Will I ever see.... | FerrariChat

Will I ever see....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by juicert, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Will I ever see an AWD ferrari ? In my opinion, a technological feature that is very conspicuous in its absence (given that every subaru, VW, Audi, etc. seems to have it now)

Will I ever see a factory turbo on a ferrari ? In the 355/360/xxx class of cars ?

Will I ever see a targa-top 360 modena ? I just love a targa top so much - the 355 targa was a great design.

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm not a fan of AWD in sports cars.Save it for pick-up trucks and SUV's.I love the targa top cars too.I don't think the 355 targa sold very well that's why they didn't continue that with the 360.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    lets hope not

4. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    The was an ugly project car that was to be an all aluminum concept (I think it was dubbed the 408) that was designed with AWD.

5. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Yes, I did see that earlier thread, and did not see any very convincing arguments.

The only substantive argument for not having AWD is the inability to slide the tail, and this is a silly argument - there is no reason that a modern AWD system could not be push button configurable to allow that, or to even be turned off altogether.

This is along the same lines as cars that ferrari makes with F1 transmissions - you can turn automatic transmission on or off at the push of a button. The ability to turn the AWD on or off, or change its settings is a software issue nowadays, so it wouldn't add any additional complexity or weight to an AWD system.

That being said, the other minor argument about the weight is slightly more sticky, but I can't believe that a nice balance of a 4.8L (or so) engine with a little more power and increased use of aluminum, etc., couldn't be used to offset the weight of adding an AWD system. People are screaming for a more powerful v8 (or v10) in the 3xx class anyway - so you could kill two birds...

The point is, the 360 modena is an absolutely beautiful car - but its performance and technology are getting dated _fast_. Even if the 360 matched the Gallardo in performance (which it clearly doesn't) it is still way behind for lack of AWD, etc. I had the same complaint about late model Diablos lacking an F1 transmission. Behind the times.

If you can't tell, I really, really want to buy a 360, and have been very close to impulsively doing so several times in the last 18 months ... but I just keep checking that urge when I compare the technology of that car to a Gallardo - or even an Audi RS6. Weight is a reasonable argument, but not insurmountable. The whole "soul" issue is not, IMO, a reasonable argument, because all of these driving aids (AWD, ABS, etc.) are just software - if ferrari thinks it through, they'll just make them push-button configurable, and you can slide your tail end around corners all you want :)

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It all depends what you buy the car for. IMO buying a car because it is the latest technology or currently the fastest is immature and pointless, because in 5 minutes somebody will build a better car.

Thus I buy cars that give me the biggest fun factor. You do not need AWD (especially as that ruins the fun factor) and other gadgets to have the most fun.

I would get far more fun and a challenge out of driving a car that I had to drive properly and master than a no brainer AWD car with electronic everything so any d!ckhead could drive it fast. In the end a car that makes you feel like a hero is the best car ... and mastering say an F40 Ferrari would definitely make you feel better than a quick lap in a AWD, high tech. something supercar where the computer is making all the choices for you.

It will probably happen (the AWD Ferrari) but IMO the best cars were built in the 1960's, since then we have gone downhill ... regarding satisfaction and fun factor.

Pete