Will I be happy with a GranSport?? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Will I be happy with a GranSport??

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rzundel, Feb 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    The granturismo S exhaust is simply divine in sport mode.

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I totally agree!
    With regard to the V8 exhaust sound Ferrari can still learn from Maserati. ;)

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I do agree. Sad thing is my wife's Abarth sounds best of all my cars stock. :eek:

4. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Thank you for the info Rob. 55k carefree miles sounds like a win!

5. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Guys
    Im looking at an 04 Spyder GT with the manual stick shift trans. Anyone have any experiences with them? Any input? Will be driven by wife mostly but by me as well occasionally.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It wouldn't be a GranSport. I don't think the manual would have any of the similar F1 clutch problems of earlier cars.

7. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    #132 Maserati Blue, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Being a manual, it means its a regular 4200 Spyder. Nice car and without too many problems, its actually quite reliable (4200 engine and manual).

The usual known issues are mostly related to the soft hood. Half the time it won't work right. Either won't go down completely, or won't "lock" when going up. It will also rub against various parts of the electrical mechanism and create holes. A new soft hood, from a dealer, will cost a bit more than the whole car is worth. But there are cheaper alternatives, like having someone stitch a new one.

Another issue, is the interior plastics, which will get "sticky". One solution is to buy new parts (4k for the entire interior plastics), or buy carbon fibre alternatives.

Since the car is "old-ish", the navigation is outdated, so an aftermarket gadget is more usable, if you need navigation.

Make sure the interior is impeccable, its really hard to recover them. Deferred maintenance will make the car more expensive in the long run, so buy a car that has been loved by the previous owner. Usually people who have no idea what Maserati is all about, are a dead giveaway to walk away. Many good cars are owned by people who are also members of some kind of car club.

Good luck :)

PS:
    In case you get confused about the dash/console buttons. Early models (around <=2004) did not have MSP (Maserati Stability Program) but only ASR. Thus, those models have an "ASR" button instead of an "MSP" button. Also, the optional electronic Skyhook suspension is fitted in most models, in that case you'll see a "Sport" button and the suspension dampers will have some extra electrical wiring. Cars without Skyhook have a "Power" button instead.

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    What does the FD DBW do exactly?

And how much is it and installation?

Also, is there an ECU change that improves the clutch engagement and life?

Finally, anyone know of a product that will modify the sport button function such that the clutch is quickened but the shocks stay soft and the exhaust stay quiet? (I'd like better shifting but not the boomy exhaust nor the firmer suspension sometimes).

thanks for all the great info in this tread.

The only very small contribution I can add is that I switched to Michelin pilot super sport tires and they are amazing on the GS...better traction, quiet and smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    DBW tricks the ECU into thinking the throttle postion is more than it is, so everything engages quicker and more aggressively. Simple concept once you hear the engineering, but worth every cent. Car launches much better. To answer your other question in theory and many say practice, the clutch will last longer with DBW. I don't know yet, my stock clutch went 45k miles and still wasn't too bad.

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

They are fun cars. Especially the F1 version. High build quality.

11. Lotusesprit

Lotusesprit Rookie

Nov 18, 2014
    Ohio
    Hey all, first post to Fchat, long time reader. I am not a huge forum contributor as I own cars from many different brands and the time required to really dedicate to a forum is pretty huge. However, Fchat and this thread in particular have just been spectacular. I picked up a 2005 26k miles GranSport about a month ago now and I could not be more pleased. The value is absolutely immense . The engine, steering , and shockingly... Build quality are all outstanding and really has the feel of a modern exotic for half or LESS than what you would spend for say a 550 or Db9. If you haven't driven one or are on the fence and have been casually perusing threads as I had been ... Stop looking and just buy one. They are fantastic cars. Anyway. Really just wanted to say thanks to all the Fchaters who have put in all the time on this thread. Cheers!

12. Duber

Duber Rookie

Jan 18, 2015
    Kiev, Ukraine
  13. ebersoldt

ebersoldt Rookie

Nov 27, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian Ebersoldt
    There is no special kit available. Only the clutch discs is one complete part with the clutch pressure plate.

But release bearing, flywheel and F1/position sensor are separate parts.

What you need depends on the condition of these parts or how much your price per hour is.

Often the release bearing will crack before your second clutch kit is worn. Then you have to do the same work again. In my opinion not worth the money.

Best Florian

14. trustno1

trustno1 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2011
    nth boring
    Full Name:
    IN COGNITO
    One common point of failure is the pressure plate - the "fingers" have a tendency to collapse - not necessarily mileage related.

Alternate part is the pressure plate from the F430 which although a slightly different finger pattern but still compatible - currently installed in a vehicle and is performing well

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    welcome.

16. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Just purchased a low mile 2006 GranSport LE .... I am hoping that my experience will be consistent with the great reviews in this thread. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Since it seems to be so closely related to the F430, I want to share drives with a friend who has a very nice Ferrari F430...just to see "how" closely related.

:)

John

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The GranSport pushes like a pig stock, but with FD springs and sway bars it is now stiffer and handles better than my 355 Challenge. I would have preferred something more in-between for the street though. :)

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Oh puleeze, Rob!

19. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    John, any impressions to share yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's true, the GranSport now oversteers, the Challenge is setup perfect. If I had the time I would play with alignment and other settings to neutralize the GranSport, but honestly it will scare the **** out of anyone that doesn't know better or maybe I should say knows better.

21. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    The GranSport is an amazing car. Definitively the last 'true' sports car produced by Maserati.

Also, I have a couple of questions to ask about the Formula Dynamics springs and sway bars:

I believe the sway bars come with two settings (one more aggressive & one less so?). If so, which is better?
    What ride height does FD recommended for lowering with the springs?

Many thanks :)

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like my new ride height, it is about perfect. Like I said the car is too stiff unless just doing track events. I would have to go back and look what I got, you can ask Formula Dynamics what they did for my car. FYI Formula Dynamics is no longer a FerrariChat sponsor.

23. ges11t

ges11t Rookie

Jul 2, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Oscar W
    #148 ges11t, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Maser fans,

Introduction: my name is Oscar and I live in Sydney Australia. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. As a result of reading this forum (specifically this thread) plus other due diligence, I've pulled the trigger in getting myself a maser.

The details are as follows and some pics as well. Some constructive comments are all welcome. Condition IMO is very good considering its age, no mods all stock, owned by an elderly gentlemen who takes good care of it. I had the option of getting the black but decided on the blue. As there are too many black maseratis on the road, where this blue is rare and it's just stunning plus I love the colour of the interior. The car is being fully inspected as we speak, if it passes then we'll do the settlement. Trying to hold back the excitement while at work :)

2007 Maserati Gransport LE
    Exterior Blue with Light Grey Interior
    46,800 km (29 080 miles)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks really nice!! Don't hold back on the excitement ! Blue is the new black.

Ivan

25. ges11t

ges11t Rookie

Jul 2, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Oscar W
    #150 ges11t, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Thanks Ivan, yeah I don't usually like blue cars but it was love at first sight :). Apparently it's one of maserati's traditional colours. The other one is red but that's now taken by ferrari. Thank God, no sticky buttons and only done 9000 km (5500 miles) since last clutch replacement.