Will Ferrari respond to The Senna and should they? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari respond to The Senna and should they?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    The Porsche seems more like leader than the Mclaren p1. Out of the three I definitely take the Laferrari 1st. It's impressive considering the tech on it like not a lot of active aero and fancy tech execpt hybird yet still able to be close to the lap times of both tech monsters down to .hundredth, 1 or 2 tenths between the 3. I personally take the Porsche 918 next as it seems way more impressive of a beast than the Mclaren P1 is.

2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I know it's expensive and was produced in low numbers but the p1 gtr lm is still the fastest road legal car around the ring and other circuits, it was 14 seconds faster than the 918.

either way we are in exciting times with the AMG Project One, Valkyrie and Senna/BP23 ahead of us, all of which will push the boundaries imo.

ferrari don't need to respond as they are making great cars and are in demand

3. Tifosi Ferrari

Apr 28, 2017
    That p1 has never been taken seriously by anyone. It toke an even more powerful p1 to beat the normal 918. Even then the car is not even called production with only 5 examples being made of that version. Plus it's done by a aftermarket specialty which converted a McClaren gtr track only car and not a road car version being used.

4. Tifosi Ferrari

Apr 28, 2017
    Ferrari will probably look at Project one (duh Mercedes F1 are their prime F1 competition the car also has the proper F1 engine) and the Aston Martin car (cause Newey designed obviously is labeled as revolutionary to most and definitely something nobody would dare estimate when someone like him is designing it) as prime competition. The Senna not so much I don't think. They will respond to these two as it is probably the strongest for them to respond.

5. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The more I see Senna's and the various models the more I like it. I remember when the TR7 came out, "the shape of things to come." Not one of my friends liked it yet I did. And guess what? It was the shape of cars moving forward.

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The TR7 came after the X1/9, which was an incredibly successful car. Around 1979 I'd see one very few blocks!

Also, I test drove a TR7 at the time, and thought it was heavy and awkward. The X1/9 handled like a dream. It would kill Corvettes in tight Gymkhana courses.

Lotaz likes this.
  7. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I think the Senna GTR was eclipsed in Geneva by the AM-RB offering.

The brutality of the Senna’s look in order to get the desired downforce and weight reduction, in AM form, became beauty once again.

Naturally aspirated 12-cylinder with red line over 11,000?! . More horse power than kilograms?! More downforce than weight? Oh my glorious goodness!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly!

9. Tifosi Ferrari

Apr 28, 2017
    #84 Tifosi Ferrari, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    That's someone who is definitely completing in one of the fastest series to REALLY show how you make an entrance especially from a man like him. Adrian is someone you would bank on to have a great showing no matter what. And these stats are amazing. This will probably eat every track record if the stats hold true. Definitely this and the PISTA are the highlights of the Geneva show in my opinion.

Edit: Also 3 g of force now definitely that's near f1 territory. I think this will probably be the new track only car to beat honestly. This makes the Senna look tame in camparsion. Looks like the Fxxk Evo may need to be upgraded way more to best this cause the AM Pro looks atmosphere insane.

10. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    More of the Valkyrie and Senna GTR here:

Both cars are impressive

11. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    First test drives are online:

12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The McLaren Senna looks amazing! Anyway, Ferrari is always upping their game regardless of what other manufacturers do. So, sit back and enjoy it.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  13. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Or least favorite car youtube posted this statement a little while ago:

I know from a news sites that Porsche are making their next hypercar EV, but what about Ferrari? Anyone know if its true or not? I seriously hope not.

14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I would think we'd get at least one more V12 hybrid, but ten years from now, maybe all electric.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I hope you’re correct.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    So true.
    I would buy that car for the name alone: VALKYRIE!

17. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    Ferrari's response will be the all electric super car that will do 225 mph.

18. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

#93 Red Sled, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    I thought it may be worth resurrecting Tim’s original question in light of:
    1) Unveiling of Ferrari’s 5 year plan
    2) Accumulated experience behind the wheel of the Senna
    3) Last night’s preview of the McLaren Speedtail which adds another dimension to the question

As a driving focused dyed in the wool Ferrarista, my main interest is F-cars that offer a unique experience behind the wheel. To me the F40/F50 era is special, and have been searching for a modern day road car that offers the same underlying diamond edged focus that rewards driver commitment and skill without rounding off the sharp edges. After a few weeks of familiarisation, the Senna is a car that fits that bill for me. Exiting the car covered in sweat, head still spinning having reached a new level of driving nirvana, it reminds me of every track outing in the F40, of course all updated for 2018 with a great deal more power, downforce, braking and safety. The car is lightweight, functionally minimalist, and the styling is very much function over form, as was the case 30 years ago.

With the 5 year plan now unveiled, my question is, is such a car part of the plan? The new rear mid-engined car in the lineup (sitting above the 488) may be slated to provide this kind of experience, but seems more likely to be a “regular” model.

The McLaren Speedtail unveil yesterday throws up another interesting avenue: a 1035hp hybrid/1430kg/400kmh 3 seater that eschews the current trend of functional, aero-led industrial design of their current models for a streamlined tear drop that recalls the elegance of the XJ220. In some ways, it is McLaren’s Monza SP, broadly building on the heritage of the F1, but in reality is an all new car packing significant development – particularly flexible integrated aero surfaces in the tail and carbon-titanium materials, and moves the game forward for McLaren. Will the next Icona models be the platform for some of the newer Ferrari technology or will it remain a limited R&D, high margin product as it currently appears to be?

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I tend to believe that it will be the latter. Ferrari have said that the Icona series will re-interpret classical themes, based though on regular production models. So, the mid-engine car that will sit above the 488 and the new hypercar are the ones expected to move the game forward.

PS: Is the Senna too compromised as a road car?

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the Senna is a special car for sure. looking forward to the speedtail too :)

21. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    the term "regular production model" was not mentioned in the slides. for future iconas, i think the base car and production numbers will ( and need to) depend on what car they're going to interpret. there are some classics which ( their interpretation) require laferrari like chassis, performance and very limited number (>500). they could also build track-only iconas

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I believe that the carbon shell and top of the line tech will remain privileges of the hypercars.

23. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Enrico Galliera Chief Marketing Officer of Ferrari said:
    "One is what we call our top-of the-range model, that we don't have at the moment, that will come very soon, that is set to deliver uncompromised performance. What we are planning to have is something that will be a real supercar even though [it's in] the standard range."

He is referring to the new (above the 488) mid-engine supercar as real supercar, which in Ferrari`s terminology means cars like LaF, Enzo, F50 etc.. The 488 is considered as a sports car by Ferrari.
    So if they are talking about a supercar in the standard range that might be what here for most of the time is considered as hypercar.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There will still be a limited production halo car. They will just add another model, below the halo car and above the 488. A kind of new age Testarossa.

25. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

An interesting question. Based on my experience so far, I would say the car really makes sense on the track. It seems happy enough on the road, but with the brakes and tyres needing heat (and the tyres shed it it quickly on the road), the engine singing above 3.8-4k rpm only, to use the car on the road as intended is quite hard. For me it is best thought of as a turn-key track car that you can drive straight from home to the track, do the tyre pressures, warm up, and away you go. And to have that level of ability and focus on track, and yet be road legal for the journey home is quite special.

It is a totally different type of car to a Speciale/720 or a LaFerrari for that matter. A greater proportion of those cars' ability can be enjoyed on the road and they perform well on the track. But the Senna experience really comes alive on the track, and there it is mind-bending.

REALZEUS likes this.