Will Ferrari respond to The Senna and should they? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari respond to The Senna and should they?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    No halo car within the next five years. But a supercar as a standard range model.

2. EmreT

EmreT Karting

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emre
    Well, I believe, like most of the people here, that they do not have to respond. But, Ferrari has an image in all of our minds and that image reflects the brand which almost always set the benchmark for others. When F40 hit the roads, it shook everbody, or when Enzo was unveiled, it looked like anything that did not look like a car. The aero work on Enzo was quite hard to top for many brands for some time. Even the standard mid engine Ferraris were the one to look at. The dual clutch and athletism of 458 impressed everybody, and again, set the benchmark in that range.

Looking at the market today, things have reached to a stupid level. The Valkyrie, Senna GTR, Mercedes Project One, etc. A top manufacturer like Ferrari takes its profits as its priority, that's for sure. And this is what they really care. Their profit is solid; they can easily earn more than anyone when they wish. New Icona series directly serves for that purpose I think. But, imho, what made Ferrari the top dog in the last 25-30 years is that it was always the one to look at or to top. Today, things changed and there are quite some cars Ferrari should overthrow. Do they have to? No. Should they? Yes. Why? Because, Ferrari is Ferrari. They were the pioneers and they should keep it that way. The image of Ferrari arose from the years they pioneered F1 and other road machines. In my humble opinion, if they wish to keep that image which I think they should, they should pioneer again.

Twosherpaz and nmcclure like this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    @ Red Sled: Thank you for your reply sir!

@ red passion: We are basically saying the same thing, even though one could say that most Ferraris are supercars.

4. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Sure, in common sense all Ferraris are supercars and I agree with what you are saying. I just wanted to stress, that Ferrari itself has a very own way of defining their types of cars. That means if they are telling the truth the new car would be more a LaF than a 488 kind of car.

REALZEUS likes this.
  5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont understand why Ferrari doesnt do a last v12 supercar that would be all out considering buyers are willing to pay $2m, $3m and more. Surely they could make a run of 100 cars, 1200hp, 1000kgs with a high revving v12 based on previous F1 engines. Or even a NA V10..

444sp and Frenzisko like this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari said that the next hypercar will come after 2022, because they want to it be a huge technological leap forward. At any rate, it won 't have anything to do with the Senna.

7. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Senna is already old news compared to the Valkyrie or AMG ONE. It's not in the same category.

BMW.SauberF1Team and REALZEUS like this.
  8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    .... And it's still hideous!

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  9. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

My sense is Ferrari is focused on a technological statement with the next halo cars, and a Senna competitor is not part of that strategy. The Senna's strengths are an uncompromising focus on braking and cornering on track. That function over form has resulted in a simple car (some dynamic aero aside) but with looks that only its maker could love. The philosophically closest Ferrari road car is the F40. When I took my F40 and Senna for a back to back track session, I was amazed how similar their personalities are even if 30 years of progress means they are a world apart in performance.

If Ferrari made such a car, I would buy one in a heart beat. When I and some fellow old-school types have discussed a Senna-competitor with Ferrari, it was apparent that, for them, this segment was addressed a long time ago with the F40/F50 and today's halo cars need to be more of a technological showcase for the future line up. As such, I expect that they will be more all round hypercars (Valyrie-beaters) than in the super-focused Senna mould with 1000+ hp. For the track enthusiasts, Ferrari's answer are the V12 specials (GTO/tdf) and the V8 specials. To me those cars are still primarily road cars with a track oriented set-up. They have (and seem to need) electronic driver aids that, to me at least, compromise the purity of a direct connection to the machine on track. Senna is closer to a turn-key track car with compromises for road-legality.

Personally, I would love the kind of car you describe, but it is hard to argue with the company's commercial strategy.

10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    good post.

the senna is a wonderful and relatively pure car compared to the tdf etc and doesn't feel as electronically dependent

I think Ferrari are going to struggle in matching or objectively beating the performance valkyrie and would be setting themselves up for failure if they made a statement to do so.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If Red Bull/Aston can make a car like the Valkyrie, so can Ferrari.

Makuono likes this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I hope so, I just think with adrian newey and a few other extremely clever minds at the helm the Valk and everything that trickles down into the AM03 will be something special.

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    What is a 'halo car'?

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Is this a rhetorical question?

If not, it's the car a manufacturer makes with a "spare no expense" attitude to show the public what they are capable of. It's to get people into the showroom to buy the "normal" car as if there is a link between the two other than the emblem on the cars. Although the halo car is technically obtainable and can be bought, it's already sold out via invitation.

The Valkyrie is an example and will likely be a reference standard for quite some time. The Senna is already yesterday's news as expected.

stavura and Remy Zero like this.
  15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    No it was a genuine question. I had no idea what it was until your explanation. Thank you so much ;)

16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yes, that is what i do not understand. I am sure most owners of the F40/50/Enzo/Laf would jump on such a car in a heartbeat. They could easily sell 100/200 of them at $2m or even $3m. Right now, that market is untouched by Ferrari unless you count the XX and SP cars. Not only would they make a ton of money but owners would be rewarded with a very special car. Right now if you are mostly a Ferrari fan, you cant really compete with the competition. Nothing from Ferrari can touch the Senna, Valkyrie, AMG One, Speedtail or the Kseggs...

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    We all know that Ferrari hypercars come once every 10 years or so; no big surprise there. They are launching the so called "Big Brother" though, in order to have a series production car with near-hypercar performance.

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I believe this (the car that i would like to see) would sit above the hypercar. Above a Laferrari.

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The next LaFerrari will be the car you want to see then.

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    so it's expected around 2023? that should give ferrari a couple of years of any advancements in technology on the Valk but I strongly doubt they'll get anywhere near the performance of it

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Why is that?

22. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    AM/Redbull just have too much of a headstart on things I reckon, current estimates are 30 seconds a lap faster than a senna/la/p1 etc around Spa

not that ferrari would even allow benchmark times to be published if they had a competitor coming out at the same time

23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Maybe one day AM/ Red Bull will begin road testing for the valkyrie ?
    Considering how tight the packaging is, I really doubt we could see a reliable car in the end ..

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari have time on their side, since their project is 4-5 years away from production. Also, making claims is one thing, delivering results though is a whole different one. This is going to be Aston's and RBR's first hypercar after all; they have a lot of things to learn. As they say in F1 "dismiss Ferrari at your peril". ;)

25. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    If we're talking about performance, then yes, the BB will sit above the LaFerrari.