Will I be happy with a 812 SF as a 458 owner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will I be happy with a 812 SF as a 458 owner

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Ngcanada, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    The 812 doesn’t lack anything. I just never loved the 488 like I did the 458.
    Ideally I’d like to add a 458 spider to the collection!

rob5819 likes this.
  2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    The short answer is a definitive NO!

458 owners are forever unhappy with anything else. :rolleyes:

rob5819 and LVP488 like this.
  3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    There have been some great comments in this thread. This is only my opinion. My Ferrari ownership started with the 360, then 2 F430's, the 458, 488 and now the 812. The F-430 three pedal car....I wish I still owned. Every time I upgraded there were some positives and fewer negatives. I will not argue that the sound in each upgrade was less than the prior models but still acceptable. I had the valves pinned open on the 488 and was satisfied. Great performance over the 458 but not perfect. For me, I do not travel and have long drives in my cars. I like to drive and return to home but if that was not the case the 812 is fantastic. It sounds great while in the plus 4k rpm range but I do not hit that very often. I felt that I might really miss my 488 before the 812 arrived and that was the case. I miss the pinpoint accuracy and as one here put it, you think about turning, the V-8 Ferrari's start turning. There is nothing else like it. Fortunately the 812 has rear steering which makes the 812 seem like a shorter car. To sum it up, I missed the 488 to a point that I looked and looked for another like the one I had and was unsuccessful and ordered the F-8. For my situation, I am fortunate to be able to have both as I feel that the 812 and F-8 might be the last of unassisted gas powered engines. I would not suggest short test drives and really think about the two different drives. Take your time, but be careful to trade the 458 as you might really regret it.

dustman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Just wait until you experience the 812 from 4000 RPM and higher, its insane.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

KarlA69, italiafan and Thecadster like this.
  5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The 812 is comfortable hypercar in GT guise that can play the super sports car when needed. The 458/88/F8 is a super sports car that can play the GT as needed. Both are entertaining but from different ends of the spectrum that meet in the middle.
    Another way to look at it is the 812 is the mature stronger big brother to the 458/88/F8 being the younger more lithe little brother.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  6. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    Excellent analogy. If one like myself already has the dedicated track weapon like drives like a scalpel, would this be an excellent pickup where the other leaves off?

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IMO, yes. if you already have a brilliant sports car like 458, then adding a GT cruiser like F12/812 can be fun.
    Very different experiences.
    Personally I think the CS and 458s sound better than the 12’s inside the cabin. FWIW.