Will Alonso stay with McLaren all season? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will Alonso stay with McLaren all season?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will Alonso last the entire season with McLaren?

1. He has a contract. He will stay

2. He likes the money and F1 perks. He'll stay

3. McLaren will get it's act together. He'll stay

4. No one would want his salary. He'll stay

5. McLaren will dump Honda. He'll stay

6. He wants to win. He'll quit no matter the salary

7. He's had enough. He'll walk away rich

8. Honda will boot him for his comments

9. I'm just having fun watching this mess.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    He's going to stay. Now next year? Doubtful unless Honda makes a huge leap forward pretty quickly. Based on what we've seen so far; that seems doubtful

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am absolutely 100% sure Alonso thinks he is better than Hamilton. So, it must really be hard for him to see himself in poor machinery for yet another year.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Nothing recently has shown that Alonso is still among the best, or even the best.

This is all supposition based on performances several years back.

A lot of water passed under the bridge since ....

4. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    If we take it to the lowest common denominator for the last few years, what we can conclude is that he has not been left wanting against his team mates.

That's probably the only way we can judge in today's series which is so car orientated.

Of course we can't compare with Max or Ricci, but it's fair to say that he has trounced his team mates in the last few years.

Best,

Sammy

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    He outperformed Kimi at Ferrari, and look at how quick Kimi still is now...and last year. Granted, the car at Ferrari at the time was a massive turd, and not developed for Kimi, but still.

Alonso trains hard and wants to win. I doubt he has fallen off much, if at all.

I think personality is the main thing Alonso might have working against him in being offered a drive with another top team.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You cannot judge a driver by how he was 3 years ago !!

I believe that if you don't drive a good car for a while, you tend to lose your skill.

7. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Not true. Last season (2016) Alonso dragged that PoS McLaren to 54 points. A car that struggled to get out of quali 3 and was a country mile off the pace. He beat his team mate, Jenson Button, another highly rated world champion, out of the park (21 points scored). And, the most obvious proof, he beat that failed journeyman, Massa, who could only score 53 points in a vastly superior Williams.

He is clearly a top tier driver and easily deserves to be considered in the same class as Ham or Vet. It's an absolute disgrace that Honda cannot provide a pu worthy of his talents.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I voted that he will stay with the contract..however with the latest news from Honda that the lack of power may be even worse than what they thought last week.'little bit scared'.

Wouldn't be surprised if Alonso reverts to his old petulant (talented) self and throws all his toys out the pram,exit stage left.

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Let's not forget that this is a driver who says he's not interested in driving for points or podium places, all he wants is to do is win races and Championships - Well that's not going to happen any time soon with McLaren by the looks of it!

If the McLaren doesn't improve drastically and quickly this season, I can easily see him walking out on McLaren mid-season due to frustration and possibly depression!

He seems to Me to be right at the point of saying: "What's the ***king point of travelling all around the World just to go round and round hoping for a miracle cure, and hoping to scratch a few points together?....I'm just wasting My time!"

And if the Ferrari turns out to be the real deal this season (yes, it's a big "if" at the moment!), and really is the car to beat in 2017, then I think that too could make him want to walk out on McLaren if they're still slow and suffering reliability issues, especially if Ferrari were to win the WDC/WCC in 2017

(One of his biggest worries about his McLaren gamble has been the possibility of a Ferrari driver winning the WDC - That would have really destroyed him having walked out on the team!).

I'll bet Jenson Button has been spending a fair old bit of time in the simulator recently to get accustomed to the 2017 car as best as possible, "just in case!"

(There's a reason why McLaren were determined to keep button on the books, and My suspicion is that they were already concerned that there was a possibility that Alonso might not see out the season if the car was no good! ;) )

As for Alonso and the future: If he walks out on McLaren then there's absolutely no way he will sit in another teams car in 2017.

Going to Red Bull in 2018?: Forget it! - Not going to happen!

He will try to either get into Mercedes for 2018, or he will try to come back to Ferrari if they're successful in 2017, hoping to take Kimi's seat. Saying that though, Kimi has been looking pretty tasty so far in pre-season testing, and if he carries that into the season then there may not be a seat available at the Scuderia.

Back to Renault? - I don't think they're showing enough improvement to tempt him. I suspect he would see that as being no better than remaining at McLaren.

If he can't get into Mercedes or Ferrari then he will walk away from F1, knowing that he made a complete balls up of his career going back to McLaren!

As I say, right now, I think Alonso is right at the breaking point. The McLaren gamble hasn't paid off and he's starting to feel like he just wasting his time. He's spent the last two years battling to improve and develop the car, and it's as though he's having to work incredibly hard just to stand still!

So will he see the season out? - My thinking is, unless McLaren and Honda find some sort of magic bullet to cure all of their woes, then it's highly unlikely that he will.

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Alonso has made a LOT of money. What he doesn't have a lot of time left in F1. That will weigh heavily on whatever decision he makes.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    He's only 35. He's still plenty young and drives with the same aggression. He's just in a crap car.

I've never heard anyone say that personally. If you are out of a car altogether, yes - you lose some speed until you get enough seat time back. If you are in a slow car, it will take you some time for your brain to get back up to speed in a fast car. But to lose your speed because you are in a car that is a second or two off - I don't buy that.

13. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    McLaren still has Jenson under contract so if there was a falling out with Alonso, the team would still have a veteran driver to work with... That said, I do not see Alonso quitting the team, after all he is getting paid quite well, I think there is a better chance that the team fires him.

Where could he end up? Not Ferrari, not Red Bull. Mercedes, certainly not midseason, though things might get interesting next off season. Willams could be a better option, should one of their drivers struggle to score points during the season. Renault is probably the best option, factory team (factory money) and while hulkenburg should have the car in the top 10 in every race, palmer may struggle, making Alonso a perfect option to secure points late in the season.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #39 william, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Alonso has been lucky to be able to cash on past glory.
    To be honest, I will never understand why McLaren was so eager to sign him, in view of past history, or why Honda seems to have insisted in recruiting him. To me, it's a complete mystery, and a move that became a terrible business decision.

I cannot see how he could command the same kind of money at the end of his McLaren contract. Wherever he goes, he will take a pay cut, in line with his real market value.
    Really, I cannot see any team desperate to sign him !

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honda wanted him.

16. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He will stay at mclaren hoping a place at Mercedes opens up for next year. If it doesn't I suspect he'll go straight to Wec with porsche as I doubt Mclaren will be wdc material even in 2018

18. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1

I'll do you one better. This will happen when then 4XWDC Hamilton returns to McLaren to see out his career.

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The two most powerful forces in the Universe are keeping Alonso and McLaren together: money and lawyers.

Anyway, this season there are no tokens, so I think that they´ll be in a decent position in a few races, and maybe fighting for more important goals later. 2018? Who knows...

20. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    ^ this

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Hahaha I thought of this too!

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Being pulled apart literally by a mega company's product: the Honda PU

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IF he leaves, IMO he'll leave after either Spanish GP or Monaco.

But he's got around 30 millions reasons not to leave at that point still.

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I hope he stays..nothing makes me laugh as hard as reading some spanish press....

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    His contract has to have some sort of exit clause, but if he has hopes of joining a more competitive team in the future he needs to stay where he is to keep sharp. I would think that just like anything else in life, stepping out of one of these cars for multiple months gets one out of practice.