Will anyone be able to order one of these? | FerrariChat

Will anyone be able to order one of these?

Discussion in '296' started by 96redLT4, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Even without a prior ownership history, like the California, to get new owners into the fold.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wasnt hard to order sf90 so i imagine this will be like a f8 was

Napoli and Dela like this.
  3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Of course. Just walk into your dealership and Im sure they'll take your deposit.

SAFE4NOW and Dela like this.
  4. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I recall that with the introduction of the F8, Ferrari had stated that 1/3 of the orders were to be new clients to allow them access to a ferrari which I confirmed with my dealer at the time. So, I suspect they would do the same with this new model segment.

5. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Absolutely! However their existing, VIP and top clients will be first depending when they ordered and when yours is placed in the queue.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. 355 Giallo gtb

355 Giallo gtb Karting

Mar 14, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    Rob p.
    i ordered mine yesterday, but Ferrari's factory configurer isn't up yet, so i was told?

ARAUJO77 and maximilien like this.
  7. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Did you obtain order guide and US pricing with your order or was it a deposit?

8. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I put a deposit for the 296 a few months ago but no full ordering guide is available yet. I expect my car probably this time next year. I am third in line at my dealer.

ARAUJO77 and Dela like this.
  9. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J

Sounds right. I put a deposit down in January (first) but have no idea on pricing. The launch color looks to be new (Rosso Modena). It is a special color, so could be an approx. $6.5k to $12.5k upcharge.

When I placed my deposit, the dealer person literally said,"I don't know anything about a new model, but if you say so, I'll take $10,000 to reserve this thingamajig."

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So the answer is yes in the USA, but you'll wait years. And it depends on where you live because Ferrari has allocations to dealers so some get more, some get less depending on past sales. Unlike most cars, you have to go to the dealer within 150 miles of you unless you live farther than 150 miles from any dealer (then you can go anywhere).

Dealers do not know their allocation yet and won't for months so it's impossible to predict when a car could be available.

I waited 2 years to order and an another 10 months to get a new F430 spider in LA even though I ordered a new Maserati spyder from the same dealer. After the first new F car I bought getting a 458 was easier.

Dealers sell to their best customers first in addition to who steps up first. The best thing to do is get on a dealer list. Most won't ask for a deposit but YMMV.

Buying a used Ferrari off the dealer lot may also help, but don't count on anything.

Just being honest with you.... you're going to have to wait. Is it worth the wait? I would say so.

SAFE4NOW and dhlnb like this.
  11. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    I don't know how much of this is factual. You can order a F8 from anywhere. No dealer that I've spoken with has placed restrictions or asked where you live so I don't believe the '150 mile' theory is accurate. Times are different now. Ferrari is a public company and their line up is fairly extensive. It isn't that difficult to order a new Ferrari unless of course it's a one-off model.

Defender 90, Napoli and Dela like this.
  12. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    yes that 150 mile rule doesnt seem to apply to Europe either.

13. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I can confirm this is the case in FL. I personally spoke to 2 dealers about placing a deposit on the 296. In fact the the larger dealer stated he had more allocations and my wait time would be less.

I can see a situation where the larger dealers will be supplying new cars across the country, similar to how people are purchasing the C8 Corvette.

14. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Yeah, exactly it’s just like with Porsche 911s. I think the days of having to be invited etc. to order a Ferrari are gone. The one off ones are still more difficult to secure but the Roma, California, f8 and 296 are easy to secure.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Is the 296 even in MODIS yet? Not so sure.

But anyone can order it. I'm sure some US dealers will still play the old games, but as always, that is all it is. There never was anything official from Ferrari about purchasing these cars. It was made up by dealers. That was also the case for the 458.

If your dealer starts to make demands, just walk and tell him you will place an order somewhere else. That is the only way to put an end to this B.S.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never has, never will.

From what I gather, it also seems to be very selective where it applies in the US.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Go visit the Ferrari Dealership closest to your residence, pay your deposit, spec your car when the allocartion slot opens!
    Don't forget to share your spec when you finish it!

What you are saying was true, but for the past 3+ years, its changed significantly. With the exception of SE cars, you can walk in pay the follow the established process of placing a deposit, providing proof of residency, etc. and when your allocation comes open, spec your car. 1st come 1st serve.

Dealership allocation is a thing of the past, now its open game to equalize the playing field between everyone. Small Dealerships aren't holding a slot they will never fill and large volume Dealerships are no longer putting " names " on allocations in order to hold them for inventory.

To order a Roma ( or upcoming 296 ) you have to pay a deposit, provide the required Dox proving you are a real person ( buyer ) and you are in.. I see that a lot of 1st time Ferrari owners are finally getting into the family now... It seems to be working well.

The 150 Mile rule, at least in Texas is strictly enforced. That's not to say other Dealerships dont pull clients from another area, but when it's found out, there are serious repercussions. ( Usually found out when the car comes in for its 1st annual service )

SE cars...... yep play the game, buy used cars, attend special events, develop the dealership relationship, its only fair right? ;-)

Steve

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #18 TheMayor, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Seems to me Ferrari of Beverly Hills and other dealers in high sales markets would be totally screwed if they get rid of the 150 mile rule. Even their most loyal customers would buy anywhere to shorten the wait. And all of their existing customers just lost their priority if its first come first served. There must be some agreements somewhere. If your first time buyer is no different than someone who has bought several, there's going to be a lot of complaining.

You can buy a Chevy C8 at any Chevy dealer in America. The problem is that the top 3 dealerships get the lion's share of quota. So smaller dealers still have to wait to get cars while the bigger dealers get them first. And, the car arrives a dealer maybe across the country. You have to get it or ship it to your location (generally speaking). And the dealer has to deal with out of state sales and sales tax rules for other states. Its possible, but a bit of a hassle.

Then again, if they did drop the 150 rule I think its better for the consumer. If the policy is changed, then I retract my earlier statement. I hadn't heard this -- but my feeling is in some parts of the country its still going to be "the rule".

One thing for sure. You can't shop around for a better price. The only advantage would be getting one earlier than another dealer as far as I can see

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

150Mile rule may be 200, some less, but you are right, I have no idea how they would enforce the " rule " or even create the lines themselves. Glad thats not my job, I can accept a Service client from wherever they come from!

Existing clients can still buy, they just can't hem haw anymore, if you one, sign up! ( I mean this in the most respectful way ) SE cars I am sure are still relationship based, but still someone walks in with the money, and willingness to " buy in " I can't see anyone turning them away ( in market that is )

IMO Ferrari SpA wants more new owners in the family ,some to replace those that are aging out, etc.

Some complain they can't get one
    Others complain they don't want one
    There is always going to be someone not happy IMO

Like I said above, I'm just happy that there are no restrictions on where Service cars come in from, we want to help them all!

Steve

TheMayor likes this.