Will Ferrari respond to The Senna and should they? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari respond to The Senna and should they?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If there is someone milking it here don’t think it’s Ferrari

markonex and F140C like this.
  2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    No need to directly respond. McLaren creates some interesting products and I understand their appeal. For their customer base that likes things more evolutionary the Senna is just another expression of that theme. They do a great job addressing that market. As for Ferrari, they have a spectacular product portfolio and I have no reason to believe that their future offerings will be anything less than spectacular. Despite a certain number of detractors on here, the truth is that Ferrari’s business is the envy of the industry. The last thing they should do is hastily rush silly and outlandish product to market simply to respond. It reminds me of when Lamborghini unveiled the Veneno in Geneva in the shadows of the LaFerrari. The contrast couldn’t have been more stark. Ferrari should stick to superb product development, a continued commitment to leading technologies, classic, and elegant designs with modern and aggressive tones.

Juvendude, F140C, stavura and 2 others like this.
  3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    If the VS Ferrari doesn't outperform the regular production Mac equivalent, Geneva is going to be biggest meh for Ferrari in a while.

4. bonneau13

bonneau13 Karting

Oct 18, 2009
    California
    It’s doubtful it will honestly, the 720s is producing closer to 780-790 HP actually, that carbon tub and everything, Ferrari would have to do crazy stuff to catch up. The replacement of the 488 better step up big time

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I honestly couldn’t care less if it beats the 720 by a handful of HP. Of course the car is going to have insane performance capabilities. Does anyone seriously think it won’t? That is a given. The question is, how will it look.

Juvendude and F140C like this.
  6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    The simple fact that we are wishing for the 488VS to match the 720 is proof enough that McLaren have done something right. The 720 is indeed a spectacular car and -engine sound apart- a better performer than any Ferrari V8 so far. One drive will convince you. The badge is simply not at the same level and it will take decades for McLaren to acquire the same level of charisma as Ferrari, but I fear that unless our beloved brand moves its V8 production to carbon tubs and takes McLaren on properly, we will watch the gap increase. As I said before the Senna is irrelevant to Ferrari, but the 720-488VS comparison isn’t and once the VS is out, McLaren will launch the LT

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Already?

Given the stunning performance of the base 488, which recently won another award as best driver car by Motortrend, nobody with some grey matter can possibly doubt it.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The question is "how will it drive?". ;)

GHG likes this.
  9. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
  10. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a feeling this higher priced space created by McLaren will not go unanswered in some form.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The Ferrari V12 LEs space in the 1.0-1.5M range so the question was answered on the first page (that is if you are using a 3M value for Laf as it was given).

Ferrari does not have to worry about Mac unless Mac inks a deal with Pininfarina and you know exactly what I'm talking about!!!

12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I don't think ferrari has to worry about mac at all as the era of ferrari having the best lap times and performance has gone now and the image / fun of driving fcars overrides anything else, they will continue to sell strongly.

I do think the SUV is a bad move though. I kind of understand the Lambo SUV because of the audi association (but I still think it may damage the brand)

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There is a lot of kool aid out there, drink up. To the masses Ferrari is top dog but to the real buyers of $300k+ cars we have options. This is not to say that Ferrari won't step up, they will and they have to. Admittedly Ferrari still makes the most beautiful cars, they just need to step it up a bit in other areas.

14. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  15. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    Execpt for The 488 gte is base on their mid engine "unlimited production car". The problem is that technology is ridiculously fast now that we are seeing cars being outdated very fast. Even Porsche's ultimate flagship 918 nurburgring record gotten fair and square beaten by it's own lesser counterpart gt2 rs. Question is it possible that Ferrari can beat Mclaren's Senna? Very Yes. Can they maintain that advantage for longer periods of time? Maybe if they update the car like Nissan does to the gtr or Pagani with it's Zonda and it's variants. Can they stop it from being surpassed quickly from newer launches every year? That's a harder question that Ferrari has to be thinking about if they want to go into another segment. Lap times get broken every year now and it's not going to stop anytime soon.

The likelihood that the Senna will beaten by another car would be within a year or two judging the way technology is going so ridiculously fast. Even P1 modified car gotten quickly smashed by the same gt2 rs that beaten the 918. The lap time debate is hot but I think it's pointless when set ups have to be concerned and major leaps of performance have to be seen to be justified for it to be proof. I see Ferrari being right in their statement regardless of the negative they had of non doing these lap time hot laps that every big media seems obsessed with. It's hard to do it when technology is so fast flying that launch of the car becomes outdated fast.

And I think Ferrari will probably bring a more powerful car to GTE if Senna does come.

16. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Finally the Senna GTR will not be a GTE, it will be a track version.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The GT-R is a more agressive, powerful, modified version of the Senna, which will produce up to 1,000kg of downforce, 200kg more than the road car. It’s set to produce the “quickest McLaren lap times outside of Formula 1, and become “the fastest sportscar McLaren has ever built”.
    The McLaren Senna GTR shares its 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine with the road-legal McLaren Senna, but with a horsepower increase to at least 825PS making it faster than the road model in a straight line.
    Further alterations for the McLaren Senna GTR include the additional benefit of a race-style transmission, revised double-wishbone suspension, Pirelli slick tyres, and a new wheel design developed specifically for circuit use.
    Up to 75 examples of the GT-R will be produced in Woking, England during 2019.
    As it stands, like the P1 GT-R before it, there are no confirmed plans for the Senna GT-R to race.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/03/06/mclaren-senna-gt-r-launched.html

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    What it needs is an invisibility cloak so we don't have to look at the damn thing.

stavura and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  18. Tifosi Ferrari

Apr 28, 2017
    McCaren just drove media outlets into the distance. So is this going to replace the p1 gtr or supplement the car? And Ferrari has no worries with this. The new Astron Martin for pro range Valkaryire Pro is more impressive and probably a far bigger worry since it's aero is helped by Adrian Newey.

19. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with you the Aston Martin is really fantastic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NürScud likes this.
  20. DeFerrariman

DeFerrariman Rookie

Nov 26, 2017
    i dont think they will respont to the Senna . and they dont have to . the mclaren is by far the ugliest car i have ever seen . by this thing a fiat multipla is a piece of art . i dont even care how fast it is

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    They did - in 2013, with the LaFerrari. Call it preemptive. Let McLaren have better lap times, etc. Who cares. The LaFerrari is the platinum standard of supercars currently. I suspect it will remain that way until the next Ferrari supercar.

22. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    mclaren- aston they're trying to impress the millennial fan-boys, not the actual owners. the senna itself was not unveiled in a big-event,moreover they presented the senna gtr. suddenly it takes away all the attention from normal senna. after 2-3 years they'll come up with a 3 seater and may be a rece version of it. these are enough for devaluaing the previous models. as for aston we haven't seen the actual car yet!

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If you are talking about those silly N'Ring official times, they are meaningless. Different days, different drivers, no repeatability, too many variables. The Ring is not a good metric of a car's performance. Regarding the GT2 vs the 918 for example, it's mostly down to the trick tyres of the new cars that are vastly more grippy. Fitted with same tyres it should be the quicker car, as should the P1.

Regardless of all these though, the Senna is an Ultimate Series model, a track focused hypercar in other words, that has spawned a track version (like the FXXK). It's not meant for GTE racing.

Tifosi Ferrari likes this.
  24. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I know we are all Ferrari fans here, but unless you are too you are too young to remember, there was this car called the....P1 :D

25. Tifosi Ferrari

Apr 28, 2017
    My point exactly most just brag about those when viables are too much to account for to compare. Every track time is hard to master about with comparisons when every car has differences that changes things too much.

Also regarding the Senna can't be gte the mc12 which was base off the Enzo which was the flagship of Maserati did go gt racing. Of which it outright smash everything in its category for a quite few straight years in fact. Won championships for straight years even with rules tried to beat it down. That was limited edition like the Senna is touted to be yet it went racing and even made a Corsa le version just to get it officaled to go into the category. So it'll be interesting and nice to see if Ferrari can do one also bring it to gt racing like a Laferrari GTE to be a successor to the mc12 gt machine.