Will Chevrolet be showing the 2020 mid engined Corvette anywhere at Monterey? | FerrariChat

Will Chevrolet be showing the 2020 mid engined Corvette anywhere at Monterey?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bitzman, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Maybe the dream car lawn at Pebble but I wonder if they will seize the opportunity to grab the attention of would be Ferrari owners by having a media party, a soiree of any type, anywhere else on the peninsula from say the 14th through the 18th of August? I imagine I'll even see GM executives driving them as I did when the Cadillac XLR came out and they were gadding about near the Del Monte Lodge

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. 328gts1987

328gts1987 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Can anyone help me out finding some car-brand-centre's during Car-week? I found (by shear luck) McLaren in the hill's driving back from Laguna in 2017. However if you traveling from Europe and not familiar USA dealers it is not easy to find the "hot-spots"
    See many cars (test?)drive during carweek and would love to try a Maserati or check-out this new kid on the block corvette.
    Only thing, where are the centre's/villa's etc.
    Bugatti, RollsRoyce, Pagani and Lamborghini also have some "mansions" around. Any adresses known for 2019?

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The Bentley house is in Pebble on the same road that passes the glass Mercedes Benz building and about 200 ft, later winds up leading to the Del Monte Lodge, Bentley House between the Media building on the way to Del monte Lodge. Supposedly you have to have arranged with your dealer to visit but last year I was walking by Bentley House and though I wasn't on the list , they had no visitors so they beckoned my party to come in. Good food but only served on napkins. How much food can you put on a bloody napkin? They let me drive a Continental convertible and i think I scared the ride-along host just a tad. I took my wifes picture with Arnold Schwarzenegger. The Rolls mansion is much more spectacular, right on the water. Last year I didn't get invited. It's liike Gatsby would have. McLaren had a building in Carmel Valley but I went a day early and was too busy to go back on the right day. Bugatti has a party in a part of the Lodge but pretty tough to get invited BMW has a rented house near the Rolls House but no markings--you just have to be one street over from the perimeter road of houses on the water and look on the inland side for a front yard with 50 BMWs. They were friendly, inviting me in without advance letters. I might add i dressed well so I would fit in--it kills me that so many go up to Monterey wearing baggy shorts, shoes without socks and wrinkled short sleeve shirts and expect to be invited to tony parties. I am with a party of four so I know it's going to be tough to get invited in anywhere, I don't have enough clout with my party to get them to dress to the nines, two of them are on vaction from New York so can't be bothered.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. 328gts1987

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thx a lot, great help to find/spot those locations. Will send some emails just to be on the list, can help I understand.
    I agree that looking smart (not too smart) helps and hightens the feel of parties. Will brief after here what happend.
    Meanwhile I happy to have tickets in for Quail, Pebble and Mc Call.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Del Monte Lodge? It's called the Lodge at Pebble Beach for those that went `huh?' when reading your post.

And BMW hasn't had a house near the Lodge since 2017. I'm waiting for my invite to this year's event to see where it'll be. Last year's event at a house in Tehama near Quail was a fiasco (I didn't attend, but that's what I heard), probably partially because you had to be shuttled to the site from Quail Lodge.

7. 328gts1987

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Gentlemen, Can it be both lodges are in the same estate? When I google it shows the same area.
    I am learning brands are not always in the same spot? Please post the adres when you got your invite, thx.

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    When I went to the Petersen Museum Corvette cruise in yesterday in Los Angeles and there was a spokesman for Chevrolet who said the new Corvette C8 will he shown at Monterey, But since he has never been there before, he didn't know the name of the event. I asked if it was "on the dream car lawn at Pebble Beach" and he seemed to agree with that though he wasn't sure where the venue was other than being on the Monterey Peninsula.A lot of automakers vie to be on that precious piece of turf i front of The Lodge. Usually it's a mix of concept cars and the first of a new production car. Anybody know what automakers pay to be on that piece of hallowed ground? This is not part of the judged concours--just an "appetite whetter" to get people enthused about ponying up for the $300 plus ticket. On the other hand it could be at a private party, but I'm betting the dream car lawn. Still, the private party would make the new Corvette seem more oh-so-exclusive because then you'd have to be "in the know" to get invited. I'll be there with my painting of the C8 in Paris. Why Paris? Well, i think the real game changer will be when C8s start being seen all over Europe...

of2worlds likes this.
  9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    In past years when I got an invite, the Rolls house was on the water, in Pebble, with a curving driveway but all visitors and to have their cars remotely parked. The BMW house had room for visitors to park on the property and was a walking distance away, but not on the water. RR and BMW are related so it makes sense their parties would be close.

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I heard from a member at The Club at Pasadera this past week that they're this year's site for the BMW Villa for 3 days. Not sure how that'll work that Fri since Pasadera hosts Legends of the Autobahn.

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    That name Pasadena confuses everyone because you think of the town of Pasadena. I don't see why BMW couldn't be at a corner of that even since plenty of BMWs have graced the autobahn. In fact being near that show will get them crossover German car fans who only know Porsches or Mercedes.

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    It's Pasadera, not Pasadena. And if you didn't know, it's close to the back entrance of Laguna Seca on Highway 68.

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    if anyone hears of a location that the C8 corvette will be shown during car week please post it...

of2worlds likes this.
  14. GaryK

GaryK Karting

Aug 23, 2011
    California
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The 2020 Corvette will be able to be seen August 15 & 16, 2019 - Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, Salinas CA - Laguna Seca display in the paddock

Gary K

DRYHOLE, of2worlds and LARRYH like this.
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Thanks Gary I will be there

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Thursday and Friday? That seems odd. They must showing it elsewhere Saturday and Sunday. Sorry I’ll miss it; I’ll be at the track only on Saturday.

Ford revealed the new GT at the track on a Saturday a couple of years ago.

17. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    they have one grey Corvette and a cutaway display car showing a nekkid Corvette at Laguna Seca Raceway, in the paddock garages. Very nice display! I'll try to post a few photos if my bad internet allows me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
  19. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    LARRYH and Il Tifoso like this.
  20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I will head out their tomorrow to see it

21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow! Cool! Looks like an interesting display.

Do you know if it is staying there through the weekend? (I am only going to the track on Saturday.)

22. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    When a manufacturer rents a garage space, they always seem to stay for the full event, so I am guessing it will be there until late Sunday.

butcher likes this.
  23. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    The C8 at Laguna Seca impressed the he k out of me
    The fit and finish seemed to be excellent
    And the engineering that must have been put into this car is very nice
    Truck space is enormous
    Interiot space is fine, not huge but acceptable
    Colors are great
    Looks is nice
    The only drawback in my view is the engine down and deep, totally out of reach for any DIY'rs at home
    It woyldnt surprise me engine drop will be required for anything other than fluids change

JimEakin likes this.
  24. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The C8 at Monterey was awesome. I can see it being competition for an F430 spider.

25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It was pretty cool to see the car on Saturday. Very nicely done.

One of the people answering questions about the car was Tristen Murphy who was the lead designer for the interior. We got to talking and I had a long chat with him. There was such a swirl of hysteria around the car, I don’t know why he gave me so much time. He had incredible pride and enthusiasm and it was so cool to get the inside scoop on what that job was like.

I think he and his team did a fantastic job with the interior. The craftsmanship certainly is far above that of any prior Corvettes. Very nice. The whole car looks fantastic actually.

JimEakin likes this.