Will Alfa buy Sauber? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Will Alfa buy Sauber?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 05011994, Nov 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Alfa is Ferrari's little step brother. I'm glad that they are back to F1. Nice to see more Italian teams besides Ferrari.

2. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Given limited testing availability, it may allow different options to be pursued and tested at once.

Although I believe transfer of information has restrictions on it.

Ferrari benefited a lot from shared data before HAAS actually got on the grid of F1.

3. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Well, clearly not enough..

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think teams want to share information, it’s a pretty easy thing to do.

stavura likes this.
  5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    "Was Nervous"

Next year he will be permanently nervous with Charles as a Team mate.

DECEMBER 5, 2017

Ericsson was nervous before 2018 deal signed

Marcus Ericsson has admitted he had "a few nervous weeks" before he was re-signed by Sauber for 2018.

The Swede was out-scored this year by his teammate Pascal Wehrlein, who has been ousted and looks set to leave F1.

Ericsson admits that Wehrlein, the highly-rated young Mercedes driver, was "the perfect measure" for him in 2017.

However, it is believed 26-year-old Ericsson's strong links with the new Sauber ownership were enough to secure his place for next season.

"I had a few nervous weeks but of course it's nice that everything is ready now, especially with Alfa Romeo as a major sponsor and partner," he told the Swedish motoring magazine Teknikens Varld.

Ericsson, who has also raced in F1 with the now-defunct Caterham team, admitted he is relieved that Sauber looks set to have a more competitive car in 2018.

"It has been quite a tough career so far in formula one," he said. "It has been difficult to show what I can do with cars that are always at the back of the grid.

"But now with Sauber together with Alfa Romeo, it should mean that for the first time I can be much higher on the grid," Ericsson added.

He will be paired next year with Charles Leclerc, the new Formula 2 champion and a Ferrari junior driver.

"Charles Leclerc is an incredibly talented driver who really dominated F2 this year and will of course be a tough opponent for me next season," Ericsson said.

"He is also Ferrari's new super junior but I'm sure we will work well together to develop the car in the best way."

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Still based in switzerland, so I wouldn't call them an Italian team. More like a Swiss team with an Italian sponsor....

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I love the new nickname the press gave the car: Sauberomeo

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yep I was at that race - sadly the last one at the Glen. the Alfa's did sound good, the Brabhams sounded great when they have alfa power... they were different in tone than the flat 12 of Ferrari's.... Alfas were more baritone... in 76 -78 they were flat 12's too.. then moved to v-12's... that is when the sound got more Matra like.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    or instead of Alfasud.... Alfasauber

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes more Matra like . . . but not quite. Hans Stuck's drive in 77 was a heartbreaker.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We used to watch the race from the boot area... and I remember going through the huge drainage pipe, just when Stuck came through... he had a really pretty strong lead... but I was more worried about Lauda at the time - that he finished and scored enough points to win the championship again. It was raining so miserably that day... but by the end when Hunt won - it was drying up.

Best race I ever saw - was Glen 79... when Villeneuve and Jones were battling it out in the rain. when Jones wheel came un done - I was so thrilled. if they had not screwed up the pits stop - Jones would have won that race!

375+ likes this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Haas's F1 headquarters is based in the UK. Are they an American team or a UK team?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I attended both races as well. We used to watch the start from the downhill left hander entering the boot, and then from different corners throughout the race. In 77 I got separated from my friends and lost them in the crowd(pre-cell phones). I watched the race alone and had to rely on the PA system(useless) for race status. We reunited at our campsite behind the Paddock Club after the race and then drove our separate ways.
    79 was a great race, Gilles was the darling of the crowd. I have some photos of Bud Man around here somewhere.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Depend on who signs the checks.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alfa will be supplying the money that cuts the checks.

16. Lucky Jones

Lucky Jones Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Manteca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Alfauber (?)

Nah, sounds too much like a "Little Rascals" character.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    AlFUBAR?

18. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    True. As Ricky Bobby once said in the famous documentary entitled "Talledega Nights", 'If you're not first, you're last'.
    Truer words were never spoken!!

Kevin

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I see them as an American team because the ethos behind it is American. Haas is an American, and I'll bet he moved many Americans to the UK to work for his American team.

Alfa Romeo is a sponsor, still. They don't even make an engine and I doubt they will make many cultural changes within Sauber's existing structure. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I still see them as a Swiss team with an Italian sponsor. Like I see Red Bull as a British team with an Austrian sponsor...

375+ likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I see this like Mercedes Brawn. Over time it will be absorbed if it works out.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    C'mon guys, nobody likes this? Seriously?

I didn't come up with it but I thought it was sheer brilliance.

Isobel? Anybody.:oops:

22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It was cool. Izzy always comes up with funny nicknames.

tifosi12 likes this.
  23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks m8!

Yeah, Izzy's stuff is a bit beyond my normal thinking. But when I get it, it's really cool. Like the Mary Kay pink Cadillacs, that was fantastic.

But for mere mortals I'll buy Sauberomeo. :)

I will steal that for my next article. For real.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    When the Alfasud was built in the south then this must be the Alfanorth...

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alfa Romeo (North of) Milano. :)