Will I be happy with a GranSport?? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Will I be happy with a GranSport??

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rzundel, Feb 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efe360

efe360 Formula Junior

May 19, 2008
    barcelona
    Full Name:
    F
    #176 efe360, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    johnei and TBigs like this.
  2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #177 Mexico074, Nov 18, 2015
    Here is my latest acquisition (2006 GS)...

Got her in August.. Color is either Eldorado Bianco or Bianco Eldorado!!!
    She's got some CF in her!..

Having been mostly an older car guy, I am still getting used to her...
    She is fast!! Jury is still out, however!

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

TBigs and MrMark like this.
  3. ges11t

ges11t Rookie

Jul 2, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Oscar W
    #178 ges11t, Nov 18, 2015
    TBigs likes this.
  4. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Wow Oscar, love the colour.

Have had a look at the ART cf parts but honestly prefer the OEM items with matching 1x1 weave.

5. ges11t

ges11t Rookie

Jul 2, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Oscar W
    Yes, that's the first thing everyone comment on, the colour :). How do you like the black rims? It was a hard decision but I wanted to make it look more sporty.

ART is in Melbourne, ask for Alvin. He's got a Gransport and you can see all the CF parts. I bought the paddle shifter and engine cover, rear spoiler is on order. Sure OEM looks better but at double the price?

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Oscar...

Love the blue, not so sure about the bkack rims! I have always been more of a fan of
    the brighter rims! But what's most important is that you like it and that it makes your
    heart race a bit when you see her, and of course drive her!

Mike

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Great looking cars. The Fuji white and Bordeaux GS looks stunning from the rear.

8. MaseratiCorse

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Regarding wheel colour, I personally love the OE Grigio Mercury but as others have said as long as you are happy... :) And that isn't to say black doesn't look bad! Just not my first choice.

I have met Alvin and seen his car and can attest to the quality but their are just a couple of things that would agitate my OCD... ;)

9. ges11t

ges11t Rookie

Jul 2, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Oscar W
    Yes it is quite subjective but I would comment it would look brilliant on your car with the black and white contrast.

10. ges11t

ges11t Rookie

Jul 2, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Oscar W
    Well I decided on black because of the GT but I've seen some black on black, that's too much.

Can't say that I like all of his mods, like the 3200 tail lights :) but CF is CF in my book. Anyway, guys at the concours (a couple of weeks ago) seems to love it ;).

11. rnp614

rnp614 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008
    NE
    Any updates from you owners? Looking at 2006 GS's currently...so tempting.

Also curious to hear from those that owned 360 Modenas. How do the F1 transmissions compare?

12. MaseratiCorse

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Ask Rob Lay. GS F1 is a great gearbox for its time and on full throttle basically instant. This is further improved by the FD DBWEM.

13. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    +1

The DBW is a great mod for more aggressive shifts and seems to improve clutch life too.

Also, rnp614, if you do buy a GS then make sure you take the time to learn the F1 and drive the car sympathetically, like you would a stick. Then you'll enjoy the F1. But if you drive the car like an automatic (i.e. not paying attention to shift timing), you will likely be disappointed; it is not an automatic nor does it work like one (even in automatic mode). It is a great car for an enthusiast, maybe not so much for others, which seems to be why Maserati moved to automatic transmissions. They know their market.

johnei likes this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    exactly, clutch will last 30-40K+ miles and the DBW is a great improvement for feel and clutch life. I love driving this car so much.

15. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Another data point: with DBW, a pretty aggressive PIS setting, and driving it like a stick, my last clutch reading was 6.9% wear after about 7,000 miles on my new clutch. You can do the math. :D

16. rnp614

rnp614 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008
    NE
    Anyone care to comment on how it seems vs the 360 modena? (the transmission)

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I never drove a 360 F1, but pretty sure it is clunky compared to the GranSport F1. F1 has advanced so much every generation you can tell a huge difference.

18. rnp614

rnp614 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008
    NE
    Thank you so much for your feedback and all of your contributions in this thread. It really did help!

19. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have had my GranSport for 4 years. I am second owner, bought with 24,000 miles on the odometer in 2012

It is my DD and now has 56,000 miles. Year round usage. Chicago roads and weather. Children drive it too.

Clutch wear has been limited and was about 30% last time the dealer checked it. I don't bother to ask now. I think original clutch.

Only major issue was needing rear lower control arms. I guess the bushings wore and the only fix was new ones. $6k, ouch.

Still puts a smile on my face. The odd issue crops up now and again but outside the one big bill, has and is, great.

Philip

20. MaseratiCorse

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    What is your PIS currently set at? Ours is 4.5mm and it was a substantial improvement.

21. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Any other owners out there that have the GS as a DD and any new issues arise.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've had mine 12 years and about 45k miles. I only drive it 1-2 days a week around town. The engine and driving has been perfectly reliable. Always goes great. Interior aging and dilapidation are my biggest frustration and disappointment. I had sticky parts done and dash/headliner/etc recovered, but a few years later parts not done stand out discoloring or little trim pieces coming off. I guess they just needed the glue to last less than a decade.

FYI 15 year old car and it is still one of the quickest driving around. I always had the DBW, but doing the springs and sway bars actually improved the launch drastically.

23. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I just saw this (nearly 4 yrs later - sorry) and looked it up. The PIS was set at 4.366 mm at the time, so pretty similar to yours. Worked nicely.

24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Holy F***! That's just insane.

Is that for the bushings or the entire arm? Even so ... For that kind of money you must be able to put new bushings in an arm no?

Eurospares tells a very different story.

25. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson