the rest.

My own personal cars, I hand wash them, nobody drives it except me, I pay big$$$ to maintain it, it gets a spot on my limited garage space. Thats because it provides something other cars does not. Just like a mistress if you will :>

fredzzz, dang2407 and KC360 FL like this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My daughter and son are in their early-mid 20's. I taught them both to drive a stick soon after they had their licenses. He's absolutely a car guy; for my daughter - a car is not that more than transportation. But both kids prefer MT cars by a long shot.

And they both love a Ferrari. ;)

8. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Yes, and I own an 88 M6. But we see an interesting statistic lately; Millennial’s aren’t even getting drivers licenses!

recoil and Afonsolaw like this.
  9. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I felt like chiming in and agree that growing up we remember cars that were around in our younger years. I was born in 62 so graduating high school in 1980 we ģrew a fondness for mid to late sixty muscle cars. And then of course the hot new cars of my time, 78 z28 camaros, 78 trans ams etc. I like all cars probably forward of mid sixtys vettes, while I can appreciate older cars than that I have no desire to buy one. I think for the future buyers to want to buy the 3 pedal or F1 cars they will have been born no later than 2010 ish or they will seem to old of a car. I unfortunately do agree that the gas issue is also possibly going to be a separate disruptive issue. Just enjoy what you like and can afford and don't buy solely for an investment .

Afonsolaw likes this.
  10. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I would think that would make gas cheaper, you know supply and demand. It’s not going to go away completely, I mean you can still buy hay.

Bhh and KC360 FL like this.
  11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It would. But the center of the world is California to anyone who lives there. Or more importantly, pays the absurd taxes there. The reason gas prices would be so high is the taxes placed on it. The only thing guaranteed to go up Cali... is taxes.

Here in SC I don’t expect anything to change. Not everyone here lives in a progressive city and you need a car to get around in the country. Which btw there is a lot of the state beyond the range of electric car infrastructure. Wait for a lot of Nevada, Utah and oregon plates...

There’s a lot of conjecture in this thread that I wouldn’t bet money on. In the next 20 years, if stick prices drop expect equal downward movement from the F1. Its a crappy transmission. Even the later versions compared to DCT.

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    We all “dream” of a 250gt or Enzo or LaFerrari in the garage. How about the others? Can you afford them? ;)

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My first car was a Porsche 924. Bought it for $1950. I can buy one today for less than $5k. I sold my 928 a year ago for less than $2000. Not all childhood nostalgia gets caught in the bubble.

14. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks vrsurgeon for taking the high road and informing me my 360 F1 gearbox is crappy. I was enjoying the experience and did not know!
    That said, IMHO the stick 360s and 430s will always command a premium over the F1. Far less made. Old school gated shifter.
    The 360 F1s will be supported as they age. There are shops already that rebuild the expensive hydraulics for a fraction of the new part. If values rise over the years, they will follow the stick trend but at a lower selling price. Logic dictates F1s are more costly to maintain.
    Just my opinion. Please note: I also own a F355 spider stick, so we know my opinion is of little value!

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Dude, it's my obnoxious opinion only as I've expresses here before. This is the internet and we all know how valuable an opinion from the peanut gallery is.. :)

16. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    This is one of the reasons I left CA for SC!

To add to this, CA just approved an increase in the gas tax by 12 cents from 29.7 cents per gallon to 41.7 cents per gallon. Their justification is to use this to fix the roads and bridges, but I'll believe it when I see it.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    We have to take the cars out for a drive one of these days!

timwu12 likes this.
  18. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Loan me the money!

19. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    definitely, once the snow clears and the temps warm up!

20. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Funny, that is what the car registration fees are supposed to be for!

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    yup, that and the ever increasing bridge tolls (ie, the golden gate bridge is now $6.75 with fastrak) that were increased "to fix roads and bridges"

22. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    I'm confused. You're investment strategy is based on future Millennials which expect, and have become accustomed to, near perfection in their sports cars (ie. Huracan, Porsche GT3) which both literally never break down. In addition, your future buyers cannot and have no desire to learn to drive a manual transmission. These same buyers, which again expect total digital perfection, are going to forgive a car company for not knowing how to stretch leather over a dash or make plastic knobs that don't feel like tootsie rolls on a hot summer day ...or better yet, need a mandatory belt change every three years? I assure you, no future Millennials with money have an aging exotic with mediocre performance and archaic quirks on their "must have" list. None, not one. You guys might have a nephew or two that thinks your car is cool, but they will not be buying one for more than they are currently being offered for. Period. Who is going to buy a Ferrari 275 for 3 million dollars in 20 years? Come on, its silly. An IPhone goes straight into the trash after three years and they have more power than the strongest desk top computer from just a few years ago. The last generation that cares about Ferrari's golden era or is nostalgic in the least, is us.

Enjoy your car, drive it into the ground. They are wonderful machines but there are no investment opportunities here. Everything is thrown away or recycled, the whole premise of an investment vehicle is it's heirloom quality and we simply do not live in an heirloom world anymore.

KC360 FL and recoil like this.
  23. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You are making a good argument here. The only thing about it that I want to fault is that you are generalizing and grouping to a very high degree. It's as though you feel that there is a shift towards a global think. How are we to know that the increasing population won't create more "types" of ideas to exist together? What about other influences like large populations of other countries? India, China?

The cars you mention drive for you so that 1000 hp car that you are paying to maintain and insure is not really anymore exciting to drive than a smaller engine car with less nannies, except in a straight line (Corvette or Dodge anyone?).

I am not really disagreeing with you but just trying to keep a dialog going.

recoil likes this.
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    FWIW three high school kids heard me coming the other day - two guys and a girl - and the GIRL looked back and gave me a thumbs up.

These kids eat Grand Theft Auto for breakfast, you know, so I can easily see them wanting to learn to drive a supersport automobile when they get the scratch.

The "purists" - and every generation has them - will want a manual.

808Forza likes this.
  25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Something else to remember: how many people do you actually need to want a 360/F430 for this topic to be relevant? There are a lot of generalities about millennials, future generations, etc. etc. but the reality is that in the grand scheme, not that many of these cars were made relative to these mass generalities. You only need a small pocket of today's kids to lust after a 360 or F430 for the value conversation to be relevant.

My honest opinion is that this is kind of a dumb topic anyway. If you prefer a manual car, buy it. If you prefer and F1 car, buy that. Don't buy a car because you're concerned about what future buyers way down the line will prefer. That's always a surefire way to end up unhappy. Buy what you love, write the check, be done, and be blissfully happy with your car for years and years. The end.

alum04org, cwilson13, cavlino and 2 others like this.